Magic - trip report in photos and video

ABQrobin

Back to the itinerary...

Amber Cove - what a gorgeous port, but the shopping area had nothing but jewelry stores and such, nothing we like to buy. There was one tiny little shack with locally made stuff, but it was all under $20 as listed on the sign, and it showed. Not great selection. The pool and zipline were awesome. Saw lots of kids in the special kids pool. Saw lots of people kayaking and paddleboarding in the lagoon. I think they did a nice job with this.

San Juan.... it was just HOT and we really enjoyed the port, except for the heat. The forts were great, the restaurant was great.

Sea Days..... the Magic was very rocky the first Sea Day, but we had a huge thunderstorm and cross-winds so understandable. The last Sea Day we did the Behind the Fun Tour which was awesome.

Long story short...... Cruise was mixed about 50/50 on likes and dislikes. Not my favorite cruise but it was still very good.

The snorkeling tours (at St Thomas and Grand Turk) were a huge disappointment for us, as we are scuba divers who have been out of the water for too long due to some minor surgeries. The good thing about that, is when we got home and talked about it, we decided we had to go diving again! So we immediately booked our next cruise for MAY, on the Freedom out of Galveston. We are both going to dive. Yeah.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

robin

If you want to read my FULL report with all the photos...... you can go to my website:

http://www.rnrscuba.net/2017_MagicEastern/CarnivalMagic2017.html

the website format is set up to be viewed on a desktop computer or laptop. It looks like crap if you try to view it on a phone, just a warning.

My DH hasn't begun to do his San Juan photos, so whenever he gets around to it, I will post them there. All the photos on the website are by me right now.

robin

oh....forgot to post one of my favorite photos from the trip..... the FUNNEL.

Mar27_AmberCove249.JPG

on another person's report, it was discussed about the different decor on each ship.

The MAGIC is definitely Art Deco.

tons of pink and turquoise, triangles and squares.

the lobby

2017Mar25_050.JPG

robin

I didn't like Pig and Anchor. I got cold food. The beans tasted really funny.

Spa cabins did get discounts. Acupuncture was $150, we were offered $120 then the next day $100. Worked great.

My hubby is a grill master extraodinaire, so we didn't find the Pig 'n Anchor was worth all the hype. Plus it was windy, even though they have those glass walls along the deck there, so food got cold quick. I was looking forward to the collard greens and cole slaw, they were pretty good. The pork was okay, but not as good as why hubby can do. I think next time we will try it again, and just see if it was an off day, or just the crowds tainted our impression.

robin

• 2 months later...

thank you for the review. great pictures, loved the video of amber cove. we are headed there next spring.

we are doing the magic western Caribbean for Halloween. what type cabin did you have, where was it? and did the big storm affect you in your cabin? like noise.

sorry about all those kids we usually cruise in the fall, and only learned last year that kids in the south get a fall break. arghh! but spring break brings out everyone.

Thank you for posting this review. Will be sailing the same itinerary next year. In San Juan, did you start at El Morro and and walk back toward port, then hit San Cristobel, with the old town in between? Did you take a trolley or taxi to El Morro? Thanks!

Thank you for the review and the pictures! I have never been on the Magic and I will have FOUR sea days! Now I have some ideas about where to go (and not go!) Luckily, my daughter (22) and I both love to read...her in the shade and me in the sun. :cool:

We are on the Magic in 8 weeks. Thanks for your review

On the Glory....years ago, I had an encounter with some teen agers. They were part of a Family Reunion Groups. Unsupervised. Total idiots. they were by the Sushi Bar. A private party for their family was being held in a Club right by it.

They.....Teenagers were Stopping people getting SUSHI particularly Oriental guests, kids. REFUSING to LEt them pass.

I did go get Security guards. Reported them. They came and set those young bullies in order. I watched my back for the rest of the Cruise. NEVER regretted doing it. I Too....Was a Teacher. Librarian. You have to confront them OR let AUTHORITY Confront them.

Advise HAL if cruising on Spring Break again.

Spring Break. Holidays.......Summer..................Carnival is going to have the kiddies. (95% OF guests stay on top of them. The FIVE percent who want to get rid of them.............can create chaos.

Demographics on Carnival.......in Fall. After Christmas until Spring break. Then until Public Schools are out for Summer.....................Few Children. Almost all perfectly behaved. Ditto for Princess even though they don't accept more than 600 non adults on any cruise. Still a lot.

HAL........................almost never see children on there. The ones you see ......perfectly behaved.

The little ones never bother me

Some of the TEENS can make my skin crawl .

Thank you for the GREAT review pictures, and videos. We will be doing a B2B on the Magic in October, so his review is getting us excited for that.

Understand your feelings about cruises with a lot of kids, and the parents who forget to parent when on vacation. When Patti was teaching, we could only cruise during the Summer and Spring break. Also, having two boys, we were adding them into the mix, but they knew the rules and the consequences if they broke them. I am proud to say we never had to confine them to the cabin. :D

Now that Patti has retired we probably will never sail during the Summer or Spring break ever again. I say probably just in case there are grandkids in our future. :D

Thank you for posting this review. Will be sailing the same itinerary next year. In San Juan, did you start at El Morro and and walk back toward port, then hit San Cristobel, with the old town in between? Did you take a trolley or taxi to El Morro? Thanks!

We started up at the highest point, the fort there, then walked the walkway oceanfront between, then down hill through town. No taxi or trolly, all on foot.

Thank you for the review and the pictures! I have never been on the Magic and I will have FOUR sea days! Now I have some ideas about where to go (and not go!) Luckily, my daughter (22) and I both love to read...her in the shade and me in the sun. :cool:

have fun!

thank you for the review. great pictures, loved the video of amber cove. we are headed there next spring.

we are doing the magic western Caribbean for Halloween. what type cabin did you have, where was it? and did the big storm affect you in your cabin? like noise.

sorry about all those kids we usually cruise in the fall, and only learned last year that kids in the south get a fall break. arghh! but spring break brings out everyone.

We had a balcony room on deck 8, no noise at all.

Thanks for your insight. Do you happen to remember if there are any "bike cabs" on the pier at Amber Cove to take you down the pier from the ship (and back)?

yes, lots of pedicabs.

robin