Disappointed--we aren't eligible the $149 Premium Economy Upgrade

hiccups

We found a cruise for September 2018 with an itinerary that hit a lot of ports we wanted to see, and it fell under the "$149 Premium Economy" promotion. We're not located in a gateway city, so the usual process is a $199 fee PP for the additional air to get to a gateway. Our TA assumed we could pay the $199, then the $149 for the premium economy. I happened to get an (unsolicited) call from Oceania, I assume because I had saved the cruise in my profile--VERY annoying, as that's not why I have my phone number in my profile. Anyway, that agent told us we were not eligible for the premium economy promotion because we weren't flying from a gateway city. I understand the T&Cs of the offer, but really wish, since we'd be paying to get to a gateway, Oceania would allow us to take advantage of the offer. The time/money involved in getting to a gateway puts that option off the table, and the air credit wouldn't come close to covering even economy tickets.

So even though I'm annoyed that Oceania used my phone number, it's good we found out before we booked that we couldn't use the promotion--that was one of the main reasons we selected this cruise. Maybe at some point O will offer another promotion that we can use, and we can book then. For now, though, we'll be exploring other cruise options.

We found a cruise for September 2018 with an itinerary that hit a lot of ports we wanted to see, and it fell under the "$149 Premium Economy" promotion. We're not located in a gateway city, so the usual process is a $199 fee PP for the additional air to get to a gateway. Our TA assumed we could pay the $199, then the $149 for the premium economy. I happened to get an (unsolicited) call from Oceania, I assume because I had saved the cruise in my profile--VERY annoying, as that's not why I have my phone number in my profile. Anyway, that agent told us we were not eligible for the premium economy promotion because we weren't flying from a gateway city. I understand the T&Cs of the offer, but really wish, since we'd be paying to get to a gateway, Oceania would allow us to take advantage of the offer. The time/money involved in getting to a gateway puts that option off the table, and the air credit wouldn't come close to covering even economy tickets.

So even though I'm annoyed that Oceania used my phone number, it's good we found out before we booked that we couldn't use the promotion--that was one of the main reasons we selected this cruise. Maybe at some point O will offer another promotion that we can use, and we can book then. For now, though, we'll be exploring other cruise options.

You may want to call back and ask for a phone center supervisor for verification or the correct information. Sadly, I have experienced more than a few phone sessions with reps who are full of misinformation (e.g., only your TA can book culinary classes; how many specialty restaurant pre-cruise reservations one gets on an "extended journey" booking, et al.).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You may want to call back and ask for a phone center supervisor for verification or the correct infornation. Sadly, I have experienced more than a few phone sessions with reps who are full of misinformation (e.g., only your TA can book culinary classes; how many specialty restaurant pre-cruise reservations one gets on an "extended journey" booking, et al.).

I had our TA call, and she was told the same thing. But I don't know if she spoke to a supervisor, so it might be worth a phone call. Thanks!

Edited by hiccups

What is the cost to get to a gateway near you ?

If less than what O charges just book the flights with O from the Gateway city

We can't fly anywhere for $199, which is why O has worked well for us--their included flights are a much better deal than we can get on our own.

We could drive, but then would have the transportation cost and a hotel, so that would make it more expensive than paying the secondary gateway fee.

I had our TA call, and she was told the same thing. But I don't know if she spoke to a supervisor, so it might be worth a phone call, thanks!

I also once got incorrect info from the onboard O Club rep regarding a retroactive book onboard discount. I followed up on the issue when I returned home by contacting the manager of that area and the problem was fixed that same day.

My TA has also been able to quickly rectify some conflicting info by contacting the regional sales manager.

Important to remember is that misinformed phone reps (and even some of their supervisors) plague the customer service industry. I've gotten to a place where, when I quickly ascertain that a phone call to providers like Comcast or AT&T et al. Is getting nowhere, I end that call and call back hoping to get another person and/or to nicely demand a supervisor. In quite a few of these situations, what has always helped that happen is to remind them of the length/extent of any brand loyalty you may have in that situation.

Don't understand the comments here. We fly out of BNA, so if we use O Air it costs us an additional $99 per leg or $198 extra. From BNA, to get anywhere, we then fly into a major hub, ORD, NYC, PHL, DFW, MIA, etc, all of which are gateway cities. The O PE offers are only good for the across the pond flights. So we then pay the O special up charge and get upgraded to PE for the across the pond flights. Are you saying that policy has changed, or are you being routed through some wired airport, for the int'l connection, that isn't one of the gateways? I would call O Air directly, or have your TA do it. I think you've gotten bad information.

Don't understand the comments here. We fly out of BNA, so if we use O Air it costs us an additional $99 per leg or $198 extra. From BNA, to get anywhere, we then fly into a major hub, ORD, NYC, PHL, DFW, MIA, etc, all of which are gateway cities. The O PE offers are only good for the across the pond flights. So we then pay the O special up charge and get upgraded to PE for the across the pond flights. Are you saying that policy has changed, or are you being routed through some wired airport, for the int'l connection, that isn't one of the gateways? I would call O Air directly, or have your TA do it. I think you've gotten bad information.

That's exactly how I thought it would work--we'd pay the upcharge to be flown to a gateway, and then the flight from the gateway would be eligible for the PE upgrade. Because the cruise isn't until September 2018, there's no way of knowing where they'd fly us to for the international connection, but I find it hard to believe it wouldn't be to one of the gateways.

I'll be researching this more with O and hope that what both my TA and I were told is incorrect.

I'll be on a cruise in September 2017 and are close to a gateway (LAX) and opted for the Premium Economy upgrade. BUT, when the flights were assigned, they were going to charge a $175 deviation fee, per person, because we are arriving in the 1st port city a couple of days early and did not want book their hotel. Plus, they assigned us to Air France one way and were going to charge $249 extra p/p for that flight. The return flight was on another airline without an extra fee. We went back and forth a couple of times, the flights were getting worse (2 stops), very early departure back home which would involve getting to the airport very close to disembarkation. So, we just opted for a credit for not using the 'free' economy flights and booked our own flights -- better schedule, no uncharges, etc. Costs a little more but I did not like the 'nickel and diming' aspect. If you like the itinerary and the cruise line, you may want to arrange your own airfare.

I'll be on a cruise in September 2017 and are close to a gateway (LAX) and opted for the Premium Economy upgrade. BUT, when the flights were assigned, they were going to charge a $175 deviation fee, per person, because we are arriving in the 1st port city a couple of days early and did not want book their hotel.

That is the way the deviation works

If you want to arrive earlier than the departure day of the cruise you pay the fee to choose the day & flights also if you want to stay after the cruise in the final port of your cruise

So what airlines are these $149 premium economy seats on? If you pick that are you more likely to end up with a connection?

The airline is up to Oceania (whichever airline they get their deal from that works best for getting you there, as I understand it), unless you pay the deviation fee, and then you have a say.

1. The Premium Economy upgrade is only applicable for the transatlantic leg of the trip. If other legs are required, you will be booked economy for those legs.

2. No US carrier currently offers Premium Economy seating. Therefore, if you accept the offer you will be flying a foreign flagged carrier.

3. Oceania has it posted that they have contracts for PE service with Air Canada, Lufthansa, British Airlines, and Air France. There may be others, but if you accept the upgrades you will be flying one of those airlines for the transatlantic leg.

4. Be aware, that O quite often books and tickets the US domestic leg and the Int'l leg on separate tickets with the respective airlines. So if you flew to Atlanta on Delta, and AF to CDG then to Barcelona, you will have a Delta ticket and an Air France ticket. You will have to show Delta your AF ticket to get them to check your bags all the way through, because they will have no record of those tickets.

5. Those airlines, for which Oceania does not provide Premium Economy seating on every airplane flown between Europe and the US. So, with the PE upgrade selection, you will be limited to only those flights where PE is offered. Plus, true PE seating is very popular and can sell out quickly. Waiting until 45 days to get the flight booked and ticketed will/may further reduce the number of flights available for O to choose from. The brings up the possibility that your routings and connections may (or may not be) a bit more adventuresome than necessary.

Paying that deviation fee at 270 days and getting your flights booked and ticketed can often look like a small fee. Luck of the draw. Good Luck!

The moral of the story is if you want any flexibility with your flights, do it yourself. Unless you live near a MAJOR gateway airport, it's not going to work. We book our own flights and always upgrade to PE or Business Class before we fly. You can't take the money with you when you die, and We hope that our last check pays for the funeral.

1. The Premium Economy upgrade is only applicable for the transatlantic leg of the trip. If other legs are required, you will be booked economy for those legs.

2. No US carrier currently offers Premium Economy seating. Therefore, if you accept the offer you will be flying a foreign flagged carrier.

3. Oceania has it posted that they have contracts for PE service with Air Canada, Lufthansa, British Airlines, and Air France. There may be others, but if you accept the upgrades you will be flying one of those airlines for the transatlantic leg.

4. Be aware, that O quite often books and tickets the US domestic leg and the Int'l leg on separate tickets with the respective airlines. So if you flew to Atlanta on Delta, and AF to CDG then to Barcelona, you will have a Delta ticket and an Air France ticket. You will have to show Delta your AF ticket to get them to check your bags all the way through, because they will have no record of those tickets.

5. Those airlines, for which Oceania does not provide Premium Economy seating on every airplane flown between Europe and the US. So, with the PE upgrade selection, you will be limited to only those flights where PE is offered. Plus, true PE seating is very popular and can sell out quickly. Waiting until 45 days to get the flight booked and ticketed will/may further reduce the number of flights available for O to choose from. The brings up the possibility that your routings and connections may (or may not be) a bit more adventuresome than necessary.

Paying that deviation fee at 270 days and getting your flights booked and ticketed can often look like a small fee. Luck of the draw. Good Luck!

Sure we're talking about the same thing? United has had economy plus seating for a long time

Poppy;

You obviously don't know what true Premium Economy is from your statement. True PE is not a seat with extra legroom and is NOT Economy Plus seating on UA!

No US flagged carrier is currently offering true Premium Economy service on its flights.

Poppy;

You obviously don't know what true Premium Economy is from your statement. True PE is not a seat with extra legroom and is NOT Economy Plus seating on UA!

No US flagged carrier is currently offering true Premium Economy service on its flights.

What is the difference between US carrier premium economy versus "true" premium economy? I see the extra legroom in "not true premium economy on US flagged carriers" as a huge plus. Perhaps I should ask for a refund because I didn't get "true" premium economy?

Edited by Rob the Cruiser

Rob;

My recommendation is to go google Premium Economy seating on something like Air Canada Boeing 787 and then go to seat guru dot com and look at the plane and the seats.

True PE, on Int'l flights have seats which are equivalent to 1st Class seats on US domestic carriers domestic flights. Plus , they are in a separate compartment and have their own food and beverage service which is far superior to regular Economy. That part of the service is close to BC. The differences are huge between US flag carrier's Economy Plus , Comfort Plus, etc. and true PE for which the $149 upgrade pays for!

Rob;

My recommendation is to go google Premium Economy seating on something like Air Canada Boeing 787 and then go to seat guru dot com and look at the plane and the seats.

True PE, on Int'l flights have seats which are equivalent to 1st Class seats on US domestic carriers domestic flights. Plus , they are in a separate compartment and have their own food and beverage service which is far superior to regular Economy. That part of the service is close to BC. The differences are huge between US flag carrier's Economy Plus , Comfort Plus, etc. and true PE for which the $149 upgrade pays for!

OK. Let's call it marketing fluff and depart on friendly terms. US carriers could call that extra 4 inches of leg room on domestic flights whatever they want. I am willing to pay for it. :D

The discussion is about Premium Economy seating on International trans Atlantic flights. That is what Oceania charges a $149 per leg upgrade for. It has nothing to do with domestic flights on domestic carriers.

Otherwise, settling for a little extra legroom, in lieu of true PE on an international flight for which they have paid, is equivalent to accepting a B4 veranda when they paid for a PH. Or is that "marketing fluff "to you?

American is in the process of launching their product.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/experience/seats/premium-economy.jsp

Delta is supposed to start rolling out their product this fall.

https://airwaysmag.com/industry/delta-launch-international-premium-economy/

Edited by buggins0402

Thank you for taking the time to explain this. PE sounds great for some. We will stick with Economy for now to have more options. You are very helpful! Thanks.

AA has been talking about rolling out this service, in limited markets, for several years. Glad they are finally doing it. The question now becomes, with perhaps the 2018 cruises, will Oceania contract with AA for any of those true PE seats?

Let me add a twist. Those PE seats to Europe, on AA, are to CDG and Madrid. How many ships are you catching out of Paris? For Europe, the "oneworld " system revolves around London and BA. So if you glee to Paris, you'd have to fly back to London to get elsewhere., or collect your baggage and recheck in again for an inter Europe flight on another airline.Iberia Airlines is a oneworld carrier so the possibility of a more seamless flight does exist through Madrid. However, the number of available flights drops.

Edited by pinotlover

Does Oceania give you 2 locator numbers when flying on your suggested route?

Delta & AF are code share partners so your bags should be through checked if you are on 1 PNR