A bunch of Breakaway questions

Hi all, I have a few questions about Breakaway for our September cruise. I'm sure these topics have been covered here over the years but I'd love to have all of the info in one thread plus have all of the latest information too. I'd really appreciate any help with these, thanks!

• The NCL app - I believe DH and I can use it to call and text each other on the ship. When/how do we set it up, pay for it? Is it $10/pp for the week and are there any additional charges? Can we use it in Bermuda? Do we need to contact our wireless carrier for any reason or will the app work on its own? If we want to text people back home, is that something we need to arrange with our carrier? We get 100 free WiFi minutes on the ship, is that just for web surfing or does that come into play with texting/calling too?

• Balcony setup - We have a large balcony cabin (B6), can we request ahead of time that we just have two chairs and a larger round table out there instead of loungers, three chairs etc. that I've seen on YouTube cabin tours? Can we also request ahead of time that the mini fridge be emptied?

• Beach Towels - Can we take beach towels off the ship?

• Bars - Do any Breakaway bars serve Johnnie Walker Blue and if so, how much is it?

• Cabin power - Does any credit-card sized card (like a store loyalty card, old gift card etc.) work to power the lights and a/c in the cabin?

• Tips - How much do you usually tip in the MDRs, specialty restaurants, bars etc.?

• Restaurants - Is there an exhaustive list somewhere of all of Breakawway's restaurants (complimentary + specialty) and the hours they're open? I also saw a review recently where someone posted many of the menus and I'm having trouble finding it, does anyone know whose review that was or have a link to it?

• Thermal Spa - Does Breakaway limit the number of weekly Thermal Spa passes they sell?

• Additional Charges - We have the UBP and SDP promotions, I'm confused about what if any extra charges we'll incur onboard. I think that the UBP includes everything up to $15, will we be charged a gratuity on topof every drink we get even if it's under $15? We don't care but just want to know what to expect.

Very excited that we're 66 days out! Appreciate any input, thanks!!! :)

Hi all, I have a few questions about Breakaway for our September cruise. I'm sure these topics have been covered here over the years but I'd love to have all of the info in one thread plus have all of the latest information too. I'd really appreciate any help with these, thanks!

• The NCL app - I believe DH and I can use it to call and text each other on the ship. When/how do we set it up, pay for it? Is it $10/pp for the week and are there any additional charges? Can we use it in Bermuda? Do we need to contact our wireless carrier for any reason or will the app work on its own? If we want to text people back home, is that something we need to arrange with our carrier? We get 100 free WiFi minutes on the ship, is that just for web surfing or does that come into play with texting/calling too?

• Balcony setup - We have a large balcony cabin (B6), can we request ahead of time that we just have two chairs and a larger round table out there instead of loungers, three chairs etc. that I've seen on YouTube cabin tours? Can we also request ahead of time that the mini fridge be emptied?

• Beach Towels - Can we take beach towels off the ship? Yes

• Bars - Do any Breakaway bars serve Johnnie Walker Blue and if so, how much is it?

• Cabin power - Does any credit-card sized card (like a store loyalty card, old gift card etc.) work to power the lights and a/c in the cabin? Yes

• Tips - How much do you usually tip in the MDRs, specialty restaurants, bars etc.? MDR nothing, Specialties nothing, Bar if the bartender is good then an occasional buck or two.

• Restaurants - Is there an exhaustive list somewhere of all of Breakawway's restaurants (complimentary + specialty) and the hours they're open? I also saw a review recently where someone posted many of the menus and I'm having trouble finding it, does anyone know whose review that was or have a link to it?

• Thermal Spa - Does Breakaway limit the number of weekly Thermal Spa passes they sell? Yes

• Additional Charges - We have the UBP and SDP promotions, I'm confused about what if any extra charges we'll incur onboard. I think that the UBP includes everything up to $15, will we be charged a gratuity on topof every drink we get even if it's under $15? We don't care but just want to know what to expect. You have already paid the 'gratuities' on both packages, the only charge you will incur on board is when you are in a locality that charges taxes (usually port city) until you are in international waters. You will also be charged the price difference on a drink over the $15 limit plus 18% 'gratuity' on the overage.

Have a good time

On the NCL, what is your smartphone - iPhone or Androids like Samsung or LG, you will need to know how to use Airplane mode, turn off roaming data and only need to ship's WiFi.

The App works only onboard the ship and not on the Bermuda islands. Each device will be billed for a one time $9.99 fee for texting and calling others on the ship. You do not use billable WiFi data or minutes to text or calling land at 79 cents a minute, charge to your onboard account - good use of any OBC.

See my link under signature for more details.

Birdtravels sailed to Bermuda on BA and had pictures & dining menus, search BA posts for it, about a month old.

via Nexus 5X on Nougat 7.1.2 using Tapatalk, VPN secured.

• The NCL app - I believe DH and I can use it to call and text each other on the ship. When/how do we set it up, pay for it? Once on board and your cruise is loaded into their system, you can register your phones. Is it $10/pp for the week and are there any additional charges? for the week Can we use it in Bermuda? As long as you are on the ship. Do we need to contact our wireless carrier for any reason or will the app work on its own? Works on its own. If we want to text people back home, is that something we need to arrange with our carrier? You need to get their international rates so you are not surprised. We have AT&T and it is $2.50 per minute, $0.50 per text message sent, $1.30 for a message with picture/video. $8.19 per MB used (that's $819 per GB). We get 100 free WiFi minutes on the ship, is that just for web surfing or does that come into play with texting/calling too? If you have VOIP app like Facetime or Skype, you can use those to call via internet. BTW: They do not sell internet by the minute on the BA,,,, it will be some equivalent number of MB of ship's wifi.

• Balcony setup - We have a large balcony cabin (B6), can we request ahead of time that we just have two chairs and a larger round table out there instead of loungers, three chairs etc. that I've seen on YouTube cabin tours? No. Can we also request ahead of time that the mini fridge be emptied? No. (actually you can request, but it won't happen and your steward may not be able to change furniture)

• Beach Towels - Can we take beach towels off the ship? Yes. There is normally a towel exchange at the gangway to get a fresh towel when you return. Otherwise, leave it on your bathroom floor and your steward will replace it during evening turn down.

• Bars - Do any Breakaway bars serve Johnnie Walker Blue and if so, how much is it? it is available. Super Premium spirits are $16.95+18% per shot. Blue is considered an Ultra Premium (higher than Super) and the price is not quoted. So probably around $25-$30.

• Cabin power - Does any credit-card sized card (like a store loyalty card, old gift card etc.) work to power the lights and a/c in the cabin?Yes

• Tips - How much do you usually tip in the MDRs, specialty restaurants, bars etc.?Tips are already included in the price of dining. You can tip extra if you choose.

• Thermal Spa - Does Breakaway limit the number of weekly Thermal Spa passes they sell? As many as people want to buy. But if you want one, buy online before your cruise for a discount or early on embarkation day.

• Additional Charges - We have the UBP and SDP promotions, I'm confused about what if any extra charges we'll incur onboard. I think that the UBP includes everything up to $15, will we be charged a gratuity on topof every drink we get even if it's under $15? We don't care but just want to know what to expect. you pay nothing for drinks under $15. You pay the difference in price and 18% on the difference for drinks over $15. For dinners, there is an upcharge when using your SDP at Ocean Blue, Cirque and Sushi.

Have fun. We were on the Breakaway last month and had a great time

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2504449

• Balcony setup - We have a large balcony cabin (B6), can we request ahead of time that we just have two chairs and a larger round table out there instead of loungers, three chairs etc. that I've seen on YouTube cabin tours? Can we also request ahead of time that the mini fridge be emptied? - Can't ask ahead of time but your steward will try to accommodate your requests on boarding day.

• Beach Towels - Can we take beach towels off the ship? - Yes

• Bars - Do any Breakaway bars serve Johnnie Walker Blue and if so, how much is it? - I saw it at a couple of bars but I do not remember the cost.

• Cabin power - Does any credit-card sized card (like a store loyalty card, old gift card etc.) work to power the lights and a/c in the cabin? - Yes

• Tips - How much do you usually tip in the MDRs, specialty restaurants, bars etc.? - All of those venues are either covered by the DSC, or they add an 18% service charge to your bill. There is no need to leave anything additional, but you are free to give your server any additional amount you desire.

• Restaurants - Is there an exhaustive list somewhere of all of Breakawway's restaurants (complimentary + specialty) and the hours they're open? I also saw a review recently where someone posted many of the menus and I'm having trouble finding it, does anyone know whose review that was or have a link to it? - You can find the list on ncl.com, hours will not be listed but they are roughly 5:00 - 9:30 for dinner.

• Thermal Spa - Does Breakaway limit the number of weekly Thermal Spa passes they sell? - Yes, if you want it buy it ahead of time, though I prefer the spas on the older ships because they have more pools at different temps.

• Additional Charges - We have the UBP and SDP promotions, I'm confused about what if any extra charges we'll incur onboard. I think that the UBP includes everything up to $15, will we be charged a gratuity on topof every drink we get even if it's under $15? We don't care but just want to know what to expect. - Your services charges, if required were collected at final payment. You will not have any additional bar service charges or tips, and you will not have them when you dine using your SDP.

Notes above.

Thank you everyone! That's exactly the information I was hoping to get and all in one place. We really appreciate you sharing all of your Breakaway knowledge! This is only our third cruise (we had to cancel an RCCL cruise on Allure last year due to health concerns) and we're totally excited to be 65 days out now. We loved being able to drive to the port for our last cruise too, in fact we were off the ship in NYC on Sunday morning and sitting in our church in South Jersey by 11:00 am. There's nothing like travelling to an island paradise without the hassle of coordinating (and paying for) flights and hotel. And DH and I agree that there's no vacation quite like a cruise, totally exciting and romantic and as relaxing as you want it to be.

Quick question for HBCcruiser, do you have a link to that "Amazing Dining Options" table? I'd like to share it with my DH but I'm having trouble keeping it clear enough once I enlarge it.