Royal Class Ships: What makes them special for those who have sailed other classes

DRPWDunIL

We've been on the Royal & Regal and can only compare them to Emerald, but here's my 2c:

The positives (probably nothing you haven't seen before in this thread):

1. Outrigger's (aft deck 16) is a fantastic area. DW and I love it.

2. Horizon Court is enormous with lots of variety.

3. The larger atrium is really quite nice!

4. Wheelhouse bar is better set up for people-watching than on the Emerald.

5. The picture area is out-of-the way enough that you're not inconvenienced by it.

The negatives:

1. It's not my private yacht.

We have been on 19 Princess cruises...a majority of which have been on Grand Class ships. But two of our recent cruises were on the new Regal Princess (Royal Class). We found the Regal to be a gorgeous vessel with very small balconies :(. As to crowding, it was an issue in the Lido and the showroom (especially for those who dine early)., Since we practice our own version of crowd avoidance....we had few problems. Our strategy is quite simple. We dine late (usually after 8) and go to the shows intended for late diners. While those that dined early were always complaining about crowds...our experience was fine. As to the Lido, if you just had to go to lunch at noon...yes...it was crowded. But wait until 12:45....and then things were fine.

Over more then forty years of cruising we have always marveled at the number of cruisers who want to be first for everything....and then complain about waiting and crowds. We have seen Princess cruisers who had Fixed early sitting....lining up for dinner 20-30 minutes before their dining room opened. We once asked one of these folks, "why do you wait in line when you already have an assigned table." The answer...."we like to be first so we can choose our seats (we wonder if they had a table for 2). These are the same folks who will wait in a queue (at 11:45) for lunch at the Lido.....rather then eat a little later with no wait. And as you can guess...these are the same folks who will later complain about the lines and having to wait a few minutes to eat. Each to their own. One day (on the Regal) they had the free wine tasting (for Platinum and Elites) in the early afternoon. We decided to go...and found several hundred cruisers waiting in line to get in the MDR (where they had the wine tasting). So we just sat down at the International cafe...and an espresso, and chatted with some friends for about 20 minutes. Once the line was gone, we simply got up, walked into the MDR, and were immediately seated for the wine tasting. Sure enough....folks at our table were already complaining how they had waited for over 30 minutes to get into the tasting. We just smiled and enjoyed.

Our biggest complaint about the Regal was the lack of a center staircase (above deck 7). On our first Regal cruise we had a center ship balcony on a very high deck. We would have been happy to use the stairs....but that meant walking hundreds of feet fore or aft to even access a staircase. So we found ourselves waiting (sometimes 10 minutes) for an elevator to take us up or down only a few decks. Princess is aware of this situation and has corrected the problem on the Royal (and we assume will correct it on the Regal at a future drydock).

Hank

Hank...we do the same types of things to have a more relaxing & enjoyable cruise.

Not many ships can accommodate passengers when the majority of them want to do the same thing at the same time. We adjust our activities to minimize crowds but as you posted many passengers don't adjust to the conditions & then get upset.

Some passengers despite becoming aware of the need to arrive early at the Princess Theater (particularly for early performances) will still arrive late. They arrive at showtime with a look of disgust on their faces because there are not any seats & get upset.

You should have fired up your TV at 3 AM....for their enjoyment of course. :D

I'm sure that my neighbor had no idea of the sound leak. Princess should have been, though, and provided a bit of sound proofing.

On Princess, between my cruise mates and I we have only sailed the Island Princess and the Coral Princess. We are sailing on the Royal Princess this December. Besides overall size, what are the great things you have found about the Royal class ships as compared to other classes like the Island and Coral?

The buffet.

I sailed the Royal once. Didn't really like it. Too big, no full Promenade.

However, everything was new and shiny and lovely to look at. Loved the set up of the buffet which have hand-washing stations right as you walk in. The interactive TVs on the wall were great, as well.

I prefer the Grand Class and the Promenade deck is one of my favorite places. But I would go on a Royal Class ship again if the itinerary was right.

I did forget to post something that really annoyed DW, when on the Regal. Where can one go to have a cocktail...and enjoy a nice Ocean view. On most cruise ships (especially on other lines) there is always at least one bar (often at the bow area of the ship) that offers a beautiful ocean view. This is where DW and I often "live" on sea days...where we can relax with a book, drink, etc...and enjoy the view. But Princess has adopted a design that minimizes sea views from public venues. Very strange.

Hank

I did forget to post something that really annoyed DW, when on the Regal. Where can one go to have a cocktail...and enjoy a nice Ocean view. On most cruise ships (especially on other lines) there is always at least one bar (often at the bow area of the ship) that offers a beautiful ocean view. This is where DW and I often "live" on sea days...where we can relax with a book, drink, etc...and enjoy the view. But Princess has adopted a design that minimizes sea views from public venues. Very strange.

Hank

What about the Sea Walk Bar?

We have seen Princess cruisers who had Fixed early sitting....lining up for dinner 20-30 minutes before their dining room opened.

Not limited to Princess.

Below is a photo from another cruise line showing part of the line to the dining room. This was taken over half an hour before the dining room opened for early seating.

890203%20138%2002.03.16%20Line%20for%205.45%20Your%20Time%20Dining%20DSC01177_zpsm4crzwdf.jpg

I'm sure that my neighbor had no idea of the sound leak. Princess should have been, though, and provided a bit of sound proofing.

They'ed soon realize how loud their TV was playing when they heard mine. Of course you could always have asked them in the morning to turn it down a little. ;)

Not limited to Princess.

Below is a photo from another cruise line showing part of the line to the dining room. This was taken over half an hour before the dining room opened for early seating.

890203%20138%2002.03.16%20Line%20for%205.45%20Your%20Time%20Dining%20DSC01177_zpsm4crzwdf.jpg

15 to 20 minutes is quite normal for any Princess ship but an hour is ridiculous. We eat early and often line up to get a 2 top table but I think I would go to the buffet to avoid that wait.