Transfer

cruisefan23

Not sure how you could determine the "best" as very few have used more than one, but a little reading on the board would reveal MANY recommendations. Like others, we have used and highly recommend Rome in Limo, a very professional and well run operation. We have use them 8 times, if that says anything.

We use Tuscany Taste Tours for all our Rome transfers and side trips in the Tuscany region. tuscanytastetour.com. Maurizio has never failed to perform. Above mentioned companies are also good. We had used each previously. All are reliable.

Agree that 'best' is not possible to determine (although if someone would like to pay for me to do the research, I'd be happy to attempt it....).

Just find a company with positive reviews and no significant negative ones and you'll be fine.

If you want a slightly more budget-friendly option than the ones listed, shared vans are available from some companies at a lesser cost -- you may end up sharing with other travelers, e.g., 1 or 2 additional hotel pick-ups in Rome. I've used and can recommend Romashuttle.com for this kind of transfer.

Joe Banana Limos is always reliable and on time. Highly recommended on cruise critic. I can personally recommend as well.

One company to avoid in my experience is Sun Transfers. Left me at airport.

Edited by b_cruise
addition

I'm sitting here waiting for something to come out of the oven and have a few minutes to contemplate Cruisemom's suggestion (happy mother's day, by the way). What do you suppose the variables might be for this research?

For some people, just getting themselves and their stuff safely from point A to point B is sufficient.

For some, not being bothered and asked a thousand questions by the driver.

For others, being engaged by the driver and/or entertained by him/her throughout the ride.

Additional potential variables:

• cleanliness of car
  • waiting for me when I arrived
  • had an easy way to identify me/allow me to identify them
  • drove safely (didn't speed, obeyed traffic rules, etc.)
  • did whatever it took to get me there on time (might include speeding, running through lights, cutting others off, etc.)
  • remembered me from my last trip

There must be at least a dozen other things that are important to people.

There goes the oven timer.

But of course, for many people, the first, second and third criteria is always lowest cost. Forget the rest.

I agree with several others that have suggested banning certain words or phrases on Cruise Critic. "Best", "worth it" are high on the list. Certainly using "best" without definition is high on the list.

Good points.

I primarily want a driver to drive, not to entertain me. I find myself cringing when I read reports of drivers serenading passengers (seems to be popular on the Amalfi drive tours), probably with songs that are not even from the region....

But some seem to lap that up.

But of course, for many people, the first, second and third criteria is always lowest cost. Forget the rest.

I agree with several others that have suggested banning certain words or phrases on Cruise Critic. "Best", "worth it" are high on the list. Certainly using "best" without definition is high on the list.

What is "best" for one maybe is not "best" for another.

In my case 'cost' is also a factor ( if every thing else is the same) - who I book with.

For example I did get quotes from some of the companies mentioned on this thread and others. Some quoted a cost of 420 euros, 400 euros, 360 euros, 300 euros, even 260 euros - to transfer 8 people round trip from FCO to Civitavecchia and back to FCO 8 days later.

I picked a company that does not have any reviews on the CC ( I could not find any) but it got excellent rating on the tripadvisor. 244 people wrote reviews and only 3 were not happy - the price is 300 ...... so for me it is the 'best choice', even if it is not the best company for others.

I have read many reviews on this forum about some of the companies that charge the higher rates but I can not justify in my mind paying the extra money - when I find the same the excellent comments in the 239 reviews ( did not read all of them - but many) on the TripAdvisor.

I do not know what else would I get for the extra money - maybe the 'serenade' - no thanks, I do not want that.

Edited by wieslaw

I just did a transfer with Fabrizio from allarounditaly.net that was excellent because it was different than the rest. It was from the ship to Rome on disembarkation day but it included stops in several towns along the way as well as an amazing lunch with a beautiful view. He then dropped off each couple at their hotel in time for 3pm check in. We were 3 couples and the cost of the tour was the same as the ship transfer and the day was fabulous.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Good points.

I primarily want a driver to drive, not to entertain me. I find myself cringing when I read reports of drivers serenading passengers (seems to be popular on the Amalfi drive tours), probably with songs that are not even from the region....

But some seem to lap that up.

By law in Italy, drivers are not allowed to be guides. Therefore I wouldn't worry about that. Although they are very helpful.