Very First Cruise-Dress Code Help, Please

pugmadkate

Enjoying this thread! (Although it's humbling to suddenly realize I may be one of the people with an unconscious desire to play Titanic.)

We have never considered ourselves to be playing anything but ourselves when we dress in formal clothes for dinner. It has nothing to do with the type of food on our plates or how other folks choose to dress. ;) Do not let other people who do no want to dress more formally ruin your evening.

p.s. I really wish people would stop referring to wearing a tuxedo, or a suit, or a sports coat or cocktail dresses as "dressing up". "Dressing up" is what folks do on Halloween.

In my opinion the Gala night menu is nothing special. It has really deteriorated over the years. It doesn't warrant getting too dressed up.

Formal nighst on hAL ships used to be quite special and, I agree worth dresssing. Justt because my DH wore a tuexedo and I a gown (floor lenth g dress, we did not think of it as playing 'dress up'. We thought of it as looking forward to a special dinner, served on tables eith lovely tablesetting and beautiful service. A few evening s of good manners, and looking like you made an effort to please yourself and your spouse, partner, firiend made for jemorable nights aboard a beautiful ship. For many, being able to cruise is a fantasy , a dream,,,,,,,,,,, what is bad about enjoying if you are among the fortunate who are able to cruise?

Since we aren't retired yet and time off is at a premium, we get to cruise only 1 week a year, at the moment. So the two Gala nights are pretty much the only opportunity we get to dress formal and be with others dressed similarly. It may just be me but a woman in a nice evening dress with some bling and a man in a smart suit just looks so attractive (couples in any match-up). They both seem to have a bit of a "glow" about them, smiling more etc. When people put on more formal attire they seem to bring more formal manners and courtesy with it ;)

dh

p.s. I really wish people would stop referring to wearing a tuxedo, or a suit, or a sports coat or cocktail dresses as "dressing up". "Dressing up" is what folks do on Halloween.
You might want to have a talk with Webster's as well. ;)

Definition of dress up

transitive verb

1:to make more attractive, glamorous, or fancy

• dress up a plain dessert with a rich chocolate sauce

2:

• :to attire in best or formal clothes
  • :to attire in clothes suited to a particular role

3:to present in the most attractive or impressive light

• a fiasco dressed up as a triumph

Definition of dress up

transitive verb

1:to make more attractive, glamorous, or fancy

• dress up a plain dessert with a rich chocolate sauce

2:

• :to attire in best or formal clothes
  • :to attire in clothes suited to a particular role

3:to present in the most attractive or impressive light

• a fiasco dressed up as a triumph

Well my DW and myself will have to let our grandkids know that Nana and Papa will be playing dress-up on our cruise. They'll be thrilled for sure ;)

dh

I agree. Unless you wear these things at dinner at home, then you're literally "dressing up" for dinner aboard the ship.

When people put on more formal attire they seem to bring more formal manners and courtesy with it ;)
It definitely has an impact on many people's demeanor. However, I've seen it bring about less courtesy from some people, as well as more courtesy from others.

I agree. Unless you wear these things at dinner at home, then you're literally "dressing up" for dinner aboard the ship.

Let's just say that, at home or in a restaurant or at an event, I always dress appropriately and I never consider that I am "dressing up". When invited to a "gala" event, I don't have to ask anyone what to wear, I already know.

Let's just say ...
Let's not. Veiled rudeness attempting to make your personal preference sound more important than it is isn't impressive. So let's just say that that you don't like the dictionary definition and let's leave it at that.

This post may have been entered by voice recognition. Please excuse any typographical errors.

Let's not. Veiled rudeness attempting to make your personal preference sound more important than it is isn't impressive. So let's just say that that you don't like the dictionary definition and let's leave it at that.

This post may have been entered by voice recognition. Please excuse any typographical errors.

Thank you so much for understanding.

WOW:eek: I saw no such insinuation in taxman's post. Just because someone's opinion differs from yours?:rolleyes:

On our Alaska cruise in July I took one skirt and one basic black dress. I made them into 7 dinner outfits using different tops and tunics and tights or leggings. Low boots are perfect. During the day I wore jeans or zip off hiking pants and sneakers and low hikers and t-shirts and hoodies. I did take a waterproof rain coat and my low hikers are waterproof as well. It seems to rain a lot there, and it’s really cold near glaciers. Enjoy your cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ehhh??? I must be missing a whole post.:(

WOW:eek: I saw no such insinuation in taxman's post. Just because someone's opinion differs from yours?:rolleyes:
No. Because that comment included veiled rudeness directed at anyone who disagreed with Taxman. Consider the comment from the standpoint of people who disagree with him rather than from your own personal standpoint where you perhaps do agree with him.

I don't have to ask ... I already know.
If you think that was polite then we also have a disagreement about what the dictionary definition of a word means. I may not agree with those who choose not to dress up as much as we do, but addressing those people in the way that Taxman did is rude, not polite. He didn't even direct his dig at their decision but rather at their knowledge. There is a world of difference between challenging a specific act or decision and questioning someone's intelligence, no matter how veiled the insinuation.

This kind of thing goes hand-in-glove with what I wrote earlier in the thread:

... "dressing up" for dinner aboard the ship. It definitely has an impact on many people's demeanor. However, I've seen it bring about less courtesy from some people, as well as more courtesy from others.
There are, as with most things, two extreme perspectives and then a whole bunch of perspectives in between. Defend your preferred extreme, if you wish, but there's no need to take potshots about what people who disagree with you "know". I find that kind of, perhaps even unconsciously, derogatory regard for those who disagree with you far more offensive than the behavior of those who wear tank tops to formal night. Edited by bUU

HE knows what HE will wear. (Caps added for clarity, not emphasis.) I don't see how that sentence could be about his opinion of others. But personally I would just ignore it now if the person who wrote it doesn't elaborate (which naturally may be their choice).

Edited by SetAnOpenCourse
typo

The OP must be thrilled they asked the question!

Let’s play nice, peeps...[emoji56]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully the OP has been able to pick out the information they needed. On all internet forums there are those who just about live on their computer and feel the need to derail any thread, and/or to promote their self-importance.

Hopefully the OP has been able to pick out the information they needed. On all internet forums there are those who just about live on their computer and feel the need to derail any thread, and/or to promote their self-importance.

Hmmmm...promoting self-importance is an interesting observation. [emoji848]. Spot on, Lizzie.

I just noticed the OP started this thread in June so she’s probably cruised already!

On all internet forums there are those who just about live on their computer and feel the need to derail any thread, and/or to promote their self-importance.
Who, exactly, are "those"? It sounds like you're trying hard to hide the fact that you're posting a personal attack. How about you be more upfront, honest and forthright about what you're trying to say, and specifically who you're attacking? (Truly: Don't. Just don't. I see little difference between backhanded, wink-wink, personal attacks and direct personal attacks. There's no call for either.) Interestingly, this kind of cliquish nonsense is precisely what I referred to in another thread this morning.

People disagree. That doesn't mean that there is any derailing going on. They just disagree. Why not accept it and move on?

Edited by bUU

I agree, I hope the OP found the needed info.

As to the rest of your post, I find that ignoring those people who feel the need for self-puffery is best. Lack of attention is like lack of food -- they will starve and move away.

As to the rest of your post, I find that ignoring those people who feel the need for self-puffery is best. Lack of attention is like lack of food -- they will starve and move away.

I like that word, “self -puffery”. Very appropriate. [emoji106]

What a delicious term! And yes to the ignore feature, I may have to add to my list. I just hate to see newbies given misleading information or have their question totally sidetracked.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Forums mobile app

Who, exactly, are "those"? It sounds like you're trying hard to hide the fact that you're posting a personal attack. How about you be more upfront, honest and forthright about what you're trying to say, and specifically who you're attacking? (Truly: Don't. Just don't. I see little difference between backhanded, wink-wink, personal attacks and direct personal attacks. There's no call for either.) Interestingly, this kind of cliquish nonsense is precisely what I referred to in another thread this morning.

People disagree. That doesn't mean that there is any derailing going on. They just disagree. Why not accept it and move on?

Well said, bUU!!! No sense trying to talk sense to those who have none.