Tips for New Viking Ocean Cruisers

roothy123

1 hour ago, Squawkman said:

This is a big issue for us as we both use CPAPs. No issue on any Viking ship, but need an extension cord as power is often available on only one side of the bed.

We’ve been in hotel rooms abroad where there’s literally only one power socket right across the room 

• Like 1

So our cruise is coming up, and we keep getting mail inviting us to do the "comfort checkin" ... which we did after the first such invitation.  Including a comment that says "if you already did this ignore it" is absurd.  Why don't they already know we did it and not bother us?  

27 minutes ago, Frisky070802 said:

So our cruise is coming up, and we keep getting mail inviting us to do the "comfort checkin" ... which we did after the first such invitation.  Including a comment that says "if you already did this ignore it" is absurd.  Why don't they already know we did it and not bother us?  

Frisky, if this is your biggest problem this week, count yourself lucky.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Frisky070802 said:

Good point!  But it’s really not a good look. Then again, Viking IT has fallen over in many respects. 

We got emails suggesting we buy the drinks package and with a winter clothing catalogue to order from. Both quoted in dollars. 

We had allready bought the SSP, and being in the UK we pay in sterling not dollars unless on board. These emails came from Viking UKs email address. One I could understand as a brain fart didn't check the currency but sending several seems odd. 

After laughing we ignored them

On 8/7/2023 at 7:30 PM, Frisky070802 said:

Good point!  But it’s really not a good look. Then again, Viking IT has fallen over in many respects. 

I am often less than impressed by the Viking back office. On 3/31 (day 99 of the recent world cruise) we received an email with hints about packing for our world cruise - along with a link to a 'suggested packing list' that included (among other things) 1 suit and 4 sport coats. I'm sure the list was appropriate at some point in the dim distant past, but it certainly didn't match the packing lists of virtually all of the passengers on the current voyage.

• Haha 2

On 8/2/2023 at 1:38 PM, $hip$hape said:

My issue is, when there is so much good tasting food at breakfast and lunch, by dinner time, I don’t have much of an appetite. 🫢

On holiday we eat breakfast then either lunch or dinner. 
I’ll  have to make an exception on Mars as the food looks fabulous 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mickey111 said:

On holiday we eat breakfast then either lunch or dinner. 
I’ll  have to make an exception on Mars as the food looks fabulous 

The menus are on the info section of the room TV. The breakfast menus don't usually change, so you can eat less at breakfast without missing out, to leave room for later. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, RPapaMarshall said:

I am often less than impressed by the Viking back office. On 3/31 (day 99 of the recent world cruise) we received an email with hints about packing for our world cruise - along with a link to a 'suggested packing list' that included (among other things) 1 suit and 4 sport coats. I'm sure the list was appropriate at some point in the dim distant past, but it certainly didn't match the packing lists of virtually all of the passengers on the current voyage.

Sounds like someone was spoofing Viking.  VO has never in its less than 10 years at sea required a sports coat  for passengers let alone a suit.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Sounds like someone was spoofing Viking.  VO has never in its less than 10 years at sea required a sports coat  for passengers let alone a suit.  

Suggested and required are two different things.

25 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

You know, several years ago, 2018 or 2019, maybe for the WC, we got the same suggested packing list.  I laughed and laughed.  

• Like 1

On World cruises, I've read other posters who have noted that there are optional events on shore at some of the ports that require sports coats.  I think the suggested packing list might have been developed with that in mind, but without clarifying why the jackets were being suggested.

42 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

My husband always brings a jacket.  But three?  AND a suit?  AND  I think they suggested six pairs of Pajamas.  I’ll just let that one go…

Who wears pajamas, nowadays? 🤔

If anyone is seriously  interested in a typical cruise PJ Party, I might suggest you look for a different cruise line or you may be seriously disappointed.  (or perhaps my Viking cruises had some but I was simply not invited!

• Haha 3

45 minutes ago, Mickey111 said:

We are on Viking Mars 12 September from Bergen with pre extension in Oslo.

husband may need to bring electric wheelchair or scooter along.

does anyone have experience of this situation?

There are restrictions about what electric wheelchairs are allowed onboard, you need to check with Viking direct, you will also need to fill in a fitness to travel form. Remember the ship's ramp is actually a staircase, and you need to check if you can get onto the tenders if visiting somewhere they will be used. 

The ship itself is pretty good for a wheelchair user, but ask the restaurant people if you need to get a wheelchair to the table. They will reserve one easy to get to. 

You will need to check any hotels are accessible and have suitable rooms. Don't leave this to Viking. Ask them to book an accessible room if you need one, also an emailed inquiry to the hotel is best, and check Streetview and their websites. 

If you are travelling by the train to Bergen you need to check their access and policies, again, do this direct with the train company. 

Also check the airline policy regarding the batteries. 

For any transport provider get agreement to carry powered wheelchairs and similar in writing in advance. 

I've done the stays and route you describe with a lightweight folding manual chair, it was no problem other than the cobbles in Bergen. 

I'm happy to try to answer any specific queries

Edited by KBs mum
  • Thanks 1

From the Viking website FAQ's:

Guests who have a disability, physical or otherwise, must travel with an able-bodied companion who can assist them as the staff is not permitted to lift guests or push wheelchairs. Guests need to provide their own wheelchairs, except in an emergency. Wheelchairs must not exceed 22" in width. For details regarding bringing a wheelchair on board, guests must complete the Accessibility Form and return to Viking no later than 30 days prior to departure. Motorized scooters are not typically suitable for international cruises and cannot be accommodated. While our ocean vessels have elevators, there may still be thresholds that could make movement difficult.Contact a Viking Expert at 1-855-884-5464 (1-855-8-VIKING) directly with additional questions and to obtain a copy of our Accessibility Form and policy statement.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, KBs mum said:

There are restrictions about what electric wheelchairs are allowed onboard, you need to check with Viking direct, you will also need to fill in a fitness to travel form. Remember the ship's ramp is actually a staircase, and you need to check if you can get onto the tenders if visiting somewhere they will be used. 

The ship itself is pretty good for a wheelchair user, but ask the restaurant people if you need to get a wheelchair to the table. They will reserve one easy to get to. 

You will need to check any hotels are accessible and have suitable rooms. Don't leave this to Viking. Ask them to book an accessible room if you need one, also an emailed inquiry to the hotel is best, and check Streetview and their websites. 

If you are travelling by the train to Bergen you need to check their access and policies, again, do this direct with the train company. 

Also check the airline policy regarding the batteries. 

For any transport provider get agreement to carry powered wheelchairs and similar in writing in advance. 

I've done the stays and route you describe with a lightweight folding manual chair, it was no problem other than the cobbles in Bergen. 

I'm happy to try to answer any specific queries

Thank you so much. Just exploring at present don’t have a chair yet. He had knee replacement which went well now other knee is bad due to be done October 31. He has very bad sciatica which is affecting his walking and balance. He can walk short distances so if we can just get him onto the ship it’s a start not worried about excursions