My View: First Semi-Live From Oasis - The Cruise that almost didn't happen!

Pools:

a31257a9a2701e1ef35c4b6d1a2351e9.jpg

47149e945cc55a3423a871b8f1434bd8.jpg

33233f39d91b1ef763ae8332feac8303.jpg

Our "mandatory" ride on the carousel. DH had a "convenient" excuse to sit this one out too.

c576f45dfb9e9f6314d437930c9e9055.jpg

Tried to get the Coastal Kitchen menu, but the doors were already shut, and there is no menu outside. I think this is a good excuse to book a suite, don't you think? :D (Maybe when my ship comes in)

5906345f35591a5731e5a22b957f4378.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

IrishLassie. I'm doing my first solo cabin cruise soon. Looking forward to the double points. And the peace and solitude [emoji16]. Not sure I can bring myself to pay for a suite yet. The perks of the lounge sound great. But I'm really fine with an ocean balcony room.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Be sure to check that they credit you for double points when you get back... They forgot to do that for me, and one quick call to C&A fixed the problem. What surprised me, is that I made emerald after that cruise, and they bumped DS and DH to emerald also. I found out that they keep the same household on the same C&A level.

One last thing for the spreadsheet geeks... The price of our cruise.

The red arrow points to the price we paid (3 in a Boardwalk balcony). Consecutive rows show the price at later dates. The last column shows how much of an increase the new price is. I check just about every day. I noticed with Royal that it pays to book early most of the time. We got one nice last minute deal on Allure last May, but most of the time early booking prices are the best:

93dc8ec7de6ca9a38084d22f381c793b.jpg

Omg... great to see someone else who has a spreadsheet keeping track. I did the exact same for our Allure cruise and documented the cost every Wednesday. Like you, the price only went up.

For Symphony we booked 2 years in advance. I check prices daily but may wait another year before documenting weekly. 😉

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk

We got the 2nd snack plate as well and my guess was also Diamond but can't say for sure.

As far as family members earning C&A status, I learned that when I married into it. I went on my honeymoon cruise having never been on any cruise before and stepped off an Emerald member. :)

Omg... great to see someone else who has a spreadsheet keeping track. I did the exact same for our Allure cruise and documented the cost every Wednesday. Like you, the price only went up.

For Symphony we booked 2 years in advance. I check prices daily but may wait another year before documenting weekly. 😉

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk

LOL, I have 13 more spreadsheets like that :D

We got the 2nd snack plate as well and my guess was also Diamond but can't say for sure.

As far as family members earning C&A status, I learned that when I married into it. I went on my honeymoon cruise having never been on any cruise before and stepped off an Emerald member. :)

Great deal!!! From a Jack to a King...ahem Emerald :D

Great deal!!! From a Jack to a King...ahem Emerald :D

On our first family cruise that included my BIL (DW and I got married 5 years before her sister) we joked that his status was "rust" b/c he didn't have one yet having never sailed RC before.

I will post some of the Adventure Ocean & Teen info later. :)

Off to our free Johnny Rockets lunch (Boardwalk balcony perk).

Until later!

Hi! I think its a lunch for 4. If you are 2 persons, can you go 2 times? Sorry for my English, I'm a french canadian :)

Hi, Fellow CC addicts! We are on Oasis right now - a cruise that we enjoy with a new sense of appreciation.

The reason: DH had emergency surgery (burst appendix) 2 weeks ago, and until last Wednesday we thought this cruise was a "no go". We looked into options to rebook later this summer, and though Royal could not make any promises, they were willing to look at our case.

Thankfully, it did not come to that! After 9 days in the hospital, DH was cleared to cruise!

So, here we are!

I will post more pictures and details when we get back home, but I thought I would take a stab at my first "semi-live" review.

I will try to answer questions to the best of my ability, but invite others to participate in giving answers when I stay on vacation mode too long :D

I will follow up after the soon-to-start ice show with details of our boarding experience, as well as our first sea day.

Hope you will enjoy our voyage with us and learn from our experience.

Until later, here we are.... APDMOM and our Family of the Seas:

8793d4d9081fdb34ce3c13d3a2436e90.jpg

Hi. Hoping you can help me. I am trying to read your review of the Oasis, but I am confused as to how to follow it. Do I have to just keep searching through the board to find your entries or is there a way to see everything you wrote in one place? I checked out cruise reviews, but I did not see it there. I hope you can clarify. I have enjoyed reading the first couple of posts thatI read at the beginning of your post, but then I got very confused how to follow without searching all of the posts on the board.

Thank you so much.

Hi. Hoping you can help me. I am trying to read your review of the Oasis, but I am confused as to how to follow it. Do I have to just keep searching through the board to find your entries or is there a way to see everything you wrote in one place? I checked out cruise reviews, but I did not see it there. I hope you can clarify. I have enjoyed reading the first couple of posts thatI read at the beginning of your post, but then I got very confused how to follow without searching all of the posts on the board.

Thank you so much.

Hi, NRichard10!

You can do a quick search on the Royal Caribbean Forum by just clicking on the ship the post is related to. Look for the column on the right and click on Oasis:

ac396d670788290f1a40d138e988e888.jpg

The review is currently still on the first page of results:

1c9e78c00cb8247c00f36b3caf925c2d.jpg

Once you open the review, you can follow it by subscribing to it. Click on "Thread tools" and then select "subscribe" (It says "unsubscribe" on this screen shot, because I am already subscribed to it).

d14289d2fb56f91a001f83ae83e92355.jpg

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have additional questions :)

To me, the best way to follow a thread is to use the app on a tablet, as it automatically track any threads you participated in, so they are easier to find.

Oh, I should also mention... once you are subscribed, you can set it up to receive e-mails. To me, the easiest way to get to my subscribed threads in a web browser is to click on the triangle by my user name, then click on "subscribed threads:

3ab26344038779f549fca1ba38a3901d.jpg

Hi ADPMOM,

Thank you for the very informative review and great pictures!! I am starting to plan a family cruise for my 4 children and their spouses/fiances. My oldest DS and DIL have been on all the Freedom class ships the past 3 or 4 years for heavy metal themed cruises so they want to try another class. We are all interested in trying a Big ship. Your review has convinced me there will be plenty to do and see, even if some of the group doesn't want to spend extra money for excursions. I'm looking at Dec 2018 or into 2019 (2 are attending different universities and of course the academic schedules are different).

The great views from your balcony will help with ideas for rooms.

I'm glad you and your family had a wonderful time and that your husband on the mend. Thank you again for a wonderful review.

A few more food pics - not sure what day they were from, but I think I forgot to post them earlier.

Austrian Strietzel (available at least in diamond lounge, Promenade Café and Windjammer)

e6ef479266c6edad67d24e4e8e3b93d2.jpg

Evening pre-dinner snacks in the diamond lounge:

29b805082b4feb7f120be81513195a46.jpg

Fish cake from main dining room (a new item on the menu):

f46fd408937dbefe9760dfe51e9a21ca.jpg

Short ribs:

aea8cd4652acfa8d6075135f12cf97b4.jpg

I don't know why we received this, but somebody delivered these sweets to our room on Cozumel day. I am not sure it is a diamond perk, as we had already received our orange juice, water, and cookies on boarding day... Does anyone know if this is a diamond perk?

1ca3e929685e8ea669cc910d859e8d06.jpg

It is a diamond perks and I always gotten them except this cruise. I was going to ask you if you gotten it.

Hi ADPMOM,

Thank you for the very informative review and great pictures!! I am starting to plan a family cruise for my 4 children and their spouses/fiances. My oldest DS and DIL have been on all the Freedom class ships the past 3 or 4 years for heavy metal themed cruises so they want to try another class. We are all interested in trying a Big ship. Your review has convinced me there will be plenty to do and see, even if some of the group doesn't want to spend extra money for excursions. I'm looking at Dec 2018 or into 2019 (2 are attending different universities and of course the academic schedules are different).

The great views from your balcony will help with ideas for rooms.

I'm glad you and your family had a wonderful time and that your husband on the mend. Thank you again for a wonderful review.

You are welcome! I hope they enjoy the ship as much as we did. Even after this low key cruise, Oasis is still at the top on our "favorites" list... However, we do love the corner afts on Freedom and Voyager class, and miss these on Oasis! We will see if we change our view after Navigator in November, as that will be our first diamond cruise on that ship/voyager class.

Enjoy planning! :)

Quick note about Voom Surf:

We were able to Skype (twice) with very clear video and audio with my parents in Namibia. We only had surf (not surf and stream).

Good to hear. I know I mentioned it somewhere already but my wife's parents were able to Facetime us during the week before on Surf as well. The video froze a couple times but it definitely worked well enough to not need Stream. We're likely using a similar method to yours to get Surf for almost the whole cruise with our Diamond perks next month.

Here is an example of the additional information that comes with the Cruise Compass. I only took pictures of this one, but have about 4 more days of them (missing days 2 & 3).

If anyone is interested seeing the rest that I have, I will gladly take pictures and post them too. Just ask here. :)

86c674444dd5f4706dcb97faec691b83.jpg

6feacc275400f5c39014feb30b427fa5.jpg

e237215b44f31b6927cc2d6107e80c34.jpg

271a0f3940850fbf5a79007d45b903c3.jpg

Good to hear. I know I mentioned it somewhere already but my wife's parents were able to Facetime us during the week before on Surf as well. The video froze a couple times but it definitely worked well enough to not need Stream. We're likely using a similar method to yours to get Surf for almost the whole cruise with our Diamond perks next month.

Yes, I saw you mentioned in your review about Facetime. I have never used it - just Skype. We also got two very clear wifi voice calls on WhatsApp from my dad. In fact, the WhatsApp calls are more clear than a normal USA call on my iPhone. I really like it!!