Status of Alitalia Bankruptcy??

Motorcycle Gma

We are going to BCN next month on an award ticket Delta - AZ. I called Delta and asked what our options were if AZ was not flying. Delta was kind enough to exchange our award flights to all Delta. whew!!

Good service from Delta!

• 2 weeks later...

As promised, just back from freedom cruise where I had Alitalia tickets booked from Boston to Rome to Barcelona and same for return. I was very worried since only one Boston to Rome trip a day and only two hour Rome layovers... Would have been huge problem if missed that due to any delays... great news for any upcoming fliers! NO Problems and would never know they were in dire financial trouble. Had never flown before... but still gave away free blankets, pillows and headphones on the long flights, served full meals and staff was great. Seats a little tight and uncomfortable, but what I expected for very reasonably priced low cost economy seats. We did cut up an old memory foam mattress topper into our own seat cushions which was HUGE help. I flattened and put in gallon ziplock bags to travel. I would not buy new tickets myself, but would not worry about any summer flights already booked. Definitely business as usual and we were actually very impressed with our overall experience. I wish everyone an experience like ours!

• 1 month later...

Anyone have anything new on the Alitalia bankruptcy, etc??

I see they filed for Chapter 15 here in US on June 23 and a hearing was set for June 26. They were going to lose their JFK gates and telephone/customer service if Bankruptcy not approved.

I haven't been able to find any results of the JUNE 26 hearing. Anyone heard anything? I'm still holding unrefundable tickets for August 28 and holding my breath!!:o

Well, I just went to the Alitalia website (easy to DIY). It has this under announcements:

"Alitalia reiterates that the current situation doesn't have and will not have any impact on its current or future flight schedule.

All services are operating as normal.

The purchase of new tickets can be done as always through Alitalia.com website, Alitalia’s contact center or travel agencies.

Members of Alitalia's MilleMiglia Loyalty Program can earn and redeem miles as usual."

I was also able to look for and faux book Alitalia flights JFK-FCO-JFK for late August/early September.

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back from our European trip ( 3 weeks). We had (2) flights on Alittalia (Athens-Rome and Rome-Toulouse). Both flights - you would never knew it was in bankruptcy. The people at the check in counter and the flight attendants were super nice. They also provided snacks and drinks on the flights.

We just got back from our European trip ( 3 weeks). We had (2) flights on Alittalia (Athens-Rome and Rome-Toulouse). Both flights - you would never knew it was in bankruptcy. The people at the check in counter and the flight attendants were super nice. They also provided snacks and drinks on the flights.

Thanks for posting your experience. We've always enjoyed their flights. I don't know why they can't make it financially. We still have 44 days to go & hoping they're still flying! We have our insurance & hoping for best. Thx again.

Agreed! We just flew AZ from Toronto to FCO, economy class. Smooth check in, friendly staff, relatively comfortable seats (Airbus 330 2-4-2 configuration). Meal was standard airline fare, served with a glass of wine. Each seat had a package on it with a blanket, headset and a pillow...the kind that wraps around your neck. Would not have guessed they were in bankrupcy if didn't know. Left on time, arrived early.

Agreed! We just flew AZ from Toronto to FCO, economy class. Smooth check in, friendly staff, relatively comfortable seats (Airbus 330 2-4-2 configuration). Meal was standard airline fare, served with a glass of wine. Each seat had a package on it with a blanket, headset and a pillow...the kind that wraps around your neck. Would not have guessed they were in bankrupcy if didn't know. Left on time, arrived early.

We also just flew on AZ from WAW to FCO. ( July 8th)They were on time, nice friendly service. I am sorry to see them in bankrupcy especially when I read in your post about the Airbus 330 2-4-2 configuration. We flew on Air Transat from FCO to YYZ on their Airbus 330 but a different configuration 3-3-3 ....... it was very, very tight ....... seats seemed to be very narrow ( no room for the shoulders) and close to each other,( no room for legs), aisles are so tight that is hard to walk in them .

• 1 month later...

We just flew Prague to Rome on an A320. Excellent service from check in to boarding and inflight service.

We were maybe 5-10 minutes late leaving Prague and arrive about 5 minutes later than schedules in Rome.

It did take a while to Taxi in and then we got on a bus to the terminal and luggage took about 10 minutes. Overall a very good service .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Im just reading all your excellent experiences and I too had an excellent experience BUT THEY ARE IN BANKRUPTCY... looks like by 2018 either they are going to be taken over by another airline (which I'm reading is unlikely) AND the govt is not bailing them out for a second time... It looks scary actually. I have a flight booked with them in JUNE. 2018 (i did not know when i booked). I'm booking a backup flight with Ryanair. IT is not looking good. By the end of Oct, we should know more. IF you booked by Credit Card, you are fine, they will give your money back. Insurance will as well, as long as you bought before the bankruptcy was declared.

The weird thing is today I got an email to join their Club Class which is ridiculous but if I was ignorant I would probably pay to get the miles they are offering. Im not understanding why they can still sell flights into june July 2018... like wth.. I think this is crazy.... Unless there is an airline taking them over but what I've researched seems unlikely... Fingers crossed!!

I read this week that Ryan Air is making a bid to purchase Alitalia. I am flying on them Oct 17 and then again Oct 30 so am a bit concerned. I am ticketed thru Delta but it is Alitalia's flight and plane. Delta will not change my ticket to one of their flights without a change penalty for both tickets ($300) PLUS the extra $758 cost of what that ticket is now. They advised me there would be no change fees or penalties only if Delta was changing my tickets in the event Alitalia pulls the plug on our flights. Hoping for the best.