RCCI Called demanding additional deposit 35 days after initial booking?

Booked an OS on Serenade for 2018 while on our last Cruise 1st of May on LOTS. Paid the deposit and and received all paperwork while on the cruise. Our agent today got a call from RCCI demanding an additional $700 for deposit immediately. Now this is around 35 days since we made the booking. Only answer we have gotten is that the next cruise agent was mistaken or booked it wrong and we owe it. If we refuse to pay we also lose our deposit of $250. Anyone else run into this problem?

I'd think scam of some sort unless I could verify they were with RC. Maybe call RC customer service and ask about my booking (look up the number, don't call back a number the caller gives).

Booked a spacious interior for the family (don't know if the standard stateroom deposit is different than the suites) for next May on the oasis and the deposit was "only" $1500, $250 per person.

Welcome to Cruise Critic. I feel your pain. If your TA won't fight for you, you need a new one. Call resolutions. Someone should jump in with the number.

Are the people at the "next cruise" desk independent travel agents? I assumed they were actual RC employees.

Our TA spoke with someone at RCCI - escalated and was told we have 48 Hours to pay up. We booked 3 next cruises and so far the next cruise agent botched 2 of them. 3rd I am going to cancel.

Are the people at the "next cruise" desk independent travel agents? I assumed they were actual RC employees.

OP said his Agent got a call from Royal. That means OP transferred the bookings to his/her personal TA.:D Many of us do that for extra OBC.

Booked a spacious interior for the family (don't know if the standard stateroom deposit is different than the suites) for next May on the oasis and the deposit was "only" $1500, $250 per person.

Johnny, that is expensive. I booked one for September, Family Oceanview on Oasis of the Seas, and we only paid $125 per person, plus with the kids sail free, the kids were even less, like $89 because we were only paying the taxes and port fees. You can find certain Travel Agencies that have agreements with Royal to only pay half deposits, all the time. Sorry you had to shell out so much!

Edited by GlobetrotterTravel
Addition

OP said his Agent got a call from Royal. That means OP transferred the bookings to his/her personal TA.:D Many of us do that for extra OBC.

It could be the TA that wants the higher amount.

Ta's don't get anything, all monies paid go to rci

Most likely your ta placed you in a group booking which changed all the coding on the booking. Pay the amount, it just goes to the cruise price anyway and makes the FP that much less

Ta's don't get anything, all monies paid go to rci

Most likely your ta placed you in a group booking which changed all the coding on the booking. Pay the amount, it just goes to the cruise price anyway and makes the FP that much less

Interesting, we haven't used a TA since 2008 and haven't had this issue before. He claims he also hasn't ever had this happen before but who knows? Would make since placing us in a group.

Booked an OS on Serenade for 2018 while on our last Cruise 1st of May on LOTS. Paid the deposit and and received all paperwork while on the cruise. Our agent today got a call from RCCI demanding an additional $700 for deposit immediately. Now this is around 35 days since we made the booking. Only answer we have gotten is that the next cruise agent was mistaken or booked it wrong and we owe it. If we refuse to pay we also lose our deposit of $250. Anyone else run into this problem?

I might be mistaken, but I believe that now when you book a GS or higher cabin you do not get a reduced deposit and must pay the full deposit.

I might be mistaken, but I believe that now when you book a GS or higher cabin you do not get a reduced deposit and must pay the full deposit.

We booked when it was a reduced deposit amount sale.

Why would they wait 35+ days to demand an additional amount?

We booked when it was a reduced deposit amount sale.

Why would they wait 35+ days to demand an additional amount?

With RCI changing their rules at the drop of a hat, it's no wonder the on board agents can't keep up. This link, which was sent to all TAs should help http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2474210

As pointed out it could have been moved to a group booking, which changes the deposit. We booked two balcony cabins with Next Cruise in November for upcoming October. When our TA moved the booking to her agency group we had to pay up the full deposit.

This.

It happens occasionally to me. After initial booking, my TA will call and say she can put me in as part of a group for better perks or pricing, but she always cautions that I will have to pay additional deposit money. And I always do.

I too do not see the reason to fuss: pay me now, or pay me later.

Point of fact, a low deposit can cause unintentional sticker shock later. Last year I booked a 14 day on Princess for 2018 with a $100 deposit. Recently I was going through my future bookings, saw the final payment amount, and thought ooops, that's a big chunk of change. I'll be making monthly payments to my TA.

As pointed out it could have been moved to a group booking, which changes the deposit. We booked two balcony cabins with Next Cruise in November for upcoming October. When our TA moved the booking to her agency group we had to pay up the full deposit.

I would think they would tell you if they moved you to a group booking. Can you still do price drops on a group booking on Royal? Or are you now part of a group locked into that price? I would think you should also see more perks if you are now in a group so they would tell you about that.

This.

I too do not see the reason to fuss: pay me now, or pay me later.

How about the possibility that not everyone just has $700 laying around right after vacation and paying the deposit on a cruise that doesn't need to be paid for until next year.

Sometimes people here need to remember that not everyone is independently wealthy and some (if not most) have to make a concerted effort to save for a vacation. Luckily for us we are somewhere in between having to make the effort and being independently wealthy...just wish we were closer to the wealthy end of the spectrum :D

I would think they would tell you if they moved you to a group booking. Can you still do price drops on a group booking on Royal? Or are you now part of a group locked into that price? I would think you should also see more perks if you are now in a group so they would tell you about that.

We just did a price drop on Adventure and we're in a group.