Leeway with Ages in Teen Program?

I know you think this is really funny but it isn't. I overlooked the word 'during' because we are celebrating her birthday during the cruise. Plus, I wouldn't think a week is that big of a difference. It's not like booking it at a bar at all because this is not a law it is a policy. Honestly, I wanted them both in Splash because I don't want them with your 17 yo. On other ships they have a young teen area and an older teen area.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm sure folks with 10 year olds don't want them with 14 year olds. NCL makes the rules very clear, I'm guessing many kids on the ship are close to being in older groups. You really can't fault them for following their own rules they aren't a secret.

I know you think this is really funny but it isn't. I overlooked the word 'during' because we are celebrating her birthday during the cruise. Plus, I wouldn't think a week is that big of a difference. It's not like booking it at a bar at all because this is not a law it is a policy. Honestly, I wanted them both in Splash because I don't want them with your 17 yo. On other ships they have a young teen area and an older teen area.

If they change the rules for you, wouldn't they have to change them for everybody or should they just change it for you? NCL has to draw the line somewhere, don't they? You don't want them with a 17 year old, so maybe someone with a 10 year old, doesn't want their daughter to be with a 14 year old, as there is a big diffrence between those ages as well.

Yes, but I do want my daughter to be able to be with her friend for her birthday. If this is in Splash or Entourage, they should be able to celebrate together. After all they are only a year apart. To say that a parent would be ok with their 10yo child being with my near 13yo, but not her 14yo friend is so arbitrary.

I am concerned.... I booked this cruise for my daughter's 13th birthday and she is bringing a friend who is 14. The whole purpose and point of the cruise was to celebrate her birthday with her friend. They were really looking forward to going to the teen club to meet other people. Though, my daughter won't be turning 13 until a week after our cruise. But, we booked this cruise because we wanted these ports or the week of her birthday the Escape is going to the Eastern Caribbean. I thought it would be ok because on their sight it says, "Children turning thirteen (13) years old during the cruise are welcome to register for and participate in the Entourage Program beginning embarkation evening." I may need to speak to a manager. We have spent over $5000 on this trip. And for it to be ruined over a policy that will keep my daughter and her friend apart. I'd much rather them hang out in the club than roam the ship. If they won't let my daughter into Entourage maybe they will let her friend stay with her in Splash?

I am so sorry that your almost teen and her friend won't be able to hang out in the teen club. If for some reason you do get an exception, We would love for you to come back here and let us know. In cruising with my kid on Norwegian since he was almost 2 until now him being 14. I have not seen exceptions except 1 time.

I homeschool my kid so we can travel. We were on a Panama Canal Cruise. He was 11 at the time. There was also 1 kid 13 and 1 kid that was 15. All other kids on the ship were under the age of 6. We met the one family with the 15 y/o (homeschoolers also) The family with the 13 y/o we only a couple times around the ship. About 4-5 days into the 16 day cruise, I was talking with the Cruise Director about my son. Told him we had met the one family of the 15 y/o and the boys were hanging out together playing video games on their Ipads. We asked if the 2 boys could sit in the Teen Entourage and play video games. He said, they never waiver on the rules, but he would ask the Hotel Director. Well, about that time, the HD was walking by. I approached him and with the CD explained the situation again. The HD understood the dilemma we were in, we said he wanted to communicate with the other family to ask their feelings. After another day. The 2 boys were allowed to hang out together in the Entourage area and play video games. The 13 y/o never wanted to participate. We found out toward the end of the cruise, we was from another country and didn't understand English, so stuck with his family.

So, to say an exception is never made I guess is not really true. But the circumstances and the avenues we had to go through make our situation extremely different from one where there are a number of kids and teens on a ship.

Good Luck to you

We also homeschool our daughter and her friend is taking off of school since it is after testing. We are not traveling during a peak time, like when school is out. So, hopefully there will be other homeschooling families as well.

Yes, but I do want my daughter to be able to be with her friend for her birthday. If this is in Splash or Entourage, they should be able to celebrate together. After all they are only a year apart. To say that a parent would be ok with their 10yo child being with my near 13yo, but not her 14yo friend is so arbitrary.

I've had 12 year olds in NCL, they pretty much hung out outside the kids club. I've had kids in entourage, they don't spend much time there, it's a meet up stop. I think you are really making a big deal out of nothing. I hope you can explain this to your daughter without being upset. I have a teen who has aged out of the teen club, he will still meet others.

And your daughter and her friend can celebrate her birthday together, the following week, on her birthday!

Sorry, but this is 100% your fault. She is turning 13 after the cruise, she will not be allowed in entourage. They aren't going to risk legal liability because you spent $5000 on a cruise. I'll have 3 teens in it in a few weeks, their older siblings are no longer allowed. Teens use the space mainly to meet up, but spend the majority of the cruise wandering anyway, sports deck, pool, restaurants... It's ironic that you find fault with Carnival breaking the rules, yet fault NCL for not breaking the rules.

This! While I understand the frustration, especially if bringing friends that are in different groups, it's time to enact your parental authority and let your child know they will be separate, but they will be able to have certain times together, or forego kids clubs and do water slides, activities and other things as a family. Being that age, they can also get a yellow (I dunno if it's always yellow, it was on 4/15 cruise) bracelet that allows them to check themselves out of kids club. Our son was 11, and we didn't think that was old enough to let him run wild. That said, I don't have an issue being a parent and telling him the rules, whether he likes it or not.

No you miss the point, the cruise is her birthday party. She shouldn't have to celebrate the next week with her friend. That's why I booked the cruise and paid for her friend to come along.

But, if what you are saying is true, then perhaps they will meet up with people out in the hall.

No you miss the point, the cruise is her birthday party. She shouldn't have to celebrate the next week with her friend. That's why I booked the cruise and paid for her friend to come along.

But, if what you are saying is true, then perhaps they will meet up with people out in the hall.

I don't believe anyone is misunderstanding, we completely understand. That said, your expectations were incorrect, and as a parent you communicate them to your child and explain that they won't be in kids club together but they can go to separate groups if they'd like to meet others and then.. Meet up for water slides, escape room, onboard activities, lunch, and so on..

The fact that you think this somehow greatly diminishes the fact that you are bringing her and her friend on an amazing trip is your problem alone. If you focus on the negative and go to your child without spinning it as a positive you have only yourself to blame.. Explain things to her, tell her all the fun things there are to do, and tell her if she doesn't like it, you can cancel it and you all can stay home (yes, that's a bluff). My guess is she'll deal. If you go into it apologizing and making it sound like you really messed up, she'll play you as a fiddle, not to mention you'll be focusing her on the negative instead of the amazing trip overall!

No, YOU miss the point. You booked a birthday party that cannot work the way you want it to, so now you are sore. You screwed up. Own it.

I've had 12 year olds in NCL, they pretty much hung out outside the kids club. I've had kids in entourage, they don't spend much time there, it's a meet up stop. I think you are really making a big deal out of nothing. I hope you can explain this to your daughter without being upset. I have a teen who has aged out of the teen club, he will still meet others.

And your daughter and her friend can celebrate her birthday together, the following week, on her birthday!

I was thinking the same thing. Why the big fuss about the clubs - if they are different ages that fall into different clubs, then why can't they just hang out somewhere else together?

First, they will not make exceptions - its a simple matter of if they do it for you....

That said, for the birthday itself (and there may be others), it may be worth asking the respective club staffs if they would be willing to arrange some kind of joint bday party for one event that both groups could do in a common location 2 or 3 days in. I have seen joint activities before like movie nights, etc. That way they could introduce friends they have made in their respective group to each other and can choose to hang out other places than the clubs later.

No guarantee they will do this, but it would be a reasonable request (where asking them to break the rules is not).

First, they will not make exceptions - its a simple matter of if they do it for you....

That said, for the birthday itself (and there may be others), it may be worth asking the respective club staffs if they would be willing to arrange some kind of joint bday party for one event that both groups could do in a common location 2 or 3 days in. I have seen joint activities before like movie nights, etc. That way they could introduce friends they have made in their respective group to each other and can choose to hang out other places than the clubs later.

No guarantee they will do this, but it would be a reasonable request (where asking them to break the rules is not).

My last cruise had nearly 1000 kids. Combining 2 groups would literally mean hundreds of kids. If you honestly think that hundreds of kids should have their programs adjusted in order to accommodate this girl's precious birthday then this kid really is being treated like Veruca Salt.

My daughter and niece are best friends, 2 out of 3 cruises together they have been in different groups. They still had a ball. Younger than what you are discussing mind you.

This isn't NCL's fault or problem. They either spend some time in their respective clubs and some time together or they forget the clubs, either way I'm sure they'll have a ball.

Next time you need to read slower [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Honestly, this issue will be a deal breaker. They're flexibility in accommodating my daughter who will be 13 a week after sailing is very important. Like I said, the whole purpose of the cruise was to celebrate her birthday. We allowed her to invite her friend. How awful to have to go to a separate club than your best friend for your birthday! Seriously, depending on how this issue is handled, it could ruin my child's birthday and we will never choose Norwegian again. We live in Florida and have cruised Carnival and Disney. Carnival allowed my 15yo, at the time, sister off the boat without parental permission!! As you can see, we aren't cruising with them anymore either. Might have to try another line after this.

You should have researched that before booking. absolutely no leeway on this at all.

It won't happen. They 100% will not allow it. I don't know why you are still asking ...

Yes, I realize that I overlooked an important detail. I'm not saying that this is somehow NCL fault. I am saying that what sets certain companies above the rest is their customer service. That even though this was my mistake, an excellent company will not fault me and will be accommodating if at all possible. It's just what sets some brands above the others.

Yes, I realize that I overlooked an important detail. I'm not saying that this is somehow NCL fault. I am saying that what sets certain companies above the rest is their customer service. That even though this was my mistake, an excellent company will not fault me and will be accommodating if at all possible. It's just what sets some brands above the others.

I would not want a 12-year old with 16- and 17-year olds. Excellent customer service, as far as I am concerned.

So Carnival are above NCL because they bend their rules on kids club ages?

Hopefully no child suffers an injury whilst in the wrong age group and the company insurance company tell them there is no grounds for payout.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As far as parenting my child goes, we will discuss what I discovered and make a plan that works with our family. I don't expect that she will say register for the separate clubs. She is a bit slow to warm up, so she will do better with a friend she knows. With the on board communication through the app they may be able to just keep in touch and enjoy the ship at their leisure. We were already going to give them permission to come and go from the club as they please. And it sounds like there are some joint activities. So here's hoping, they won't miss out on the like the dodgeball tournaments and movie nights in other areas of the boat. It's not so much about going to the club together as it is about being able to enjoy those special activities together.

To me good customer service has to do with things like, offering a free meal because they messed up my dinner reservation NOT changing their rules because they don't suit me or if I made a mistake

Edited by hansolosmom

Wow, you aren't getting this.. Best of luck with you... Go throw your hissy fit with NCL, see how far it gets you. This isn't customer service related, this is a customer that thinks they are special. Do yourself and your Daughter a favor and suck it up, or cancel.

My 12 year old is basically 13, this month we introduced her teenage privileges we promised her like wearing make up and watching PG-13 movies. When I first was planning, I was planning for them to be in Splash because I'm not keen on my 13 yo being in a club with 17yo either. But, we left her friend choice up to her and the friend's parents of course. She ended up choosing a friend who was older than her. So it is what it is.