Wine advice

jeast

Hi,

We are staying in Rome (Jewish Ghetto) for a few days before a cruise. We can bring 4 bottles of wine onboard, so we would like to pick some up in Rome before we embark.

Do you have any recommendations for a fairly inexpensive ($20-$30) bottle of red Italian wine that is commonly sold in stores in Rome? For example, you can almost always find KJ chardonnay in most grocery stores here. I don't want to have to hunt it down. I like most reds varieties, so am not fussy about which type.

Thanks for any suggestions!

I'm partial to (love) Amarone Della Valpolicella from the Veneto region of Italy. You can find a few brands for around $20eu in Italy. it is quite expensive stateside. I love the mouth feel of the wine and the alcohol level is usually 15%.

Why not grab a bottle of prosecco for bubbles, a chianti for a tomato-sauce dish at dinner, maybe a super tuscan for a big red meat meal, and that ADV as an accompaniment to a bold, meaty stew . . .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just about any store will have Villa Antinori Toscana. A nice, solid Tuscan red blend. I've seen it around in stores in Florence and Rome. I buy it here at home as my "house wine." Price point is on the $19-24 range.

Another Toscana that I have loved (and now unavailable at my state-run store) is Insoglio del Cinghale Toscana. I definitely have seen that one in a few wine stores in Florence. I have a photo of a bottle of it in the Mercato Centrale - 17.50EU.

If you can find a Brunello in the $30-40 range, I'd take a chance on it. Brunello is my all time favorite Italian Red.

Amarone is an acquired taste. I do like it. Kind of like Zinfandel in that it is too "big" for some folks. I'll say the one I had at Rosciolli with my pasta Amatriciana (Tenuta Sant 'Antonio) was pretty darn good. Amazing what they can do with wine made from raisins!

The OP does not say if they are at all familiar with the various Italian wine grapes (there are over 100). They might be surprised to know that grapes like Chardonnay and Cabernet are not grown (except in very small amounts) in Italy. And you will not find KJ wines in most wine shops of Italy :). If not used to Italian wines we suggest trying a few different grapes at home....such as Sangiovese, Montepulciano d'Abruzzo, Barbera, etc. In Italy, unlike here in the USA/Canada there are fewer big brand name wines. Wine shops (and even grocery stores) will usually carry a variety of wines from smaller producers. Knowing the grapes you prefer makes it much easier to shop for wines in Italy.

Hank

Hello,

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'm writing them all down!

I don't have a lot of knowledge but I have tried the sangiovese and liked it. I pretty much like all reds, from the lighter varietals to a meaty cabernet-the kind that many people don't care for. It is actually fun to do wine tastings with other people, because I always like the ones that are too strong/heavy for them, and I get their extra! Lol. I know KJ isn't sold there; I was just making a comparison to something that can be found almost anywhere stateside.

I have some great suggestions. Thanks so much!!

Italy has lots of approachable, inexpensive wines, especially if you like reds such as the sangiovese you mention.

Here's a quick guide to both the most common white and red wines in Italy: http://www.dummies.com/food-drink/drinks/wine/italian-wine-for-dummies-cheat-sheet/

Unless you like sweet red wine, avoid Lambrusco. Definitely not one of my choices.

having seen that somebody has suggested the Amarone ( which is probably the "WINE" ( at least for me) but a real good amarone would cost not less than 25 euro ( can go up to 100 and even more) a good compromise in my opinion would be a wine called "Ripasso" is made by the same grapes of amarone but with a different process depending by the wineyard it shld be in region of 10/18 euros

Italy has lots of approachable, inexpensive wines, especially if you like reds such as the sangiovese you mention.

Here's a quick guide to both the most common white and red wines in Italy: http://www.dummies.com/food-drink/drinks/wine/italian-wine-for-dummies-cheat-sheet/

Unless you like sweet red wine, avoid Lambrusco. Definitely not one of my choices.

Thanks! Emailed myself this cheat sheet to have it handy. Now I have to see what is available here locally so that I can experiment. :)

Went to the local Safeway and found a bottle of the Villa Antinori Toscana. Having a glass right now.

I definitely feel a bit better about choosing wine in Italy now. Thanks!

Went to the local Safeway and found a bottle of the Villa Antinori Toscana. Having a glass right now.

Happy to hear that! It's a nice little red to keep around the house.

If you're travelling near Modena, try the Lambrusco there. Dry and fabulous, perfect with the local food. The dreadful stuff that I remember from my misspent youth is not the whole story.

Hello,

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'm writing them all down!

I don't have a lot of knowledge but I have tried the sangiovese and liked it. I pretty much like all reds, from the lighter varietals to a meaty cabernet-the kind that many people don't care for. It is actually fun to do wine tastings with other people, because I always like the ones that are too strong/heavy for them, and I get their extra! Lol. I know KJ isn't sold there; I was just making a comparison to something that can be found almost anywhere stateside.

I have some great suggestions. Thanks so much!!

If you like Sangiovese...you will find it very easy to buy wines. It is one of the more common varieties in Italy. You might want to simply look for a Chianti (the primary grape will be Sangiovese). Personally we would suggest paying a few Euros more and buying a Chianti "Reserva" which will be aged longer then the regular Chiantis and have more flavor and body. There are some that would recommend a Chianti Classico Reserva (the Classico is the sub region within the Chianti wine district) although we have been happy with Reservas from nearly anywhere in the Chianti wine region. You would probably also enjoy Montepulciano wines...so perhaps you might want to get one from your local wine shop (as for a recommendation). Do not get too hung up on "brand name" Italian wines because most of the reasonably priced wines (especially with Chiantis) will be from smaller producers that are generally unknown on our side the the Atlantic,

There are also some great higher priced Italian wines. The big rage, the past few years, are wines known as "Super Tuscans" which are from Tuscany (many come from the Chianti area). But they are blends (similar to what we call Meritage) which do not meet the strict requirement of the wine district to use their AOC. For example, a wine that says Chianti on its label must be at least 80% Sangiovese. But a wine maker might be able to produce a much better wine that would only be 50% Sangiovese...but then they are not permitted to call it a Chianti... Like France, the Italians do have many wine producing rules.

Hank

While the Antinori is not a bad wine at all, if you can get it at home, try something different in Italy! As others have said, any of the local wine shops will have great, reasonably priced wine, and you can try stuff that you won't be able to get here. I love a good Brunello, and I can't wait to be in Italy next week to have some when they won't cost as much as they do here :) An Amarone is quite good, but it's a big wine, and is much better with the right food as opposed to just having a glass to drink on it's own.

"An Amarone is quite good, but it's a big wine, and is much better with the right food as opposed to just having a glass to drink on it's own."

. . . the point of it all - thank you. Drink appropriate wine with appropriate food. Life is too short to do otherwise.

An Amarone della Valpolicella by itself as a sipper - please . . .

"An Amarone is quite good, but it's a big wine, and is much better with the right food as opposed to just having a glass to drink on it's own."

. . . the point of it all - thank you. Drink appropriate wine with appropriate food. Life is too short to do otherwise.

An Amarone della Valpolicella by itself as a sipper - please . . .

They say there's a lid for every pot! I'm sure there are more than a few people who enjoy a glass of Amarone on its own. :D

Here is what we have done in more than a few places in Italy. We go into the store, often a smaller deli or grocery, and have a gander at the wines. We generally know the type of reds that we like but are willing to try anything and we actually prefer to try a local variety.

We don't speak Italian. We pick out two bottles of red in our price range and take then back to the counter, hold them up and shrug. Inevitably the clerk understands. Sometimes they enthusiastically select one, sometimes they have walked us back to the shelf and pointed to yet a different bottle and given us the high five sign.

One of the nicest reds we have had came from a barrel in the deli. It was apparently made by the owner's cousin. He filled an empty bottle for us. I was very surprised...did it as a bit of a lark and it turned out well.

This has worked well for us on numerous trips through Italy. And in Portugal and Spain.

I recommended some names because the OP could find them here, sample, and if they liked, they had one "known" wine they could buy. I've bought some unknown wines around in Italy, Germany, Spain, France, etc. Some were good, some horrendous. Sometimes, all those black roosters on the Chianti bottles give me bad dreams!!

• 2 weeks later...