The dreaded formal night clothing lol

Yes I'm aware of the one million threads on this issue and have spent many an hour being entertained by such but I'm gonna go ahead and ask anyway. [emoji12]

It's been many years since we cruised on RCL (last couple of cruises were Celebrity and NCL).

My husband was hoping to just wear dress pants and a dress shirt, no tie or jacket. Since he would only wear a jacket from the entrance of the dining room to the table it's a waste of good luggage space. Is that going to be OK? I remember the last time we cruised RCL they were pretty strict about jackets if I remember correctly. Or I could be confusing that with an old Seinfeld episode, either way I thought I'd check.

So all that to ask: are men required to wear a jacket to enter the MDR on formal night? Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The men I have cruised with have worn chino's and a shirt. Looks far to hot wearing jacket and a tight bow too! Annoyingly it's so much easier for the men!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Are you sure it's easier for men?

I'm not.

We just got off Oasis today. For formal nights my husband wore a dress shirt and tie, no jacket. He felt dressed appropriately. We saw men dressed in everything from shorts to tuxedos.

So to answer your question- no men are not required to wear a jacket.

Have fun and enjoy your cruise!

The men I have cruised with have worn chino's and a shirt. Looks far to hot wearing jacket and a tight bow too! Annoyingly it's so much easier for the men!!!!

I love dressing up and have had a blast shopping for new dresses and shoes. DH not so much lol, but he does want to be presentable.

We just got off Oasis today. For formal nights my husband wore a dress shirt and tie, no jacket. He felt dressed appropriately. We saw men dressed in everything from shorts to tuxedos.

So to answer your question- no men are not required to wear a jacket.

Have fun and enjoy your cruise!

Thanks!!! Good to know. We leave Wednesday to go on Anthem. So excited!!!

There is no enforcement of dress code...wear what you want...but please..not "shorts" on formal night!

Never! No worries there. I'll be dressed up cause I love it and DH in dress pants and dress shirt.

• 1 month later...

On our X cruise a few years ago they called a few nights elegant chic instead of formal. DH wore dress shirt and nice pants. We're skipping his formal dress on our next cruise, and I'll wear what I usually do... Nice dresses or pants and dressy top. Makes packing easier.

Just want to add a situation we found ourselves in two years ago. We were living in a temporary housing situation while our new home was being built. All of our "dressy clothes" were in storage, as it never occurred to us that we would need them. We decided to book a last minute cruise, and then we realized we had nothing dressy. All we had were casual clothes and bathing suits. What to do for formal night? Very simple. DH wore khakis with a nice collared shirt. It was a little easier for me to pull together a little dressier outfit. He felt a little self-conscious for about a minute and a half, and believe me, we looked fine, and no one gave us a backward glance. So wear what you want, within reason of course, and enjoy your cruise.

Yes I'm aware of the one million threads on this issue and have spent many an hour being entertained by such but I'm gonna go ahead and ask anyway. [emoji12]

It's been many years since we cruised on RCL (last couple of cruises were Celebrity and NCL).

My husband was hoping to just wear dress pants and a dress shirt, no tie or jacket. Since he would only wear a jacket from the entrance of the dining room to the table it's a waste of good luggage space. Is that going to be OK? I remember the last time we cruised RCL they were pretty strict about jackets if I remember correctly. Or I could be confusing that with an old Seinfeld episode, either way I thought I'd check.

So all that to ask: are men required to wear a jacket to enter the MDR on formal night? Thanks!

No, just as many of the recent threads on dress codes have stated