Which book goes along with narration from Bridge on Alaskan cruises?

rgmacm

Is it Alaska Cruise Companion by Rachel Cartwright or Alaska By Cruise Ship (Anne Vipond) that goes along with the narration from the Bridge?

How much does it (one or both) cost on the ship?

If we were to purchase an older version online, how 'different' would it be from the current one? (as in...would it be possible to use it without too much problem...willing to deal with a 'little bit' of problem... :D)

On our Alaska cruises the naturalist was simply talking about what we were seeing as we cruised along and only while we were in certain areas. Never heard anything that was read from one of the books that you mention.

Not real certain why you would want to be reading from a book anyway. You would miss the real life scenery if you were doing that.

Princess now uses Rachel Cartwright's book. They used to use Joe Upton's book.

I think Anne Vipond's book is good for researching Alaska but Rachel's book is good for on the cruise (and also for reading before hand).

Not real certain why you would want to be reading from a book anyway. You would miss the real life scenery if you were doing that.

For me, it's not so much reading as having an efficient way to note where we saw something in the book or map (that we get to take home).

Anyone else noticed that you can't pre-order the book on the Princess website? Or is that just me?

For me, it's not so much reading as having an efficient way to note where we saw something in the book or map (that we get to take home).

Anyone else noticed that you can't pre-order the book on the Princess website? Or is that just me?

They used to allow it.(n)

After a great dinner, as I walk into my stateroom and find the Princess Patter waiting for me, I just might enjoy sitting down and reading a little history about where we're going to be tomorrow. The naturalist doesn't speak daily, or doesn't always speak about where we're going; instead they might speak about one aspect or about the animals we'll see, but not the history.

Or maybe I want to read it before cruising. Or after; the Patter has notes that refer to the book, so if I want to see where we went and learn more, there's an easy cross-reference. Or maybe I want to read about where we didn't go, and contemplate doing a different itinerary next time.

I just looked and I could order the book and map set for $18.99. It is under onboard reservations and then under gifts from princess shops. Hope this helps.

Yes, but if you try to order it, you can't. The "add to cart" button doesn't work.

After a great dinner, as I walk into my stateroom and find the Princess Patter waiting for me, I just might enjoy sitting down and reading a little history about where we're going to be tomorrow. The naturalist doesn't speak daily, or doesn't always speak about where we're going; instead they might speak about one aspect or about the animals we'll see, but not the history.

Or maybe I want to read it before cruising. Or after; the Patter has notes that refer to the book, so if I want to see where we went and learn more, there's an easy cross-reference. Or maybe I want to read about where we didn't go, and contemplate doing a different itinerary next time.

If you are interested in the history of areas visited on the cruise I highly recommend reading Klondike (or Klondike Fever) by Pierre Berton, and The Floor of Heaven by Howard Blum. There are several authors who set their novels in Alaska ex Dana Stabenow.

I found the cruise companion helpful as it would often state which side of the ship certain mileposts would be on. I would read the pertinent sections the night before so that I would know the next day what we would be seeing. It would also tell you what parts you might miss during the night depending on your schedule. I thought it was very nice to have. Our captain even signed them during our cruise. He would also announce each day what mileposts could expect to see.

I just looked and I could order the book and map set for $18.99. It is under onboard reservations and then under gifts from princess shops. Hope this helps.

I have found it on Amazon (used) ranging in price from $6-$23.... With such a wide price range, it's made me wonder if some of these are very OLD versions... Does anyone know if it's updated every year or every few years? If so, would an older version be fine as long as it isn't from 1978? ;):D or would the differences make it be more trouble than it's worth? (sometimes newer versions of books just get an updated cover....nothing on the inside really changes....)

None of the descriptions on Amazon mention the map so I guess I would be taking a gamble as to whether or not it would be there.... ;)

I have found it on Amazon (used) ranging in price from $6-$23.... With such a wide price range, it's made me wonder if some of these are very OLD versions... Does anyone know if it's updated every year or every few years? If so, would an older version be fine as long as it isn't from 1978? ;):D or would the differences make it be more trouble than it's worth? (sometimes newer versions of books just get an updated cover....nothing on the inside really changes....)

None of the descriptions on Amazon mention the map so I guess I would be taking a gamble as to whether or not it would be there.... ;)

The Anne Vipond Alaska By Cruiseship just came out with a new version. I had the last one borrowed from the library and checked to see how different they were.

Not a whole lot was different. Mostly grammar/spelling changes. Some update on cost of things.

If you really think about it the landscape, glaciers and wildlife really don't change that much and most of the excursion type things don't change that much other than price.

I really do enjoy looking at the map and dreaming of what I will see next month so there is that.

If the map is a must have then I would go for the "new" book. If you can live without the map then I would go for the "used" book.