Why 80 days?

undecided1

Does anyone have an idea/theory on why the bidding starts at 80 days? It seems like no one is getting an upgrade before the 30 day mark and most at 10, so why 80? I am still 50 days away and have changed my bid at least 20 times both up and down. This long wait is making me nuts.

TIA

Edited by undecided1
Dang autocorrect

Just a WILD AIMLESS GUESS !

May have something to do with the final payment date of 90 days before sailing and getting the guarantee

cabin assignments taken care of.

At this point everything should be in order and accounted for -

Time to play musical domino cabins - folks bidding on suites (or mini-suites) and balconies.

Then a bidding round of other cabins that have opened up after the first round.

Some opening up other opportunities for getting a bigger better cabin or change of location.

This could go on for several days - even up to sailing until the bidding clock runs out.

NCL does not reveal the order of mayhem of the way the process works.

The cruise I am taking is now past the 80 day mark and guarantee cabin assignments have been made and bidding offers

are being entertained. NCL is playing a cruise ebay game with minimum bids that will be accepted trying to maximize

the financial yield filling all the top end cabins leaving only a few insides and ocean view empty.

Unlike ebay however you can not see who is bidding what and trying to raise the bid ante as the clock times out !

If more CC members who have bid on the cabin upgrade would respond with their success and failures

we would have a better idea of the workings.

Que sera sera

Does anyone have an idea/theory on why the bidding starts at 80 days? It seems like no one is getting an upgrade before the 30 day mark and most at 10, so why 80? I am still 50 days away and have changed my bid at least 20 times both up and down. This long wait is making me nuts.

TIA

We actually had our bid accepted @ 42 days out. We bid once, did not adjust it after & waited. Maybe they are waiting to see how many times you are willing to alter your bid & how high you are willing to go before you stop bidding.

Why 80 days?

Since payment is due at 90. Give another 10 days to work out cabins that should be cancelled but were not, fix problems and evaluate how cabins they things will be left as some people are still buying cabins.

Why not wait until a week before? Having 80 days gives them plenty of time to adjust their workload. Remember how many ships they have leaving each and every week or so. Lots of juggling of workloads. Get all the options in from customers as soon as possible, and then work through it as time permits.

Why not confirm bids/upgrades sooner? Some people are still buying cruises right up until a few days before departure. They do not want to miss those buyers.

I think 80 days is too far (early) ahead to start the bidding war. Should be 45 or less days ahead. Ours was 45 days when we got email inviting us to bid, and we got the acceptance email 5 days before the cruise. Why 5 days? Because we bid low, lol, and they prolly wait until the last moment! We got the cabin that was the furthest from all! (BKWY 15100, if you look up the deck plans you'll know what I mean).

TIA

You've answered your own question.

They WANT you to think about it...have self doubt, increase your bid, anticipate, make you want it. It is all about creating desire and turning it into $$$$.

And the longer that period is, the better for NCL (not for you). This is also why they wait until the very last minute (except in cases where people bid high enough that they want to grab it before the bidder changes their mind) to assign cabins...they want to get the most people bidding to the highest price.

The longer they can keep you dangling for a reply, the more doubts you will have about your bid being too low...you then submit a higher bid not wanting to lose out.:D

Look at it this way...if no one purchased the cabin at its original price NCL wants to recoup as much money as it can and not just hope someone at the last minute who is desperate to get on the sailing will come along and say "Yeah" to whatever the actual cabin price is.

MARAPRINCE