Are Deposits Refundable?

globe9

The wife and I are considering booking a cruise for October of 2019 on the Norwegian Escape. I have tried searching the NCL website for a clear answer, but am slightly confused. When would the deposit become non-refundable? The website lists 89-76 days out at 25%. Does this mean that anything sooner than 90 days out cancellation would be possible and I would be refunded deposit? Is the deposit refundable at all? We don't plan on cancelling, but this far out makes that impossible to know.

The wife and I are considering booking a cruise for October of 2019 on the Norwegian Escape. I have tried searching the NCL website for a clear answer, but am slightly confused. When would the deposit become non-refundable? The website lists 89-76 days out at 25%. Does this mean that anything sooner than 90 days out cancellation would be possible and I would be refunded deposit? Is the deposit refundable at all? We don't plan on cancelling, but this far out makes that impossible to know.

Yes, so long as you are booking directly with NCL from the United States. Booking directly with NCL in other countries or via travel agents may have different rules on deposit refunds.

Note: NCL is offering $50 deposits on many of the cruises currently.

As long as you cancel within 90 days (or 120 days if in a suite / Haven) you will receive a full refund...

Do you mean I have 90 days from time of booking to receive refund on deposit? So October of 2017 if I book today? Or 90 days from actual sailing, which would be July of 2019?

Our TA just sent us an email re RCCL's new deposit policy. They will now withhold $100 of deposit for each booking. We have nothing booked with them so did not check out the details, but it sounds like there are two options, book at a discount price when you choose the option with $100 withheld at cancellation, or pay slightly more and get full deposit refunded on cancellation.

I'm guessing NCL and most others will soon follow.

If you cancel 90 or more days prior to sailing (120 days if in a suite) you will get a full refund.

Since you're looking at an October sailing, this wouldn't impact you, but if you decide to switch to a holiday sailing, I believe you would need to cancel 120 days out to avoid a financial penalty. And although not officially required, I would attempt to cancel a few days or a week before the deadline....just in case something goes wrong!

Our TA just sent us an email re RCCL's new deposit policy. They will now withhold $100 of deposit for each booking. We have nothing booked with them so did not check out the details, but it sounds like there are two options, book at a discount price when you choose the option with $100 withheld at cancellation, or pay slightly more and get full deposit refunded on cancellation.

I'm guessing NCL and most others will soon follow.

carnival cruise lines has something like that called early saver. NCL is only cruise with a simple deposit and refund policy compared to other cruise lines