Last Minute Scheduling

cole1982

Members on this board have booked in the morning (you have to call, can't do it online) and sailed in the afternoon. EM

Wow that's impressive!! Maybe when I'm retired I can try to pull that off!! Would be great!

This makes me feel better! I'm gonna have to book within a week of the last week in July cruises and wasn't seeing stuff online.

Can you still go through a TA or should I book direct call?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A couple of thoughts.

First, you used to be able to get great deals until just a few days before sailing. Now it seems that everything is sold out a couple of weeks out.

Second, you can book as late as the morning of if there is anything available. You have to call Carnival and they will call the ship to see what is available.

Third, we tried to do this once and there were a couple of cabins available but there was no deal. The prices were higher than if we just booked the same cruise the next week, so we didn't pursue this.

Fourth, I think this is more of a possibility if there is some reason that large amounts of people can't get to the ship, such as snow storms in the north and east so people can't fly out. Also true if there are storms at the departure port where people can't fly in to catch the ship.

Good luck!

This makes me feel better! I'm gonna have to book within a week of the last week in July cruises and wasn't seeing stuff online.

Can you still go through a TA or should I book direct call?

Hi

I would call direct. The ship might only have a handful of cabins available on the whole ship. I would want to be sure that they are seeing everything available.

Once you do decide, don't wait to think about it too much. It is possible that there may be many cabins available but if not, there will be others looking to book at the same time as yourself and if there are only a few cabins you might find yourself with no choice.

good luck

Just how close to a leave date can you schedule to go on a cruise? I know it's a chance that it's sold out... and have you done it?

I booked an April 1st cruise, balcony cabin on the Glory around March 15. We had been to Australia, New Zealand and the Cook Islands all February and early March, but then NY got hit with snow and cold weather so we decided to get out of town again.

I usually book a vacation or cruise 6 months to a year prior, this was the 1st time I booked so close to departure.

It's the time of year. Summer cruises I would not wait more than 90 days before sailing. My cruise this Sunday has been 100% booked for a while. Winter you can get more last minute stuff.

And yet I looked today and there are a number of cabins available on the 13 August sailing on the Breeze, but selection is poor and prices are not cheap.

Long gone are the days to wait til right before departure and get a great deal - Wish it was still that way - Would be nice if they did some sort of hey I will pay this amount for this cruise if it is available and allow open spaces to go that way - Kinda like priceline this way I could put in okay I am willing to pay $300 for 2 people on any inside cabin for this 3 day cruise - If I get selected then charge me

I agree with bnorris. Carnival does not offer last minute deals like they used to. Carnival now tends to raise prices the closer it gets to sail date and with demand higher now, ships typically sell out in advance. That being said, the only other factor I can think of is the Department of Homeland Security mandate about Carnival providing passenger manifests to them.

U.S Department of Homeland Security (DHS) requires Carnival Cruise Line to submit a final departure manifest with specific guest information at least 60 minutes prior to departure. All guests are required to provide us with check-in information by completing their Online Check-in and selecting their Arrival Appointment no later than midnight (eastern time) prior to their sailing date.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3180/kw/online%20check-in%20and%20arrival%20appointment

In 2013, I was on a list for last minute departure calls from Port of Charleston.

Basically, as my PVP told me, if they start check in the morning of the cruise and know for sure that cabins will be available, they will call through the list offering to sell the cabins. ( I needed a 5 hr window to make it down, which was tight)

We got called twice that year, and both times I could not swing the time off that fast. Both times were at 10 am.

I have not gotten called again. Not sure if the program stopped, or I got removed from the list since I turned them down twice.

The prices were decent, about $40 per person per day for an inside. Just could not get the days off.