question about connecting to internet once on board

creel5857

I know there has been much discussion on the different rates for internet services on the various ships. We have (2) $50 credits toward internet on Westerdam trip in December and if they still have the unlimited package by December we will probably purchase that package and hopefully apply these credits.

Once on board do we have to go to front desk to handle finances and get passwords etc or do I just use my devise as I would in hotel room to set up account? And, if I have been using personal devise in cabin throughout trip can I still use that same password /ID info at the internet café the night before disembarkation to print out my airline tickets? Thanks for any tips or comments as we are getting older this technology stuff is moving faster than we can move!

Unless they have changed it since last year, all you have to do is connect to the wi-fi (ICafe-Guest) and then you will get to the registration page. Same pw if you are using the ship's computers.

Unless they have changed it since last year, all you have to do is connect to the wi-fi (ICafe-Guest) and then you will get to the registration page. Same pw if you are using the ship's computers.

nothing has changed except that there is now "Navigator" on most HAL ships. Love it as you can see your onboard account. No more wasted paper ;)

OP, assuming you have that, just click purchase internet and you are off to the races.

It's very easy and will offer you the different packages to choose from (yes, even for Westerdam there are 3 different unlimited packages). on the Westerdam I chose the medium package which sufficed for emails, CC, etc. You just can't stream from it or watch videos.

I always sign up myself. I usually got to the internet café to get a better signal. Although, you can sometimes get a signal in your room. Don't forget to type logout.com in your address bar to sign out. Funny, but when I get up in the middle of the night, I sometimes download email, as no one is using the wifi!!!

I always sign up myself. I usually got to the internet café to get a better signal. Although, you can sometimes get a signal in your room. Don't forget to type logout.com in your address bar to sign out. Funny, but when I get up in the middle of the night, I sometimes download email, as no one is using the wifi!!!
This is a must! I'm normally very careful about this, but I lost some remaining minutes the last day by not logging out properly.

This is a must! I'm normally very careful about this, but I lost some remaining minutes the last day by not logging out properly.

Agree for most ships in the fleet, but if the OP is on Westerdam as they state and IF it still has unlimited internet...while the ship will ask you to log off, there are no minutes to be lost if you fail to do so as it is unlimited ;)

Wish all the ships were unlimited. It sure makes life easy ;)

Is there a printer in the Internet area on the ship? They OP asked about printing boarding passes.

Yes there are printers. I think there were two if I recall correctly.

I forgot to log out one night when on the Zuiderdam last Spring. It was not discovered until the next morning. I went down to the front desk and explained what had happened. They "investigated" and found although I was online, there was no activity during those hours. They were kind enough to give back those minutes. I double check now.

Edited by kftw
spelling

I have not been on a cruise for a long time but we are going through the canal on the Westerdam in November and I am trying to understand this internet thing. We do not have to go the internet café and can use our own I-pad or laptop in our cabin?

I have not been on a cruise for a long time but we are going through the canal on the Westerdam in November and I am trying to understand this internet thing. We do not have to go the internet café and can use our own I-pad or laptop in our cabin?

Yes, you can use your own Ipad or laptop. Reception usually works in cabins depending upon your location. You can basically take your device anywhere - Crow's Nest, Lido Pool, etc.