Escape Balcony Divider Doors - Will they open for us?

janeyfm

Hello,

My friends and I are sailing on the Escape in August 2017. We have cabins next to each other and would like to open the balcony divider doors between the cabins. I've seen posts about the doors and it's 50/50 that they will or won't open them for us.

Have any of you sailed on the Escape in 2017 and asked to have the balcony divider doors opened? If so, what happened?

Any info you can share would be appreciated.

Thanks

:):p:cool::cool:

I've seen posts about the doors and it's 50/50 that they will or won't open them for us.

The dividers should not be opened. They are there for a safety reason.

The official NCL answer is that they are not to be opened except for maintenance and emergencies

Are there some stewards who will open them anyway? Yes. (That's why there are conflicting reports)

Are there some guests who will open them on their own after being denied by the steward? Yes.

Search: =107"]Escape Dividers

What more of an answer can you expect? 50/50 - ask once on board, hope for the best. Not sure why the year matters.

There really isn't any other response...

I guess if someone has sailed in the last 6 months they could let me know if they asked the room steward and if they did it for them or if i would have more luck with guest services. Didn't realize my question would be a burden for others. It looks as though I did cause you some grief and for that, I apologize. Have yourself a wonderful day.

We were on the escape in 2016 and were able to have them open. Just got off the escape on Saturday and this trip we were not able to. Heard from other people that they too were told no. You are going to have a great time- the Escape is an awesome ship!

Wow, I'm really sorry for the hassle of asking a question of fellow cruisers. Have a great day and I hope your next cruises are extra special.

You just have some people who can't fathom that it's sometimes easier to ask a question over again.

It's the same response to threads about smoking, drink packages, or the multitude of topics that are asked.

The standard search ( CC search engine can take you anywhere and not necessarily to the topic) can be worthless.

Stick around long enough you will learn who to ignore.

You just have some people who can't fathom that it's sometimes easier to ask a question over again.

It's the same response to threads about smoking, drink packages, or the multitude of topics that are asked.

The standard search ( CC search engine can take you anywhere and not necessarily to the topic) can be worthless.

Stick around long enough you will learn who to ignore.

Thank you! You've restored my faith in this site. :cool:

We were on the escape in 2016 and were able to have them open. Just got off the escape on Saturday and this trip we were not able to. Heard from other people that they too were told no. You are going to have a great time- the Escape is an awesome ship!

Thanks so much for the info. .. I'm very excited!!

Thank you! You've restored my faith in this site. :cool:

With a name like BEERMAN I can't help but smile. Reminds me of the guy who sells beer in our section at the Texas Rangers. That is what we call him! He is VERY popular.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I guess if someone has sailed in the last 6 months they could let me know if they asked the room steward and if they did it for them or if i would have more luck with guest services. Didn't realize my question would be a burden for others. It looks as though I did cause you some grief and for that, I apologize. Have yourself a wonderful day.

Janeyfm,

We sailed on the Escape in January 2017 and they would NOT open the balcony doors. We asked the steward and we went to Guest Services and both times were told that it was a safety issue. My husband was able to open the door and we only left it open as long as our group were in their rooms.

In comparison, in June 2016 my mom and I were on the Caribbean Princess for a UK cruise and the lock on our balcony dividing door was gone completely (rusted out). I had to wedge something between the door and the wall to stop it from banging back and forth all day and night...I guess Princess didn't think that it was too much of a security issue for them. I suppose it depends on the line and perhaps even the ship.

Deb

were told that it was a safety issue. My husband was able to open the door...

This is really aggravating. Selfish, even.

"We were told its a safety issue, but we did it anyway because we know better."

You may not be able to appreciate that it is a safety issue, and it really may not be that much of a safety issue. But that really isn't up to you. Do as your told. Grow up. Show respect.

...I guess Princess didn't think that it was too much of a security issue for them. I suppose it depends on the line and perhaps even the ship.

For NCL, it isn't so much of a security issue as it is a safety issue.

The dividers are there to lessen/prevent the spread of fire. They have the ability to open in order to allow firefighters to quickly move from one balcony to the next in order to fight the fire. They also open for routine maintenance by the crew.

During this fatal fire (retired Air Force Sergeant, Richard Liffridge) ....

tater1800.jpg

... the dividers didn't prevent the spread of the fire nor were they able to be opened. The firefighters had to chop their way from one balcony to the next. The NCL dividers have the ability to open for a reason and the reason isn't so that guests can "double balcony" with friends/family. The NCL dividers are also made from different materials than what the Star Princess had.

Long story short, the dividers serve a purpose and should remain closed until they are required to be opened.

With a name like BEERMAN I can't help but smile. Reminds me of the guy who sells beer in our section at the Texas Rangers. That is what we call him! He is VERY popular.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

😂😂😂 The beer business did pay the bills 25 years!

For NCL, it isn't so much of a security issue as it is a safety issue.

The dividers are there to lessen/prevent the spread of fire. They have the ability to open in order to allow firefighters to quickly move from one balcony to the next in order to fight the fire. They also open for routine maintenance by the crew.

During this fatal fire (retired Air Force Sergeant, Richard Liffridge) ....

tater1800.jpg

... the dividers didn't prevent the spread of the fire nor were they able to be opened. The firefighters had to chop their way from one balcony to the next. The NCL dividers have the ability to open for a reason and the reason isn't so that guests can "double balcony" with friends/family. The NCL dividers are also made from different materials than what the Star Princess had.

Long story short, the dividers serve a purpose and should remain closed until they are required to be opened.

In Oct. we asked a high ranking officer that we had meet in the Vibe area. We asked if it was possible and without hesitation he said yes.

Took our cabin #'s and by the time we returned to cabin the divider was open.

Did he go against company policy ( safety/security) , I have no idea. I highly doubt a high ranking officer would risk his position if indeed it is against company policy though.

Did he go against company policy ( safety/security) , I have no idea. I highly doubt a high ranking officer would risk his position if indeed it is against company policy though.

Yes. He went against the cruise line fire safety policy to ensure a customer had a great cruise.

At one time, it was at the Captain's discretion as to how many (if any) balcony dividers could be open, when, and where. AFAIK, that is no longer the case. It is now NCL policy that they aren't to be open except when needed.

Does it still happen? Obviously, yes.

We were on the Escape in June 2017. We had adjoining balcony cabins on deck 9 with our DS and his family. DS asked cabin steward, on embarkation day, if we could have divider open. He replied, yes , if the Captain approved request. We were pleasantly surprised the next morning after returning from breakfast the divider was open!

This was our first NCL cruise, so had nothing to do with our status. Good luck!:)

My sister and I sailed same week in 2017 with our families. Her family in the Haven and mine in two large balconies. They opened her shared balconies but they couldn't open ours due to safety reasons. I simply don't buy it. They accommodate when they do and dont when they don't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They opened her shared balconies but they couldn't open ours due to safety reasons. I simply don't buy it. They accommodate when they do and dont when they don't.

What you do not seem to understand is that the ship is divided into fire zones. If your balcony divider happens to be along one of those lines, then it cannot (or should not) be opened while underway. It is a legitimate safety issue.

Whether you choose to "buy" that or not changes nothing.

So when some post they opened large balcony rooms on Escape and other times they do not, what changed? I simply dont believe they are random with safety compliance. If it were a legitimate safety issue, they simply wouldn't do it. I don't think they are caviler with safety. But yes, with accommodations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So when some post they opened large balcony rooms on Escape and other times they do not, what changed?

The location of the balcony divider reference the fire zone boundary.

The zone boundary goes through the center of the ship, through corridors, through the staterooms (between two, actually), and out to the balconies.

Here's a diagrammatic showing the seven fire zones on Carnival Splendor. If your balcony divider happens to fall on one of those zone boundaries, then it should not be opened.

car-spl-fire-zones.png

You're not wrong when you say that they totally could be making crap up as they go just to appease the passenger. But in addition to that, there are legitimate reasons why dividers cannot be opened.

Here's another pic showing some controls on the bridge used for water-tight doors and fire doors around the ship. You can again see the same pattern showing the fire zones.

e7_fire_and_water_controls.jpg

Well....all that being said, I will put my request in when I get on the ship and have them ask the Captain if he makes any exceptions depending on where our balcony is located in the fire zones. Reason being is that my disabled brother who has cerebral palsy will be in the cabin next to us with my other brother. I need to be able to mostly supervise and or assist him if he goes out on the balcony. My other brother has no clue how to deal with my disabled brother so it would be easier for me to easily assist him if needed. As you know those balconies on the Breakaway are way too small for all of us to be out there. I am not likely to allow him out there unless I can have access via our balcony to theirs. Perhaps they will allow it only when we are using it....I don't know, but it can't hurt to ask. Otherwise, we will have to limit him using the balcony only in our cabin on our balcony. I'd hate to have to do that but I will if we have to.