Civitavecchia Embarkation; Constellation after current Noro outbreak

BunnyLebowski

Yes, was on the two day delay sailing after dry dock. My review and others are held up due to review by Celebrity. Issues ..

Many thanks for the explanation. I and a few more more no doubt had been eagerly awaiting a review of Connie after the refit. I have kept checking this board and the review board and couldn't understand why simply no reviews appeared. Obvious now. In due course it would be great to hear how the ship was, leaving out the problems of the delay. Hope you enjoyed your time on her.

Sorry that you got sick, I'm sure it's no fun.

You do realize that 30% of that ship would be about 600 people? That's a lot.

I had heard it was around 150, but that could be just another rumour

The 30% comment came from a crew member when we asked he also told us that in 1day 54 crew were isolated. We were delayed in Naples because of it some officials came on board not sure why but were told that they could not even serve water on return from touring outside the gangway. I believe it was a big deal when talking with people a lot of people were affected.

I'm really surprised by the 'one estimate of 30%" comment. We've been on several ships with Noro outbreaks, and in each case the Captain made announcements very clearly communicating the severity of the outbreak, including the % of passengers affected, along with reminders about what the passengers could expect in terms of service changes. In one case where there had been outbreaks on at least 2 consecutive cruises, not only was the ship going through deep cleaning, but they were also deep cleaning the pier terminal. The explanation was that departing passengers were spreading the virus on handrails, in restrooms, etc, and new passengers were then picking it up and carrying it back onto the ship for the next cruise.

Yes, was on the two day delay sailing after dry dock. My review and others are held up due to review by Celebrity. Issues ..

Anyone can post a review on this page anytime. You don't have to only post in the Review section.

I'm also pretty sure it's CC that creates the delay and not Celebrity, unless you're posting your review on Celebrity's website.

We were on this sailing, too. I think going into code yellow at first was a misstep; they should have jumped right to code red to curb it earlier. I feel so bad for the crew and officers who worked tirelessly! Finance officers, documentation officers, and pursers were all serving in the buffet. We noticed most of the regular buffet crew went missing during the outbreak, so it must have hit crew, too. The sad thing is that they went gung ho for a day with nonstop disinfection after each table was used in the buffet, but then after that they really slacked off, and we would have to hunt for a table that had the telltale residue of the chemicals. In fact, the aft deck tables seemed to never be disinfected. The crew serving drinks would clean surfaces and then turn and serve pax their drinks, totally unhygienic. Naples was a 2 hour disaster waiting to be cleared to go ashore. Our excursion company was told it was due to us being "a sick ship". Kudos to the crew! I just hope Celebrity will step up their procedures in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Did they do anything special for B2B passengers. As I mentioned in another post they put us on a free tour so they could do the deep cleaning. We didn't start rue boarding until after 6 PM.

We will be doing a b2b on the Connie July 13 and 22nd and are also wondering if Celebrity has any excursions for specifically for those doing b2backs.

Sorry to hear so many became ill, but glad to hear Celebrity working hard to remedy. Hope everyone on board now is feeling great.

Dianne

Good point. I guess we will have to wait until some reviews come back to hear how bad this illness is/was. I read someplace that the Constellation had shortened their late May/early June cruise because of a computer malfunction or something. But have not seen any mention of it on these forums. :(

Constellation was 2 days late coming out of a refit, problems with propulsion following a software upgrade. It was quite wel, reported in here at the time - people having to be put up in hotels many miles out of Barcelona, people missing Grand Prix or having to do flights from Barcelona to make it

I am wondering how things are progressing on your cruise. We were on the cruise prior and were sick. Was the crew able to put a stop to the outbreak after the deep cleaning? I surely hope that things are back to normal so that you can enjoy your time on the Connie>

Just arrived in Rome (yay!) to a text alert from Celebrity stating that the June 24 sailing of the Constellation will take place only after a thorough disinfection due to a current outbreak of "gastrointestinal illness." It was stated that check in will take place between 2-4:30pm and not to arrive before 2pm. We have a private car hired to take us there for an 11am-ish arrival. Should I try to switch timing or will things actually be fine if we need to proceed as currently?

We will be in one of the Penthouse Suites if that matters.

Thanks for any input, folks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did they do anything special for B2B passengers. As I mentioned in another post they put us on a free tour so they could do the deep cleaning. We didn't start rue boarding until after 6 PM.

Yes, the B2B passengers were offered the tour to Rome, and there may have also been another tour offer.

DH and I had no interest n going back to Rome so we hung out in Ciivitavecchia.

I really commend the staff on the job they did in very trying circumstances. My understanding is that did bring staff in from other areas to help.

I find it hard to believe that there was anything like 30% affected, but to the crew working this it probably felt that way though.

We disembark July 4 in Barcelona. This past two days they have slowly begun to return things to "normal". Salt and pepper shakers came back yesterday. Today dessert was still being served.

Yes, the B2B passengers were offered the tour to Rome, and there may have also been another tour offer.

DH and I had no interest n going back to Rome so we hung out in Ciivitavecchia.

I really commend the staff on the job they did in very trying circumstances. My understanding is that did bring staff in from other areas to help.

I find it hard to believe that there was anything like 30% affected, but to the crew working this it probably felt that way though.

We disembark July 4 in Barcelona. This past two days they have slowly begun to return things to "normal". Salt and pepper shakers came back yesterday. Today dessert was still being served.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise.