Medical disembarkation experience in a foreign country

bajakiter

I'm glad to finally see some kudos for the hospital staff in Estonia.

European healthcare rocks and is one of the major reasons I won't be repatriating to the States any time soon. I've always found it to be thorough and efficient, not to mention easy on the wallet.

Your right European healthcare on the whole is very good ... The U.K however not so good :confused: ... Earlier I was actually researching the costs of going elsewhere for my care , maybe I should check out Estonia !

Thank you for relating this very distressing, personal experience. I hope you and your wife can continue to cruise for many years to come and that the next cruise will be stress-free and medically uneventful. I know you are both relieved to be home near her regular doctors.

With my DH having medical issues now, it's reassuring to know how well HA handles emergencies such as yours.

Thank you to the OP for posting his experience with a medical disembarkation. My husband I take longer cruises to some quite distant places and we have often wondered what would happen if we had to leave the ship for a medical emergency. I read the post to my husband and he was as pleased as I was to have this information.

To the OP - What would you advise in terms of cruise insurance? Thanks!

We purchased our travel insurance online. A very basic policy without trip interruption.

We did choose the one with no deductible which is helpful. The travel insurance always seemed to be just one more item on the upcoming cruise "list". One of those expenses that you never see the value of until that moment arrives.

It deserves much more research than we gave it. The agent who insures your home would be a good start. Your travel agent as well, as they probably have had clients who needed to file claims.

Many travel insurance companies won't insure anyone over the age of 65 which limited our choices.

Others won't provide any coverage if you have preexisting medical conditions and those that do usually have very strict limits on coverage.

Thank you again to everyone for all your kind words and thoughts. M is doing well with rest and recovery.

Familiar home surroundings do make a huge difference.

Thanks for taking the time to post the original info, and your updates. Glad your spouse is improving, and may that continue!

If not already done, when time allows, perhaps an email or note to HAL customer relations, praising all those who provided such excellent assistance?

The only vote that really counts as to whether the patient will be medically debarked is the doctor. Yes, of course (s) he CONSULts with patient/family and captain, unless captain has a navigagtional or safety reason to discuss with the doctor, usually they will do what the doctor has recommended.

Your right European healthcare on the whole is very good ... The U.K however not so good :confused: ... Earlier I was actually researching the costs of going elsewhere for my care , maybe I should check out Estonia !

You may not think what you have is good, but when my DH fell seriously ill while we were visiting the UK, the care he got was excellent - from paramedics, the emergency ward, all the tests he had, and his stay on a medical ward. And the food was good! Now here's a bit of a twist - I immediately contacted our insurance company, they approved of all treatment and instructed the hospital fax them the bill. But there was no cost, apparently because he was admitted as an emergency by ambulance. I do think that was overly generous of the NHS. The insurance company paid all our travel expenses back to Canada when DH was released from hospital.