Avalon tours dress code

gato4

Hello! We are on the August 26 Tranquility II cruise from Amsterdam to Basel with the Zurich and Lake Como extension. Information from our travel agent states that most tours ask for no shorts or jeans. While I wear capris, my DH prefers cargo shorts. I know some cathedrals have a stricter dress code. Could anyone please advise?

Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hello! We are on the August 26 Tranquility II cruise from Amsterdam to Basel with the Zurich and Lake Como extension. Information from our travel agent states that most tours ask for no shorts or jeans. While I wear capris, my DH prefers cargo shorts. I know some cathedrals have a stricter dress code. Could anyone please advise?

Thank you.

We are sailing Tranquility II in Fall '17. We sailed Expression last Spring '16.

Many wore jeans, capris and very casual attire. My husband wore jeans. Since you are traveling during Aug (hot weather), I do not know why cargo shorts would not be correct. The many thing is to wear comfortable shoes and have a rain jacket that you can carry with you.

Can you please tell me how you are transferring to Zurich? We will go to Zurich from Basel to meet with DD and SIL for auto touring thru the Alps. Trying to decide best way to transfer to Zurich.

http://www.avalonwaterways.com/Avalon-Cruises/FAQs/

Clothing

Dress aboard and on shore is casual. Please bring comfortable walking shoes for sightseeing. Dinner attire is casual—open-neck shirts, slacks, dresses. Coats and ties may be worn. The Captain's Welcome and Farewell Dinners in Europe are dressy, but not formal. On the Mekong, Irrawaddy, Amazon and Galápagos coats and ties are not recommended due to the warm humid climate and dressy outfits are not required.

I would look at your daily cruise itinerary and check the places you're going to visit - which cathedrals will you see and what are those dress codes?

Thank you.

Typical European cathedral dress code is no exposed knees or elbows or shoulders on anyone. You can decide from there what is right for you. Would your husband be OK with waiting outside if the Cathedral docents reject his attire?

I'm sure the port talk the evening before will tell you if there are any restrictions.

I would never tour in jeans, but having a light pair of long pants for those days is a good idea.

We are sailing Tranquility II in Fall '17. We sailed Expression last Spring '16.

Many wore jeans, capris and very casual attire. My husband wore jeans. Since you are traveling during Aug (hot weather), I do not know why cargo shorts would not be correct. The many thing is to wear comfortable shoes and have a rain jacket that you can carry with you.

Can you please tell me how you are transferring to Zurich? We will go to Zurich from Basel to meet with DD and SIL for auto touring thru the Alps. Trying to decide best way to transfer to Zurich.

Our time in Zurich and Lake Como is part of our cruise, so our transfer is included. We'll go to Lucerne and Mt. Pilates, spend one night in Zurich, then take a train to Lake Como for three nights.

The train is very simple if you don't overpack.

Our time in Zurich and Lake Como is part of our cruise, so our transfer is included. We'll go to Lucerne and Mt. Pilates, spend one night in Zurich, then take a train to Lake Como for three nights.

Thank you for the reply :)

Some have mentioned on these boards that the dress code for German/French cathedrals isn't as strict as those found in Italy, for example. Maybe others can offer their comments?

If this cathedral is strictly a museum and no longer used for worship, then you can treat it as a museum. If it is a house of worship then you should be dressed appropriately out of respect for the priest and parishioners - which means covered shoulders, elbows and knees - no shorts.

The train is very simple if you don't overpack.

The train is what we are looking at. Avalon transfer is to Zurich Airport ONLY. Would have to take train from airport to Zurich Central Station.

We are planning to travel light as rental car will only hold so many bags.

Thanks for reply to my post :)

Some have mentioned on these boards that the dress code for German/French cathedrals isn't as strict as those found in Italy, for example. Maybe others can offer their comments?

On Danube Avalon Cruise 2016, there were NO dress codes at Cathedrals we visited.

We were in France 2013 and also had no restrictions of clothing at Cathedrals we visited in Paris or in France.

We just got back from Italy where we toured many Cathedrals and they are pretty strict. I almost exclusively wear zip off cargo pants when traveling and touring where Cathedrals are involved. They are extremely light weight and dry quickly if they get wet. Then after the Cathedral it takes 10 seconds to zip off the bottom of the pants and be in cargo shorts. I carry a very light weight day pack and then just stick the pants legs in there. Most of mine are either from Columbia or Eddie Bauer

On Danube Avalon Cruise 2016, there were NO dress codes at Cathedrals we visited.

We were in France 2013 and also had no restrictions of clothing at Cathedrals we visited in Paris or in France.

Thanks Texkan, I've been looking into this and can't find anything on line that says you have to meet a dress code. While I personally don't go into a Church without something covering my shoulders, I have never had to cover my elbows. I have read of people going into the Dom with shorts, not to sure about that, but unless it's in the mid 30's, I won't be wearing shorts either.

That's what was worrying me, couldn't find anything about covering elbows. I'm not a dress/skirt person but capris and light pants will work for me. That's why we chose early May, as we wanted nicer weather to wander in without it being hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I remember in Strasbourg and Cologne there were men at the doors requiring entering men to remove their hats - don't remember if women were required to cover their heads.

Women don't have to cover their heads for touring unless it is during a service, in which case it is polite cover your head like the parishioners do. But most tours are not during services.

in regards to covering elbows - in some cathedrals, if your short sleeves are deemed too short, the docents will not allow you to enter, so it is better to err on the side of caution and wear a 3/4 sleeve thin knit cardigan - these are lightweight and you can take it off easily right after leaving the cathedral. The docents are a grab bag of people, so sometimes you get someone who is extremely picky about your attire. Other times, the docents could care less, but the problem is you don't know who you might get. I have seen people refused entrance due to their attire and also people asked to leave due to their attire. It is embarrassing as the docents can be very rude about it. I suppose the docents feel the person is not showing proper respect so why should they respect the tourist? To avoid embarrassment it is best to go wearing the most conservative outfit possible and then no one will question what you are wearing. The 3/4 sleeve knit cardigans are also inexpensive - on Amazon you can buy them for as little as $11.99 and there are many styles from a bolero to long kimono styles down to your knees.

I'm sorry, but I can't believe the part of about exposed elbows being denied entrance to a cathedral. Having been in plenty in Europe, I've never heard of this. And in mid-summer, when it's hot, most everyone will be wearing short sleeves, so I wouldn't worry about that aspect. Covered shoulders, yes, and covered knees, often. I've also seen these rules flouted with no consequences. Women with tank tops can be quite acceptable if they just bring some kind of lightweight wrap with them.

Typical European cathedral dress code is no exposed knees or elbows or shoulders on anyone. You can decide from there what is right for you. Would your husband be OK with waiting outside if the Cathedral docents reject his attire?

That's what was worrying me, couldn't find anything about covering elbows. I'm not a dress/skirt person but capris and light pants will work for me. That's why we chose early May, as we wanted nicer weather to wander in without it being hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Women with tank tops can be quite acceptable if they just bring some kind of lightweight wrap with them.

I never said women with a wrap over a tank top was unacceptable. But I have seen women in only cap sleeves and sleeves that only covered the upper third of the arm turned away. There is no way you are going to know what the cathedral docent will think before you get to the cathedral so it is best to err on the side of being a little more conservatively dressed than absolutely necessary so as not to draw attention to your attire. Why take the chance and possibly spoil your opportunity to visit?