Booked on Carnival Fascination, but very concerned ( Stabilizer noise? )

We just sailed on Fascination last week. We were on deck 6 (Upper) and slept great until reaching port each morning. The noise begins about 30 - 60 minutes from port: A lot of noise including horn blowing and the whole boat shaking... a lot. I'm not sure if it was engine noise, propellers reversing (I'm pretty sure we backed into most ports), stabilizers or a combination of all. Also, we had a balcony room and my neighbors found it necessary to let their exterior door slam shut as they went in and out of the cabin. We were courteous and held our door so it would close relatively quietly. My mornings began every day (except sea day) at about 5:45.

Do you, by chance do reviews of your cruises? I would love to hear about it. We sail in October and I am trying to soak up as much info as I can.

I've never heard it, and the crew sleep lower down than passengers, and I've spent a few thousand days on cruise ships. A stabilizer makes no more noise than your hand when you trail it under the water as you are paddled along in a canoe.

I was hoping you would comment here. I think the person that the OP asked at the front desk about the noise was just telling her something/anything to make her go away (they tend to do that fairly often). I have never "heard" stabilizers on any of our almost 40 cruises and we have been on Decks 3-9 forward, midship and aft.

To the OP...please try not to worry. I think the noise you heard what probably not the stabilizers and something else peculiar to that ship and you will most likely not hear it again. Enjoy your cruise! :)

I've never heard it, and the crew sleep lower down than passengers, and I've spent a few thousand days on cruise ships. A stabilizer makes no more noise than your hand when you trail it under the water as you are paddled along in a canoe.

Correct. The stabilizer itself makes no noise. However, the actuator that extends and retracts the stab will make noise, whether it's electric or hydraulic.

Do you, by chance do reviews of your cruises? I would love to hear about it. We sail in October and I am trying to soak up as much info as I can.

I have never done a review but am thinking about it. We had a rough return home after learning on Saturday that our dog was very sick. We had to put him to sleep the day after getting home. I would love to answer any questions you have. You can message me so as to not highjack this thread.

Correct. The stabilizer itself makes no noise. However, the actuator that extends and retracts the stab will make noise, whether it's electric or hydraulic.

Stabilizers are hydraulically operated, but use a motor to produce the hydraulic pressure. The stabilizers are only extended or retracted once, not all night long, though they do rotate along their axis much like airplane ailerons. However, if anyone can distinguish the small amount of noise from the running pump or moving hydraulic fluid from the background noise of the engine room where it is located, I'll give you the ship. I have never been able, either standing next to it, or living a couple decks above it, to determine a noise that indicates whether the stabilizer is operating or not. Compare the sound of a 50hp electric motor to a 4-5,000hp electric motor driving an A/C compressor, or an 18,000 hp diesel engine in the same compartment.

Edited by chengkp75

We just sailed on Fascination last week. We were on deck 6 (Upper) and slept great until reaching port each morning. The noise begins about 30 - 60 minutes from port: A lot of noise including horn blowing and the whole boat shaking... a lot. I'm not sure if it was engine noise, propellers reversing (I'm pretty sure we backed into most ports), stabilizers or a combination of all. Also, we had a balcony room and my neighbors found it necessary to let their exterior door slam shut as they went in and out of the cabin. We were courteous and held our door so it would close relatively quietly. My mornings began every day (except sea day) at about 5:45.

Question: Island time and Ship Time are 100% the same at all ports this time of year, right? You never have to change your watch?

I sleep lightly and I just carry Benedryl with me...2 of those and I get at least 5-6 GOOD hours of sleep...the remaining ones are iffy but that's the only thing I've found to help me. I've never tried anything stronger. I have not heard anything on any ship and I've been everywhere from Riviera Deck to the Lido Deck ( with the exception of the anchor in a porthole room) Try to take a small fan ( I use one for white noise) and bring the earplugs..heck it can't hurt. Hope things work out for you!

That noise is from the thrusters, which they use when docking and leaving port.

Cheers!

Since my wife can't sleep with intermittent noise, we always carry an electric noise machine. Works great. However, the first night on a cruise, the dang thing stopped working. Two hours of listening to toss and turn and griping! Had a brilliant idea. The cell phone search found an APP ! 20 minutes later, nice peaceful snore and then I could go back to sleep. Now, we just use the cell, less to pack

I was going to suggest the exact same thing and the same thing happened to me except I forgot to pack my sound machine. I found the app called "white noise" and have used it ever since. I love it because you can actually customize the sounds and play multiple sounds at the same time. I always sleep well on a cruise ship though.

That noise is from the thrusters, which they use when docking and leaving port.

Cheers!

Thanks Wheels! I struggled to know which way was front and back never mind knowing the mechanics of the ship :) I should mention that I am typically an early riser anyway. I didn't mean to make it sound like the noise ruined a good night's sleep, because it didn't. I'm a "get up and get going" kind of person. However, my husband and son are not the same. It was difficult being awake a good one and half hours earlier than they were. I should have just gone up to the Lido deck to enjoy the early mornings.

Thanks Wheels! I struggled to know which way was front and back never mind knowing the mechanics of the ship :) I should mention that I am typically an early riser anyway. I didn't mean to make it sound like the noise ruined a good night's sleep, because it didn't. I'm a "get up and get going" kind of person. However, my husband and son are not the same. It was difficult being awake a good one and half hours earlier than they were. I should have just gone up to the Lido deck to enjoy the early mornings.

I am figuratively in the same boat as you...waking up before anyone else on the ship. I do remember hearing those thrusters for the first time on the Fascination back in 2010 when I was on the Main deck. I didn't know what was happening and it seemed to last forever. First the pumps come on which generate the pressure and then everything else follows. Quite loud indeed.

Good day!

Brad

:) Easy to make your noise fears go away - if ear plugs are not your thing go to bed bath and beyond and buy their cheapest ($20) white noise machine. With the machine, You will have choices of gentle rain and many other sounds. You will hear nothing from the ship.....:cool:

Try it at home for a few nights and you will have it with you always...:)

It is not stabilizer or thruster noise hat bothers my wife, just any noise. Snoring, running in the halls, kids knocking on the door and running, just about anything. App and or machine makes for a good nites sleep

• 2 months later...

I'm back from the cruise. I didn't see all these replies. I heard a noise that I thought might be stabilizers from the hallway once when seas got rough. Otherwise our cabin was noisy with rumbly engine noise and most nights covered up my husband's snoring, so it all worked out. If the noise is constant ( and it was ) it doesn't bother me.

We were so exhausted from activities that I was able to sleep every night. Most nights only 4-5 hours of interrupted sleep. Kids in the hall running and people talking very loudly.

Overall it was a fun cruise, and I will some day book a 4th!