Last refurbs for Marina and Riviera?

writer100

Only been on these two O ship--Marina and Riviera--and that was several years ago. Has either been in dry dock for refurbishments in the last 2-3 years? Or is such action scheduled in the near future?

The CC boards are, as I have learned, the source of all knowledge. (At least as it pertains to cruising.)

FYI, there is a cruise review on the Seabourn board that compares an O and SB experience, and concludes that Polo has the best steak at sea.

The devils advocate in me, particularly when responding to a "writer" as in this case, tempts me to tell you to go out and do your own darned research.

We are not your interns-

If you do you'll find that Oceania ships are refurbished every three or four years dependent on need, and they are generally so well maintained that it is difficult to tell in which direction a wall is being painted.

FYI, there is a cruise review on the Seabourn board that compares an O and SB experience, and concludes that Polo has the best steak at sea.

I was on Riviera in January; it looked okay to me but then I don't go around looking for peeling paint.

As to the Seabourn comparison I have to laugh tho Berlitz also loves Polo. Berlitz can be wrong - to my sorrow I relied on that opinion when I cruised on Sea Dream which I found had quite mediocre cuisine. Polo was a huge disappointment in January even though I had limited expectations that a cruise ship could duplicate a first class steakhouse. I have posted my review of my 1/3/17 trip; my plan when I dine at Polo on my next trip (12/12/17 is to order Lobster; they seem to do well with that.

I am going to say it was 2015 or 2016 but they maintain the ships very well inbetween refurbs

Any firm dates for the next one? Also steak is pretty good in Polo. As good as any I have had at sea.

You could call Oceania I am sure they would know

Thought someone on these boards would know. Seem to always have the information we ask for. A good thing.

i had the Prime Rib in Polo in January; it had no flavor, the accompanying "au jus" was brown gravy, the baked potato was embarrassingly small, the sour cream was second rate. I was not alone in my assessment. I was contacted by phone by the head chef the next day who admitted as much, and specifically about the lack of roast flavor.

The rib eye my wife had was strangely cut on the diagonal, was poorly marbled and lacked flavor. Neither preparation was professional. Even Tad's steakhouse had a more flavorful product if you know what that was. I can't opine on the other steak cuts but based on what I had I'm amazed at the positive comments I read.

The other specialty restaurants were so much better IMO, particularly Red Ginger. I was able to eat there 3 times - by checking at 8 in the morning of the day in question you can Reserve if there are any openings; otherwise you can just go to the restaurant when it opens.

i had the Prime Rib in Polo in January; it had no flavor, the accompanying "au jus" was brown gravy, the baked potato was embarrassingly small, the sour cream was second rate. I was not alone in my assessment. I was contacted by phone by the head chef the next day who admitted as much, and specifically about the lack of roast flavor.

The rib eye my wife had was strangely cut on the diagonal, was poorly marbled and lacked flavor. Neither preparation was professional. Even Tad's steakhouse had a more flavorful product if you know what that was. I can't opine on the other steak cuts but based on what I had I'm amazed at the positive comments I read.

The other specialty restaurants were so much better IMO, particularly Red Ginger. I was able to eat there 3 times - by checking at 8 in the morning of the day in question you can Reserve if there are any openings; otherwise you can just go to the restaurant when it opens.

Tads. wow have not heard that name in awhile. Cooked their steaks in the window.. More fat than meat. The flavor was the fat. I will stick with Polo.

Our recent experience in Polo on Insignia was quite similar. My wife and I had four different cuts of beef...2 each...in two visits and all four were not what one would expect from what is described as aged prime beef. They were tasteless and tough. The steaks in NCL's steakhouse, Cagney's, are far better even though not advertised as USDA prime. Our lobsters on a third visit to Polo were close to inedible, dry and mealy.

We thought the food in Toscana was far better.

Toscana was very nice; among other things they prepared a lobster diavolo which had a very nice spice level; I was disappointed we couldn't get there twice; I will make more if an effort this time.