Glacier Bay from the aft

Hi there,

This time next year I will be just a few days back from my 40th birthday cruise. I splurged for a

One of the coveted 10th deck big aft balcony (solo) and I think I would really like to spend a lot of time on it. Has anyone here viewed glacier bay from their aft balconies? Am I losing anything by doing this? Do you have photos to share?

In general, when there are things to see (sail away, coming into/leaving ports) am I missing anything back here?

Would love photos!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The aft is a great location, especially for Alaska. For Glacier Bay, though, you may want to walk around the ship a bit to check out different vantage points. The ship will likely get close to the glaciers and then rotate slowly so that all sides of the ship can check out the sights. We spent part of the day on our balcony and then moved to the upper decks and eventually to the bow of the ship so that we could get some closer photographs.

The aft is a great location, especially for Alaska. For Glacier Bay, though, you may want to walk around the ship a bit to check out different vantage points. The ship will likely get close to the glaciers and then rotate slowly so that all sides of the ship can check out the sights. We spent part of the day on our balcony and then moved to the upper decks and eventually to the bow of the ship so that we could get some closer photographs.

That is what we did also in Glacier Bay.

Just a pet peeve of mine, but "aft" is an adjective or adverb, not a noun, so "the aft" doesn't exist. "The stern" or "the after cabins" would be more correct. Just picking nits.

I'm not sure exactly what response are you expecting to elicit from a comment like this? A thank you? I'm sure I don't need to explain the difference between conversational English and the Chicago Manual of Style's publishing guidelines, but when the day comes that I write a book about me sitting on a balcony on a boat (sorry, SHIP.) with a Bloody Mary, I'll be sure to consult you.

I'm curious if you point things out to people you don't know in real life, when those things have no bearing on the conversation, to feel superior.

The earlier poster may have been a bit "particular", but the point is valid.

On the ship, the cabin locations are often called forward, midships and aft.

Then there a few cabins that actually face aft of the ship that are on the stern. SOME people may be confused with the terminology. Not all for sure.

To add to the confusion, another poster said they go to the bow of the ship to get closer pictures. To be clear, you can not get all the way up to the bow as that is off limits to passengers. Granted the poster was referring to the most forward part. It will be closer for only part of the time as they rotate the ship once or twice so folks sitting in their cabins get a full view so at some point, those on the stern will be closer.

And to quote the earlier poster - "just nit picking".

. ...

... another poster said they go to the bow of the ship to get closer pictures. To be clear, you can not get all the way up to the bow as that is off limits to passengers. Granted the poster was referring to the most forward part. It will be closer for only part of the time as they rotate the ship once or twice so folks sitting in their cabins get a full view so at some point, those on the stern will be closer.

Have you ever been to Glacier Bay? In my experience for Glacier Bay, cruise ships DO open the bow to passengers. It is an exception to the no passengers rule.

Weeta - I will be in cabin 10668 (AFB) on the Pearl in two weeks. We picked an AFB on CC recommendations and we are looking forward ;) to Glacier Bay ... pretty much the reason why we wanted the cabin.

I'll post some pics when we get back ... if I can figure out to do it on CC.

We're in AFT 10166 on the Pearl in August. As for the person correcting our grammar, if NCL tells me I'm in an AFT cabin, it's good enough for me. :D

We plan on spending many hours on our AFT balcony enjoying the cool weather. We're from Central FL and will be glad to get away from the heat.

Don

Weeta I had an aft balcony last year there is a link to my review in my signature. I honestly can't remember if the bow was open, as I didn't try to go up there. I walked around the promenade for awhile then I spent time on my balcony. Once again as the boat turns at the different glaciers everyone gets a view, but it's fun to walk around when you're traveling between glaciers as their maybe some animal sightings.

Weeta - I will be in cabin 10668 (AFB) on the Pearl in two weeks. We picked an AFB on CC recommendations and we are looking forward ;) to Glacier Bay ... pretty much the reason why we wanted the cabin.

I'll post some pics when we get back ... if I can figure out to do it on CC.

Thank you! I'll be in your neighboring cabin... next year :)

The earlier poster may have been a bit "particular", but the point is valid.

On the ship, the cabin locations are often called forward, midships and aft.

Then there a few cabins that actually face aft of the ship that are on the stern. SOME people may be confused with the terminology. Not all for sure.

To add to the confusion, another poster said they go to the bow of the ship to get closer pictures. To be clear, you can not get all the way up to the bow as that is off limits to passengers. Granted the poster was referring to the most forward part. It will be closer for only part of the time as they rotate the ship once or twice so folks sitting in their cabins get a full view so at some point, those on the stern will be closer.

Again, conversational English here- anyone who could answer the question knew exactly what I was referring to- "nit picking" at someone specific when it has no bearing is nothing but being a jerk.

As far as the bow of the ship, I'm pretty sure there is access on glacier bay day.

We're in AFT 10166 on the Pearl in August. As for the person correcting our grammar, if NCL tells me I'm in an AFT cabin, it's good enough for me. :D

We plan on spending many hours on our AFT balcony enjoying the cool weather. We're from Central FL and will be glad to get away from the heat.

Don

No, you are absolutely correct. You are in an "aft" cabin, where "aft" is an adjective describing the cabin. What is wrong is to say "I am walking to the aft".

Have you ever been to Glacier Bay? In my experience for Glacier Bay, cruise ships DO open the bow to passengers. It is an exception to the no passengers rule.

I've been to Glacier Bay twice....once on the Star and once on the Sun. While I may just have missed seeing passengers up there on the Star, on the Sun we were in a forward facing PH....and on our balcony the entire time.....no passengers to be seen.

To add to the confusion, another poster said they go to the bow of the ship to get closer pictures. To be clear, you can not get all the way up to the bow as that is off limits to passengers. Granted the poster was referring to the most forward part.

Actually, on our sailing, they did open the most forward deck (the one that typically has the helipad) to guests while in Glacier Bay. That is as close to the bow as one might be expected to get while on a cruise ship.

Edited: we sailed on RCCL Serenade of the Seas in 2008. This practice may have changed since then or may be different between cruise lines or ships.

Aft-facing cabins are fabulous. You will not "miss anything" from the aft. Glacier Bay is a day-long affair, and is is nice to move about the ship, but the aft views are among the best.

All of these shots were taken from our aft balcony on the Pearl. All in Glacier Bay...

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

No, you are absolutely correct. You are in an "aft" cabin, where "aft" is an adjective describing the cabin. What is wrong is to say "I am walking to the aft".

Agree with you comment totally.

BUT - (damn buts)..... you can say "Walk aft from your cabin". Used when someone is giving directions. LOL!

Agree with you comment totally.

BUT - (damn buts)..... you can say "Walk aft from your cabin". Used when someone is giving directions. LOL!

As I said, "aft" can be an adverb as well, as in this case, modifying the verb "walk". It is still not a noun.

As most professionals, there is terminology in your specialty that folks misuse frequently, and you want to ensure they use it correctly. Sorry if I've offended anyone.