Anthem Quick Review: June 3rd - - Five-nighter to Bermuda

The three of us arrived at the port around 10:45 and there were a lot of people checking in. We ended up behind a family who had not done the online check-in and were taking a very long time,but other lines opened up as more check-in agents arrived with their device, and we moved to a different person. If you have done everything online, including photo and credit card info, the check-in is very fast. Note that security took the 3rd bottle of wine from us; I think if 3 adults are in a cabin or suite all 3 should be able to bring a bottle of wine. RC, please re-think this policy.

We had a family junior suite (soon to be called J3 I think) on deck 10. We loved having two bathrooms. Plenty of closet and drawer space. Even for a 10 nighter I think we would have had plenty of room. Loved the cabin and balcony. If 3 cruise again we definitely will price this category of cabin. We did not notice anywhere in the cabin where suite amenities were listed. Also, we feel the $7.95 room service charge should be waived for all suites.

Had a smoker next door to us light up the first day and politely told him smoking is prohibited. He seemed surprised and did not light up again.

Food. We ate in Chops, Chic, Windjammer, Solarium Bistro, and once in Coastal Kitchen. All were very good. I was surprised how good some of the desserts were too. Loved the cupcakes. We were asked while onboard about marking service a “10” when we got the survey at the end of the cruise. Received the survey the day after we got back(June 8) and I thought it was interesting that the survey asks if we were asked this question and by whom!

Note there is no included-in-fare lobster nights on the 5 nighters. There is a formal night. Some dress up; some don’t.

I did find the total cost of a can of Coke at $4.13 ridiculously high. Next time I will bring some onboard instead.

Service. Our servers were all good as was our room steward. As on all cruiselines, there are happy and friendly employees, and those who aren't.

Love this ship. So much to do. They need to rename some of the games called “trivia” to “name that tune.” It’s not trivia. Disappointed the 80s trivia (name that tune) was port day at noon. Bet not many people showed as it was our lastday in Bermuda.

On and off the ship is remarkably quick and easy considering the number of passengers.

Note they run internet specials throughout the cruise. I think the last day it was $18.95 or so for the day. Not bad considering their regular one day price is $27. We didn’t use it though—just the app for the cruise that was included in the cruise fare. I like the app—shows your schedule, options, cruise Compass, and your account balance.

Seas were mostly calm. Last sea day early on was a little rocky, which you felt the most in the solarium area as the bow will feel the most motion.

Top Tier party was very nice. CD Dru mentioned that Adventure of the Seas is coming to Cape Liberty. As long as they don’t take Anthem away!

At peak times, additional bartenders are needed. E.g. 2 for 1 margarita or cosmo time in the Bolero bar. One bartender was not sufficient. Also at the Mongolian Grill dinnertime in the buffet—sometimes it took way too long and help was needed. Should be monitored closer to call in reinforcements when needed.

I have seen all 3 of the shows before but we did get to Spectra again. Love & Marriage was entertaining but is not for kids. I noticed even though Dru clearly stated it PG13, youngsters were still there. I would not want to be the parent explaining to my daughter why the first thing the man touches in the morning is. . .

Friends played Bingo a few times. Very small payout considering the number of people participating.

One of us had the drink package. Bartenders seemed to want to upsell her at every opportunity. She also noticed they seemed less interested in serving her once they saw she had the drink package.

We were unsure what Bermuda would hold with America’s Cup sailing regatta being there, but it was very cool to see the sailboats. We did not have pre-set plans and took the $7 transport to Horseshoe beach. I hadn’t been there in years. Was as beautiful as I remember it. $45 for 2 chairs and an umbrella and we set it up down the beach a way. There are showers and changing rooms here too. We also went to Calico Jack’s at the Dockyards and jumped off the plank. Got good pics of Anthem from there too. Also went to the Anchor restaurant which is just beyond the clock tower (on the right heading away from the Dockyards) and had delicious cocktails there and used their wifi too. Liked this place.

All in all, a fabulous cruise on a beautiful ship. This was my third time on Anthem and I will be going back again. In our party was a first-ever cruiser and she thoroughly enjoyed every minute.

Thanks for the review.

Another review mentioned the shows are limited on the 5 night cruise. Do you find this to be the case?

They performed the Gift, We Will Rock You, and Spectra's Cabaret multiple times.

Thanks for the review.

Another review mentioned the shows are limited on the 5 night cruise. Do you find this to be the case?

The big shows are on the 5 night cruise - The Gift- Spectra's-We Will Rock You and the traditional shows/games Love and Marriage - Quest - Groovy Town (70's dance party) but there are a lot of other shows that there just isn't time for. Anthem Rocks - Name That Tune - Dancing with the Stripes - Tribute Band - Battle of the Sexes - Rock a Rookie - Captains Corner - More Late Night Comedy. - More Headliners - Red Disco Party. There is a lot more time on a 10 or 12 night for all the extra shows than on a 5 night.

The big shows are on the 5 night cruise - The Gift- Spectra's-We Will Rock You and the traditional shows/games Love and Marriage - Quest - Groovy Town (70's dance party) but there are a lot of other shows that there just isn't time for. Anthem Rocks - Name That Tune - Dancing with the Stripes - Tribute Band - Battle of the Sexes - Rock a Rookie - Captains Corner - More Late Night Comedy. - More Headliners - Red Disco Party. There is a lot more time on a 10 or 12 night for all the extra shows than on a 5 night.

what's the red disco party? I don't remember that from our 10 nighter. What's Rock a Rookie?

One thing I forgot to mention: There were cruisers from various states--not just the tri-state area.

There were also cruisers from other countries, but why is this worth mentioning. All cruises have people from all over.

what's the red disco party? I don't remember that from our 10 nighter. What's Rock a Rookie?

Red is a disco party held in 270 late at night, with a DJ and performers from Spectra. Rock a Roookie is where you get to sing with the band in Music Hall.

There were also cruisers from other countries, but why is this worth mentioning. All cruises have people from all over.

It seems that people often mention cruises that leave from NY or NJ being largely tri-state area cruisers. "Rude" is usually mentioned in there too, but rude cruisers can come from anywhere. We encountered some on this cruise as well, but they won't ruin my cruise.

Red is a disco party held in 270 late at night, with a DJ and performers from Spectra. . ..

Excellent; will watch for this on the next one.