Leeway with Ages in Teen Program?

Also, in discussion I found out my daughter's friend isn't 14 yet. So, it's my near 13 yo and her 13 yo friend. Not that it matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You really hijacked the heck out of the O.P's thread. :rolleyes:

I think this is the perfect opportunity for the mother to tell her 12 year old princess that no, in the real world, unfortunately businesses don't always care what you want or need and as we get older we have to understand that. I'd also explain to her that if she doesn't think her friend can pick good friends, then maybe she needs to choose her friends a little more wisely.

Sometimes the best lessons children learn are when they are not able to do what they want.

It is worthy of note that due to various issues, almost every, if not every cruise line has similar policies and are very inflexible, as do land based programs like resorts with kids clubs, etc. This is not just an NCL thing, Disney, Princess, RCCL are just as strict (at least policy based) - not sure about Carnival or Celebrity.

Ditto places like Beaches and even Disney.

Fairness isn't about everyone getting the same thing. It's about each person getting what they need. Otherwise, there would be no Americans with disabilities act. Because why does that person get extra breaks in the work day just because they have a disability. That's not fair.

False analogy.

Needs and wants are not the same thing. A disabled person may actually need an extra break for health reasons. Your daughter does not need to be in an older group for health reasons. She wants to be in that group.

This! While I understand the frustration, especially if bringing friends that are in different groups, it's time to enact your parental authority and let your child know they will be separate, but they will be able to have certain times together, or forego kids clubs and do water slides, activities and other things as a family. Being that age, they can also get a yellow (I dunno if it's always yellow, it was on 4/15 cruise) bracelet that allows them to check themselves out of kids club. Our son was 11, and we didn't think that was old enough to let him run wild. That said, I don't have an issue being a parent and telling him the rules, whether he likes it or not.

This!! They don't even have to be in the kid's club!

Except, this would t be an issue on Disney. They have a kids club that is 7-12 and a teen club that is 13-17. But, they also have a preteen club that is 11-14. So, this wouldn't be an issue even if they are strict on their ages. There is a space for 12 and 13 yo to be together. But, you get what you pay for.

Yes, I realize that I overlooked an important detail. I'm not saying that this is somehow NCL fault. I am saying that what sets certain companies above the rest is their customer service. That even though this was my mistake, an excellent company will not fault me and will be accommodating if at all possible. It's just what sets some brands above the others.

In other words, you are above the rules.

My 12 year old is basically 13, this month we introduced her teenage privileges we promised her like wearing make up and watching PG-13 movies. When I first was planning, I was planning for them to be in Splash because I'm not keen on my 13 yo being in a club with 17yo either. But, we left her friend choice up to her and the friend's parents of course. She ended up choosing a friend who was older than her. So it is what it is.

This issue has nothing to do with parenting. This is a case of you deciding what you want the rules to be, and pitching a fit if you don't get your way. What if some parent doesn't want their child with a 12 year old even though you think it is all right?

Good customer service in this is case is to tell you that they cannot accommodate your wishes, but next year when you come back they will be happy to assist you.

Exactly, so perhaps other ships have a better model. To have a young teen group and an older teen group. This way my 13 yo isn't with your 10 yo or your 17 yo.

The fallacy of this argument is that you have a 12 year old at the time of sailing, NOT a 13 year old.

The person I am quoting needs to stop being a helicopter parent.

It is clear that no one in this thread is going to convince her that she is wrong, and is not going to get her way. She should cancel this cruise and go on Disney whihc has a "pre teen club".

Edited by zqvol

It's not about being above the rules. It's about company's that go above and beyond. Disney and Apple are such companies. You pay higher prices, but you get excellent service. My laptop had soda spilled on it a week after I purchased it. Apple replaced it with a new one even though it was my fault. It's that kind of service that gains brand loyalty. Now our home is filled with iPhones, iPads, iPods, and an Apple TV.

Except, this would t be an issue on Disney. They have a kids club that is 7-12 and a teen club that is 13-17. But, they also have a preteen club that is 11-14. So, this wouldn't be an issue even if they are strict on their ages. There is a space for 12 and 13 yo to be together. But, you get what you pay for.

So now you want your own special snowflake club? You book a cruise on a somewhat budget mainstream cruise line, and except them to bow to your wishes? You realize there will be hundreds of kids close to the cutoff? I've been a parent for more than 20 years, tell your kid "suck it up buttercup!"

I booked Norweigian hoping it would be a step above Carnival. Maybe I was wrong.

You weren't, you just made a mistake posting in this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I booked Norweigian hoping it would be a step above Carnival. Maybe I was wrong.

They are more alike than they are different, and as far as being a step above, all the mass market lines are pretty much the same.

They are more alike than they are different, and as far as being a step above, all the mass market lines are pretty much the same.

Hmm...I would consider Celebrity mass market but a step above based on personal experience.

The rest (and we've done the vast majority) I would agree.

Back to thread topic, the lines have to be pretty strict with this for a variety of reasons. I've seen Princess stretch it on RARE occasions but rules are generally rules. Having said that, I do wonder why threads have to turn into bizarre personal attacks.

Hi! I'm sorry things aren't working as you had hoped for the girls Clubs on the cruise.

But, I really think things will work out really well anyway and that they will have the greatest time ever.

We brought our grandkids on an Alaskan cruise with us. My grandson was 16 and he hung out with kids outside of the Club activities.

My granddaughter was about 10 or so. She went to the Club many times. But how she really met her closest friends was at the pool. Lots of kids there during the day. It's surprising how easily most kids make friends while having a good time in the pool.

The girls also set up meeting times for breakfast dates. They met in the buffet for breakfast. I went along and sat at a different table. They had fancy dress up times and met to eat together, again with parents close by in the buffet.

They met at the arcade at pre-set times, too.

I really think it will all work out just fine. There are so many opportunities that you could work out for the girls outside of their Kids Clubs.

I also think that NCL has the White Hot Party (different name now, I think). I think I've read that they have a time for families earlier. The girls would love that and probably see lots of their friends there.

There are a lot of family type activities that you can all do together.

Then vote with your wallet and rebook on Disney. The onus is on you to do your research and choose the product that best suits your needs and budget.

You are making this into an issue. If the girl has had as difficult a life as you mentioned upthread, then she should be ecstatic to go on a cruise and have such a fuss being made over her birthday. There is no issue here, except the one that you are creating :rolleyes: