Crown Grill reservations

EliseL

Is it necessary to make reservations for the Crown Grill before the cruise or will there be plenty of times available when we get on the ship. I'd like to pay with my onboard credit. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Is it necessary to make reservations for the Crown Grill before the cruise or will there be plenty of times available when we get on the ship. I'd like to pay with my onboard credit. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I have always found it easy to make reservations once on board. Best way is to visit the Crown Grill on boarding day afternoon. There is usually someone there starting around 2pm. You can also call the DINE line, but may have difficulty getting through.

Booking pre cruise only allows 2 or 3 fixed times.

And they are not times I would pick.

My son made us a gift of a Crown Grill dinner, and the ship didn't get the info (we weren't on the list), I had the letter, but it took them a few minutes to straighten it out. I would wait and handle it onboard.

I was under the impression Princess just recently began taking reservations online for the specialty restaurants. If this is true, it's hard to say if this will make it harder to get reservations on board.

When sailing the Star in January with the option to pre-pay to reserve the Crown Grill, we had no problem making a reservation onboard for our preferred day & time so we could use OBC.

I was under the impression Princess just recently began taking reservations online for the specialty restaurants. If this is true, it's hard to say if this will make it harder to get reservations on board.

This. There aren't enough data points to determine what, if any impact the new procedures have on availability. It stands to reason that some "greater than zero" percentage of time slots will now be gone prior to boarding time. And we also know that pre-booking only allows for a couple of time options and hence pre-booking cannot result in 100% capacity. Where this leaves us is still a bit unknown other than to say that pre-booking will siphon off somewhere between 1% and 99% of all time slots. My guess is that the number will be closer to 30%-40% but that's just a guess. Which means that getting reservations once on board will be tougher, but perhaps negligibly so. I know that 7:30 is one of the two times offered when booking in advance, so if that slot is a personal favorite, I would book ahead. While it is true that 100% of all time slots will not sell out in advance, it is possible that 100% of a particular time slot will.

We've found the DINE line to be way quicker than it one was when call from our cabin.

Sort of funny: We had dinner at Crown Grill and decided to make reservations for another night while we were there.

We told them when we wanted. They told us to wait a while they checked and picked up the phone and called DINE line to make them for us.

Seems everything is computerized now. :rolleyes:

I'm impressed that so many people have had success with the DINE line on embarkation day. Both times I tried it (on separate trips) nobody answered. I've always just walked to the Crown Grill and there was a guy there who wrote our reservation in a book (or on a ledger-type paper, I don't remember for sure).

I'm impressed that so many people have had success with the DINE line on embarkation day. Both times I tried it (on separate trips) nobody answered. I've always just walked to the Crown Grill and there was a guy there who wrote our reservation in a book (or on a ledger-type paper, I don't remember for sure).

Yes! This is the best and quickest way. That's what he is there for. ;)

Yes! This is the best and quickest way. That's what he is there for. ;)

But it does seem to be an inconsistent practice. On our last cruise I showed up in person after boarding and there was no one taking reservations. Instead there was one busser setting tables who looked at me like I had two heads. She said that I had to use the phone to make a reservation so I walked 8 paces to a house phone, dialed and got straight through.

In our recent experience on the Crown, calling Dine line was more effective in getting reservation than in person.