What is it like on the Viking Sky?

bellemere

Stockholm is a great city to explore on foot. You can walk to the old city from where the ship docks. Probably 10-15 minutes. It's fun to wind your way through the narrow streets. If you have mobility issues, there are steps/or hill to climb...and the typical cobblestone walking. The castle, the restaurants, the shopping, the neighborhoods.....

There are cabs right at the dock when you get off. They are not regulated in their fares so if you don't like the price on the first one, start walking and asking the drivers what they will charge. It was an interesting and money saving experience as the price quotes widely fluctuated. We did need a cab to manage our bags to the hotel in Old Town post cruise and those with mobility issues may wish to use their services to get to their starting point.

The Vasa museum is a 'must see' in my opinion - we walked but it is a treck by foot (we stayed over in Stockholm several days post cruise so we were not in a hurry). If you are only there for the day, and interested in this I would suggest going first thing as it gets really busy. I believe I read that there are small boats right at the docks that will take you as well as cans. You do not need an excursion or guide to do this!

Try to see the changing of the guard in Stockholm. when we were there time was 12:15 ...on Sunday 1:15....lots of marching and a small band that is on horses. Old town is a great place to meander, shop a little, eat and people watch. The included Stockholm tour on our cruise was terrible as we did not even get off the bus and the guild had little personality. There was a ship's shuttle for us that dropped/picked up in a very convenient spot! There is a hop on/off boat tour that is good for 24 hours and very convenient one of the stops is very close to where were docked. Fortunately we had 2 full days after the cruise and had a wonderful time!

Good to know--I haven't discovered a "must see" there so will just walk around. What about Stockholm --how did you get around, what did you do? I've been concerned about stop since we don't dock there until 9:00 a.m. ( If to take the included tour or go straight to Vasa, etc.)

We just walked into the old town,is was so quiet first thing in the morning. We also took a 50 minute boat tour around the islands.we are using Alla tours tomorrow and Wednesday.

Thanks for the good information --especially about getting to dinner with time to enjoy the dinner before the show. I assume you just show up for the show and if the theater is full, you miss the show.

In not quite four weeks total on board the Viking Sea, I made it to the show in the theater only once (personal preference and not a commentary on the shows themselves), so, I am not really qualified to answer. DH went to every show, some of which he saw twice, while I enjoyed the peace and quiet to write up the day's journal entry. BTW, the shows are about 45 minutes to an hour.

In not quite four weeks total on board the Viking Sea, I made it to the show in the theater only once (personal preference and not a commentary on the shows themselves), so, I am not really qualified to answer. DH went to every show, some of which he saw twice, while I enjoyed the peace and quiet to write up the day's journal entry. BTW, the shows are about 45 minutes to an hour.

Thanks. Glad the shows aren't very long.

Yes on Homelands we did the included tour today in Helsinki,it is mostly a bus tour with a couple of stops were you get off the bus. We stayed downtown and took the shuttle back to the Sky. When I booked only afternoon tour was available but we went down for the first morning tour and they were able to let us on. We are doing tours with private companies for St. Petersburg and Tallinn. If any other question I will try to answer.

Hi there ! I am on the August cruise of this trip .. and am interested in which private tour you took in St Petersburg and Tallinn, and how you rate them . ??? also how many were in your touring group? Thanks

Hi there ! I am on the August cruise of this trip .. and am interested in which private tour you took in St Petersburg and Tallinn, and how you rate them . ??? also how many were in your touring group? Thanks

We are using Alla in St. Petersburg only day one of 2 so far,but it has been amazing 10 in our van. In Tallinn we are using Estadventures a tour called A view with a brew,we do that Tomorrow will comment on it after.

Ate at Manfredi's last night was amazing a huge ribeye steak.

We used Alla a month ago. Booked a private tour for 6 of us which was not much more $ than their generic tour (maximum 16).It was marvelous!!

And Manfredis....yup that ribeye was the best steak I've ever had.....and I had it many many times during our 3 weeks on the Sky. I am now on beef restriction....