Holiday Inn Old Sydney the Rocks pre cruise?

It's just across the street from the OPT cruise ship dock. Very popular hotel for those cruising from OPT.

If you haven't yet, take a look at Google maps for that area of Sydney to get an idea how close the hotel

is to the dock.

If your room faces George Street, you will be able to look out the window and see your ship, if it's on the right level you may be able to see what they are serving for breakfast.

Yep, real close.

Thanks, everyone! Just booked the Holiday Inn for our pre cruise stay. Sounds perfect.

Now, we're trying to plan after the cruise ( 25 Oct - 30 Oct). Wanting to get off the ship then out of the "city" a bit to see some nature (including kangaroos :-) for a couple of nights. Then back to Sydney.

Thanks, everyone! Just booked the Holiday Inn for our pre cruise stay. Sounds perfect.

Now, we're trying to plan after the cruise ( 25 Oct - 30 Oct). Wanting to get off the ship then out of the "city" a bit to see some nature (including kangaroos :-) for a couple of nights. Then back to Sydney.

Roos are pretty easy.

Zoo or

Wildlife Park for up close.

Canberra or

Hunter Valley in the wild.

What else interests you, then we can suggest a direction.

We're not interested in wine tasting, and would like to stay someplace "rustic" where we would encounter wildlife. A place fairly close to mild/moderate hiking, maybe bicycling. Someplace we could venture out from on foot or in a car to get a feel for this part of Australia. I hope that makes sense!

We're not interested in wine tasting, and would like to stay someplace "rustic" where we would encounter wildlife. A place fairly close to mild/moderate hiking, maybe bicycling. Someplace we could venture out from on foot or in a car to get a feel for this part of Australia. I hope that makes sense!

The Blue Mountains 2 hours west of Sydney. Blackheath is a good base for bushwalking especially Govetts Leap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Blue Mountains 2 hours west of Sydney. Blackheath is a good base for bushwalking especially Govetts Leap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And do Featherdale wildlife park on the way to get up close with some Kangaroos, Emus and Koalas.

Blue Mountains area looks like a very good option for us. We're now looking at accommodations in Katoomba or Blackheath. They look like good spots to stay to explore the area.

Blue Mountains area looks like a very good option for us. We're now looking at accommodations in Katoomba or Blackheath. They look like good spots to stay to explore the area.

Google "bush walking in Blue Mountains". From "Visit NSW" list of best bush walks, you can decide best location for you to stay. I prefer Leura, where there is a beautiful short walk which ends with a view of the famous Three Sisters from the back. However, Katoomba is excellent also for viewing the Three Sisters from the front. In addition, there are lots of different walks to choose from.

Marion, any recommendation on accommodations in Leura?

If you are only staying for a short period, my favourite accommodation is Wardorf Leura Resort, set on 4.1/2 acres of landscaped gardens, opposite the Leura Golf Club. You can do a tour of Lady Fairfax historic gardens established in 1933.

If you are staying longer, you have a selection of beautiful holiday houses to choose from.

If you are only staying for a short period, my favourite accommodation is Wardorf Leura Resort, set on 4.1/2 acres of landscaped gardens, opposite the Leura Golf Club. You can do a tour of Lady Fairfax historic gardens established in 1933.

If you are staying longer, you have a selection of beautiful holiday houses to choose from.

Looks very nice, but a bit over our budget. I think we've narrowed it down to Blue Mountains Heritage Hotel in Katoomba or High Mountains Motor Inn in Blackheath

Looks very nice, but a bit over our budget. I think we've narrowed it down to Blue Mountains Heritage Hotel in Katoomba or High Mountains Motor Inn in Blackheath

Nothing wrong with those places, you can order the full Australian breakfast - Eggs, Snags, Bacon, Beans, Hash Browns, Mushrooms, Toast. Just like the Full English, minus ye olde Black Pudding. You could have a Mrs Macs Pie for lunch and a 500gm T Bone, washed down with an icy VB for tea. All lubbly Jubbly Aussie Cuisine.

As Uncle Les always says.....Above all, Enjoy !!!:')

Nothing wrong with those places, you can order the full Australian breakfast - Eggs, Snags, Bacon, Beans, Hash Browns, Mushrooms, Toast. Just like the Full English, minus ye olde Black Pudding. You could have a Mrs Macs Pie for lunch and a 500gm T Bone, washed down with an icy VB for tea. All lubbly Jubbly Aussie Cuisine.

As Uncle Les always says.....Above all, Enjoy !!!:')

With billy tea and damper for morning tea, a cuppa and a lamington for arvo tea and pav for dessert (with ice cream).

(silly auto correct thought Billy tea should be bitty tea, for whatever that is)

Edited by GUT2407

With bitty tea and damper for morning tea, a cuppa and a lamington for arvo tea and pav for dessert (with ice cream).

And the local Blue Mountains Rissole or Bowlo is always good for the Roast of the Day or a mixed grill. Now we have confused poor Cathy.:eek:

Blackheath Golfie or Katoomba Rissole, good feed there old son.:halo:

And the local Blue Mountains Rissole or Bowlo is always good for the Roast of the Day or a mixed grill. Now we have confused poor Cathy.:eek:

Blackheath Golfie or Katoomba Rissole, good feed there old son.:halo:

Only said to Mrs Gut last night, haven't had a good mixed (or even farmyard) grill for yonks.

Came about because some friends are at Cradle Mt and last time I was there the servo opposite the van park served a great one.

Only said to Mrs Gut last night, haven't had a good mixed (or even farmyard) grill for yonks.

Came about because some friends are at Cradle Mt and last time I was there the servo opposite the van park served a great one.

Indeed, ye olde Mixed Grill...Steak, Chop, Snag, Rissole, Bacon, Egg, accompanied by chips and gravy, what a feed, heart attack material, but great tucker. When I am in the country I like to hunt out a mixed grill. Country pubs still have them, but a dying piece of Aussie cuisine.:loudcry:

Indeed, ye olde Mixed Grill...Steak, Chop, Snag, Rissole, Bacon, Egg, accompanied by chips and gravy, what a feed, heart attack material, but great tucker. When I am in the country I like to hunt out a mixed grill. Country pubs still have them, but a dying piece of Aussie cuisine.:loudcry:

I skip the gravy, don't like it with eggs. Good old tomato sauce for me.

But haven't had a good mixed grill in a while.

Though my daughter still talks in awe about the one at Cradle Mt and the Steak she had at Goulburn