ms Maasdam New York City Sail-Away - May 18, 2017

Boytjie

Oops, I almost forgot about the Maasdam being in my hometown today!

The Maasdam is at the Manhattan piers in New York until 5:00/17:00 PM DST. Also in port - and staying overnight - is the Crystal Symphony.

It is going to be a hot day in New York - forecast says 93°F/34°! :eek:

The webcams are at :

http://www.portnywebcam.com/ - the view of the cruise terminal from across the Hudson River in New Jersey.

http://www.nyharborwebcam.com/ - the view in the harbor once the ship has sailed past Manhattan and is heading out to the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge.

Port of New York camera just moved to the cruise ships.

Once the haze burns off, the view should be sharper/prettier.

It is going to be a hot and humid day today, I doubt it will get prettier.

Most of the northeast has been begging for warmer weather....and they sure got it! My only time in NYC was on the Maasdam which was back in 2006 when she repositioned from the Caribbean to Canada/New England and it was really nice to walk to Times Square and Central Park from the dock.

I got to see a closeup as she transitted between the two large ships. Veendam moving too swiftly for camera to keep up with her [once she disappeared behind Breakaway] to catch her at the other end. Hamilton is great for the guests, but not for webcam watchers. It was more of a view than I usually get. :)

I'm not sure quite what to think. I thought I remembered that this was just a port call for the Maasdam with no new passengers but they just finished a muster. One issue; Maasdam is still attached to a fuel barge. I hope it won't be too long a delay.

Roy

I'm not sure quite what to think. I thought I remembered that this was just a port call for the Maasdam with no new passengers but they just finished a muster. One issue; Maasdam is still attached to a fuel barge. I hope it won't be too long a delay.

Roy

Fort Lauderdale was a port call - though 600 pax departed - according to one guest.

This one is also - You started in San Diego and could get off in FLL, NYC or Boston [final stop] - depending on your itinerary.

This one starts a 9 day From Thu 18 May 2017

(To Sat 27 May 2017)

9 Night Canada & NE Discovery [from NYC]

Ship ms Maasdam

[all from cruise timetables] Boston is listed as 7 or 14 day also - with starting point in Boston. Veendam is also doing turn-around that day.

Edited by Happily@Sea
Amended

On our Maasdam Repo last year from Montreal to Fort Lauderdale we got up early to experience the city all lit up and than experienced it at sail-away. Have done it twice now and get to do it again in October on the Veendam.

A great experience.

VERY nice departure toot. This time it is from the Maasdam.

And more.

And now backing smartly.

I'll sign off for now but will be watching some from our aft deck. Too hot to stay there but it will work for a little while.

Roy