CCL's latest statement about Cuba...cruises to continue

thinfool

I'm not seeing any reports about Trump's actual speech on this. The advance information says the people to people option will be removed, which affects the cruise lines. We should hold our huzzahs until the actual policy is out. However it will take time for the rules to be rewritten and until they are implemented cruises can proceed as planned.

I'm not seeing any reports about Trump's actual speech on this. The advance information says the people to people option will be removed, which affects the cruise lines. We should hold our huzzahs until the actual policy is out. However it will take time for the rules to be rewritten and until they are implemented cruises can proceed as planned.

The advance info I saw said cruises could continue. They seem to be restricting the independent traveler using the people-to-people option. My concern is that the option to leave the ship independently may be taken away, meaning all tours have to be taken from the ship.

The advance info I saw said cruises could continue. They seem to be restricting the independent traveler using the people-to-people option. My concern is that the option to leave the ship independently may be taken away, meaning all tours have to be taken from the ship.

Probably that will be the outcome. Which saddens me as I am in contact with a guide for Havana that I was really looking forward to.

Here is a fuller statement I think.

http://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/news-headlines/carnival-says-trump-s-new-cuba-policy-won-t-block-cruises.html?utm_content=Carnival%20says%20Trump%27s%20new%20Cuba%20policy%20won%27t%20block%20cruises&utm_source=Email&utm_medium=Seatrade%20Cruise%20News&utm_contact=16429578&utm_term=Newsletter_Seatrade%20Cruise%20Breaking%20News&utm_campaign=116720

I suspect that unless Cuba really tightens up on things, you will still have time to wander around on your own, look around and chat with folks as on most of our our 9 ship run land tours there was a lot of free time. When I went several months ago most folks wanted to take the ship tours - they were included in our fare AND most of them were excellent - NONE fair or poor. One could also simply get off the ship and hire folks to take you on tours - only trick was finding someone who's English was sufficient to learn a lot. Also this way there was no personal communication that could easily be tracked - no names were needed, recorded nor tracked as they they could easily be done with e-mails to make arrangements. It is really the US government that is concerned - Cuba seemed to care less.

Of course, all of this may be changed. Glad I went when I did - 7 days on land in Cuba, sleeping and traveling nights and 3 days getting to and from Cuba and Florida.

Just read the AOL account of the impact of his changes. As I read it, IMO, little will change for folks going to Cuba on approved tours - land or cruise ship, at least for now. For folks wanting to go in a totally independent manner - probably there will be more problems to do this, if even possible.

On my trip to CUBA, I had enough "free" time that I spent hours wandering around various neighborhoods in four different cities to please me, and then we had excellent guides for formal tours for several hours each port day. (Of course, one must keep in mind that they cannot always be totally candid. "Big Brother" may always be watching. This goes for independent tour guides as well. As some there told us - to them each tourist is most welcome and appreciated, but they can also be a potential "spy" for their government and may just be paid to report back on what they said/did. (Not the first nor probably the last country where I have experienced this.)

Unless we hear differently from folks traveling under President Trump's regulations I would not worry about any noticeable changes once you get to Cuba from what has been happening the past year. (It may be more difficult to get permission to go there - hard to tell.) I certainly found Cuba to be fascinating and the people most friendly.

NOTE: For those only in Havana a day or two off a cruise ship - this would NOT be my choice unless my ONLY interest was to say I had been there. Way too much to absorb, way too much to learn, way too much to see. I would have loved to extend my trip from 7 full days on shore to 14 or 21.

Your comments are true for just about any cruise port. But then visiting for one or two days is a lot better than nothing at all. Many of us make the most out our days in port and it is more to me than just being able to say that I have been there.

igraf

....For those only in Havana a day or two off a cruise ship - this would NOT be my choice unless my ONLY interest was to say I had been there. Way too much to absorb, way too much to learn, way too much to see. I would have loved to extend my trip from 7 full days on shore to 14 or 21.

Your comments are true for just about any cruise port. But then visiting for one or two days is a lot better than nothing at all. Many of us make the most out our days in port and it is more to me than just being able to say that I have been there.

igraf

Amen!

igraf

Let me add another amen to that!

igraf

I remember a few years ago being asked by a brother-in-law who did not understand our attraction to cruising what we could possibly see when spending so little time in any one port. My answer was "A whole lot more than I can from sitting in my back yard."

I have long wanted to visit Cuba. I am waiting to see how things go before booking. The HAL tour options don't look that great in Havana, and they don't have anything posted for Cienfuegos.

Karen

I've been to Cuba a few times and stayed at an all inclusive ---thoroughly enjoyed it. Tours were offered from the resort. As much as I love cruising, were we to return to Cuba I would choose the all inclusive route and would not go by cruise ship. We were quite free to wander out on our own if we so desired.

The first time I visit a port I always take a ship excursion. That's just me-I am not comfortable wandering off on my own until I am more familiar with a destination.

I actually thought the Havana excursions were interesting but I was concerned that nothing was posted for Cienfuegos. I would love to find a school or church group that could use school supplies. I'd be happy to fill my suitcase with them. I did that when visiting Fanning Island and have fond memories of handing them to one of the local schoolteachers and meeting a student.

I have always wanted to visit Cuba; if I wait until "ordinary" visits are allowed I'll be too old to go. I'm thrilled for the opportunity. I would echo taxmantoo, it's going to be a lot different than sitting in my backyard.

St. Louis Sal

The first time I visit a port I always take a ship excursion. That's just me-I am not comfortable wandering off on my own until I am more familiar with a destination.

I actually thought the Havana excursions were interesting but I was concerned that nothing was posted for Cienfuegos. I would love to find a school or church group that could use school supplies. I'd be happy to fill my suitcase with them. I did that when visiting Fanning Island and have fond memories of handing them to one of the local schoolteachers and meeting a student.

I have always wanted to visit Cuba; if I wait until "ordinary" visits are allowed I'll be too old to go. I'm thrilled for the opportunity. I would echo taxmantoo, it's going to be a lot different than sitting in my backyard.

St. Louis Sal

On one visit to Cuba I took a suitcase full of school supplies to a local church and gave them to one of the priests. He was very happy to receive them. I had been told about this church by friends here in New Brunswick as the priest in charge was from New Brunswick. He was quite accustomed to having people from the province drop supplies off to him.

St. Louis Sal

I agree. I want to go while we can, even if the conditions (lack of free time) aren't ideal. I'm also concerned that if it turns out that the only way to go off the ship is on a tour, there will be cancellations by non-US passengers, who could travel freely on their own if they weren't on a cruise out of the US. And maybe cancellations by US passengers who want to wait for things to get easier. And if these cruises end up selling poorly, there will be fewer of them the next year. That's a lot of ifs, I know, but this is a bucket list thing for me and I don't want to miss the chance.