Teppandaki and shellfish allergy

cadmille

They do cook everything together on the same surface...but sometimes, they will cook HER meal in the back, and bring it out. I don't know if that will affect the flavor or not....I've seen that happen in land-based Japanese Steakhouses.

My husband also has a very severe shellfish allergy (will stop him from breathing) and Teppanyaki is my favorite restaurant. They will ask about allergies when ordering and will make allowances for that.

Generally, if someone has ordered shrimp or lobster, his food is prepared first. It's not ideal and he feels self conscious because a manager will come talk to you to make sure they're taking care of your needs. But they do a very good job of taking care of that type of thing!

Only once or twice has anyone been rude about it because they had to wait a little longer for their food but it happens. Just have to roll with it.

My wife has severe shellfish allergy ( I know it sucks to be her, shes never had it so she doesn't miss it) is it worth it or safe for her to go to teppandaki resturant? tia.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

OP, I assume your wife carries an Epipen at all times, yes? If so, go to Teppanyaki, if not, stay away. As hard as NCL tries to ensure the safety of it's passengers, there can always be mishaps. Be proactive and ensure that even if there is a slipup on the part of NCL, you've (your wife too) got it covered. Never assume that someone else will take proper care. JMO

Enjoy your cruise

yes she always has a Epipen pen witb her, only needed it once when a restaurant served her soup that was suppose to be potatoe soup and turned out to be claim chowder, not a good night.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

Exactly, a perfect example. Sorry you and your wife had to experience it but it speaks to the reason why she needs to carry it always. You can't depend on others to keep your darling wife safe. As long as you're aware, she has a champion by her side, she will survive.

Enjoy your cruise.

I traveled with someone will a fish allergy and we went to teppanyaki. They brought out a different soup for her (the normal one has a fish broth) and cooked her food before they put any shrimp down. Now that surface has cooked shrimp before but is cleaned in between. I don't know if they would cook it in an allergy kitchen if her allergy is severe enough for that to be a concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you are going to go also be aware of certain sauces, marinades and condiments having umami paste or shrimp paste in the cooking. It's more typical of Chinese cusine but its popular all over eastern Asia.

If a sauce is declared vegetarian then you can guess it doesn't have the above in it. :)

My friend also has a shellfish allergy. She always makes sure to get the very first reservation of the night when she goes to Teppanyaki and tells the server and chef of her allergy. Her meal is cooked first and she reports that she's never had a problem.

Tracy

OP, I assume your wife carries an Epipen at all times, yes? If so, go to Teppanyaki, if not, stay away. As hard as NCL tries to ensure the safety of it's passengers, there can always be mishaps. Be proactive and ensure that even if there is a slipup on the part of NCL, you've (your wife too) got it covered. Never assume that someone else will take proper care. JMO

Enjoy your cruise

My sister has a severe allergy to crustaceans (she cannot eat crab, lobster, shrimp, or crayfish) and she carries Epipens at all times. She knows that eating in ANY restaurant there is a risk of cross-contamination and she could be exposed to her allergen. But FYI: An allergic reaction requiring an Epipen injection IS still an emergency situation. And one needs to go to a hospital after an Epipen injection. So having to inject an Epipen on a cruise ship would certainly be a lifesaver, but the person is still not "out of the fire".

Be sure to contact the Access Desk before you cruise and complete the form they have for food allergies. I've found NCL to be very good about handling them (which as someone pointed out, doesn't mean your wife should also watch out for herself as you well know!). When I sailed with NCL the first time I was gluten-sensitive; it certainly wouldn't kill me to consume the amount of gluten there is in soy sauce, but it would make me ill enough to ruin my evening, so I was very appreciative that when I arrived at Teppanyaki, the hostess and waiter were aware I was GF and let me know the chef would cook my food first. When the chef came out, he immediately told me not to worry and he would make sure no soy sauce came near my food. He cooked my food before the other guests' dishes. It was mildly awkward to be sitting there eating while the chef prepared food for the other guests, but I'd rather feel a bit awkward than get sick!

NCL has a separate area in the galleys to prepare food for those with allergies to prevent cross-contamination. But, you do need to let them know ahead of time about your wife's allergy. As others have said, there may be sauces that have shell fish in them, so it's best they know ahead of time and it's also a good idea for your wife to tell your servers that she has the allergy. I found them to be very knowledgeable about how the food is prepared.

Have a great cruise!