Non Refundable Deposit is now the default pricing

Andi Land

I am with you Kazu.

I have had to cancel 3 cruises that we had every intention to taking at the time of booking. We love to cruise. But when my doctor writes in her notes that I am not ready yet that changes everything. Who know that 27 months later I would still be sick?

Now we have FCC and I am afraid to even look!

Refundable pricing is still available - just not showing on the HAL website (that changes back when the "snap" special goes off, I think). You can get the refundable pricing calling HAL, PCC or TA. A pain, but it is availble.

Please note; the insurance says refund of applicable fees. You will not get refund of the non refundable deposit. This was told to us by our HAL representative we deal with.

Please read my post #147. The insurance underwriter disagrees with the HAL rep, and it is the insurance carrier that pays.

Unless all other mass market cruise lines follow suit this will have a negative impact on HAL.

Royal Caribbean: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2498304

Also, in a thread that has since been deleted (as far as I can tell) there have recently been a lot of complaints about how Carnival has made Early Saver (their non-refundable option) the default online, and made it rather obscure how to switch to a different (refundable) fare.

Royal Caribbean: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2498304

Also, in a thread that has since been deleted (as far as I can tell) there have recently been a lot of complaints about how Carnival has made Early Saver (their non-refundable option) the default online, and made it rather obscure how to switch to a different (refundable) fare.

Was this Carnival Cruise Lines or Carnival Corporation? If it is the latter, HAL is following it to a "T."

Please read my post #147. The insurance underwriter disagrees with the HAL rep, and it is the insurance carrier that pays.

I am just telling you what I see on Hal's webpage IN WRITING. Did the Insurance Underwriter send you anything in writing? In writing is always better than not having it in writing. I think the part that says "eligible amounts paid" is the key.When push comes to shove I am sure I know which way the insurance company will sway.

Easy Saver is Carnival Cruise Lines-specific.

A bit more detail about this.

attachment.php?attachmentid=408889&d=1500656273

If you check out the attached screen shot you see the online booking engine for Carnival. Note that I've been quoted a price and have already gone through five steps and am on Step 6. So far I haven't been given any choice between refundable and non-refundable. Now, here's your challenge: How do you select a refundable rate? So far, having gone through five steps, there hasn't been anything about refund-ability available.

I didn't find it that difficult, but many complained that the "More options" link is far too small (compared to the big, green button emblazoned with the rate you actually want). There are also complaints about it being so much more difficult to comparison shop, since to see the refundable rate you have to go through Steps 1-5 for each category individually. Finally, even after you select "More options" you still see nothing about refundable vs. non-refundable. You have to then click a Learn More link for each of the different prices and only then, in a disclaimer that is in a font size 2 pts smaller than anything else, it says "All cancellations that occur prior to the final payment due date will receive a non-refundable and non-transferable future cruise credit..." (for the non-refundable rate). Nowhere does it make clear that the other rate is refundable. (You have to reach that conclusion by way of realizing that the first rate is not refundable.)

Capture.JPG.7bf4f902b610ad0499be97ed267835e4.JPG

I am just telling you what I see on Hal's webpage IN WRITING. Did the Insurance Underwriter send you anything in writing? In writing is always better than not having it in writing. I think the part that says "eligible amounts paid" is the key.When push comes to shove I am sure I know which way the insurance company will sway.

Whatever you are comfortable with is how you should proceed. As a lawyer, I am comfortable that between my telephone call to the insurance company and the following provision of the policy itself (taken from the HAL website, BTW), that the insurance company is bound by its contractual terms.

The policy says: ". . . . and receive a refund equal to 90% (Platinum policy) of the prepaid, non-refundable portion of your cruise vacation."

That having been said, I wouldn't put down a non-refundable deposit in any event, and I fully understand your concerns. No reason to invite trouble.

If you check out the attached screen shot you see the online booking engine for Carnival. Note that I've been quoted a price and have already gone through five steps and am on Step 6. So far I haven't been given any choice between refundable and non-refundable. Now, here's your challenge: How do you select a refundable rate? So far, having gone through five steps, there hasn't been anything about refund-ability available.

I didn't find it that difficult, but many complained that the "More options" link is far too small (compared to the big, green button emblazoned with the rate you actually want). There are also complaints about it being so much more difficult to comparison shop, since to see the refundable rate you have to go through Steps 1-5 for each category individually. Finally, even after you select "More options" you still see nothing about refundable vs. non-refundable. You have to then click a Learn More link for each of the different prices and only then, in a disclaimer that is in a font size 2 pts smaller than anything else, it says "All cancellations that occur prior to the final payment due date will receive a non-refundable and non-transferable future cruise credit..." (for the non-refundable rate). Nowhere does it make clear that the other rate is refundable. (You have to reach that conclusion by way of realizing that the first rate is not refundable.)

WOW! Just WOW! How much more obscure can they make it??

Whatever you are comfortable with is how you should proceed. As a lawyer, I am comfortable that between my telephone call to the insurance company and the following provision of the policy itself (taken from the HAL website, BTW), that the insurance company is bound by its contractual terms.

The policy says: ". . . . and receive a refund equal to 90% (Platinum policy) of the prepaid, non-refundable portion of your cruise vacation."

That having been said, I wouldn't put down a non-refundable deposit in any event, and I fully understand your concerns. No reason to invite trouble.

(in red is mine)

I totally agree with this!

This is really a very disappointing maneuver on HAL's part. I understand the advantage to the cruise lines and the TA's of a non-refundable deposit, but the lack of visibility is not up to Signature of Excellence touted by HAL. Oh, yes, I forgot, Orlando has done away with that particular slogan.

Kudos to my wonderful TA! I was able to rebook the Grand Asia on the Rotterdam in a new Lanai at the SNAP Fare price and maintain my refundable deposit.

Wonderful! Congratulations. Were you working with a TA or PCC? BTW, did she indicate how well/poorly this cruise is selling? I guess we booked at the SNAP price but before they had a chance to make the deposit non-refundable. I have trying to see what the present, non-SNAP fare is, but haven't figured it out yet.

Kudos to my wonderful TA! I was able to rebook the Grand Asia on the Rotterdam in a new Lanai at the SNAP Fare price and maintain my refundable deposit.

Correction: Senior moment; AMSTERDAM 2018 Grand Asia.

Wonderful! Congratulations. Were you working with a TA or PCC? BTW, did she indicate how well/poorly this cruise is selling? I guess we booked at the SNAP price but before they had a chance to make the deposit non-refundable. I have trying to see what the present, non-SNAP fare is, but haven't figured it out yet.

I work with a one person office in a small southern town. She offers no perks or OBC besides superb, untiring customer service 24/7. However, she herself is a solo traveler; she has been in the business forever, and she has encyclopedic knowledge of cruise lines and ports.

Since the new Lanais do not yet even show up on the booking website, she knew who to speak with to get it done.

I never found a way to get the refundable fares without calling, either.

Correction: Senior moment; AMSTERDAM 2018 Grand Asia.

I would love to cruise Amsterdam after they are fitted with Lanais. Had one on Rotterdam for the med cruise last year and I liked it better than our balcony on the cruise to Hawaii / Tahiti. So, so convenient !!!

My TA did ask if anything was negotiable for the Grand Asia. She thought the answer, "Not at this point," for a cruise which has not yet been on the market a month boded well for price drops in the near future.

My TA did ask if anything was negotiable for the Grand Asia. She thought the answer, "Not at this point," for a cruise which has not yet been on the market a month boded well for price drops in the near future.

I was in a lanai on the Rotterdam on a cabin crawl (I know some people abhor the thought of a cabin crawl but they can be quite informative) and it was quite a nice cabin. I was impressed. since the Rotterdam is the sister ship (and the other flag ship) if it is the same, I think you will very pleased. :)

Refundable pricing is still available - just not showing on the HAL website (that changes back when the "snap" special goes off, I think). You can get the refundable pricing calling HAL, PCC or TA. A pain, but it is availble.

You can indeed presently get refundable or non-refundable fares. It is your choice. A few days ago, after considering all the facts and figures, we decided on a 22-day Mediterranean cruise in a Vista Suite on the Koningsdam for next September. Going with a non-refundable deposit ($300 FCC each we had previously purchased) saved us $2100 on the cruise fare. I have a feeling that when SNAP is over, Explore 4 will come into play and the cost will be exactly $2100 more than we currently paid or very close to it. We are happy with the deal and I will try to not look at fares again ;)

You can indeed presently get refundable or non-refundable fares. It is your choice. A few days ago, after considering all the facts and figures, we decided on a 22-day Mediterranean cruise in a Vista Suite on the Koningsdam for next September. Going with a non-refundable deposit ($300 FCC each we had previously purchased) saved us $2100 on the cruise fare. I have a feeling that when SNAP is over, Explore 4 will come into play and the cost will be exactly $2100 more than we currently paid or very close to it. We are happy with the deal and I will try to not look at fares again ;)

You should be happy - that is a good deal.

We did the same thing with no regrets.

I just bit the proverbial bullet and sent in the non refundable deposit. For me, it came down to A) the fare is really good, at $165/PP/Day for a verandah cabin and B) I know I'm going to take this cruise unless something crazy happens in my life. The fare probably won't get better, although I suppose it could. And the deposit is half the normal deposit. Basically, it comes down to how confident I am that the fares won't get better and whether I will actually take the cruise.

Long story short- I don't have an issue with this. It helps lock in some of the cost of the trip. Cost certainty is a good thing.

1. YOU GET MONEY BACK. Holland America Line refunds 80-90% of eligible amounts paid, regardless of your reason for canceling, as long as you cancel more than 24 hours prior to departure (right up to departure with the Platinum Plan).

(note: bolded in red is mine)

I believe the rep was correct. He said the non-refundable deposits were not part of the ins. (I don't know if this is new to HAL's website or not, but it is there it is) I think they can use the "eligible" part to not refund the original non-refundable deposit!

That is right according to my call with them; the NRD is not "eligible" to be refunded. Basically, your deposit is always surrendered when you cancel regardless of your level of protection. Your protection refers to the "eligible" portion.

that is a good deal. We only saw a $700 discount on our 28 day and considering P'dam has a promo right now, I am kind of hoping the price might decrease a bit after it goes off.

We didn't take it as it didn't seem like a "worth it" deal to me. Your deal is much more better. Well done :)

If the non-refundable deposit is smaller than the insurance to insure it, that could be a consideration. When you buy the CPP insurance, that's not refundable either. The standard level insurance only insures 80% of the cost of the cruise up to 24 hrs ahead of departure, plus a few extras.... usually that can all be covered by a credit card benefit, maybe even better, as we can get 100% cancellation coverage, for qualified reasons (not cancel for any reason) from our Costco Citi Bank Visa, which has no annual fee beyond the Costco membership.

Our booking done in May for the October departure of the Atlantic Explorer had an offer with a small non-refundable deposit ( think it was $300pp), but the cruise price was higher than the price we got using Mariner pricing, by over $1000 (once normalized for perks vs. no-perks). But with Mariner pricing we had to pay a large deposit of $1750 pp but it was refundable. Both proposals had the similar penalty dates: 90 days 60% forfeiture, 75 days 100% forfeiture. The refundable deposit rate had the deposit refundable only up to 120 days before departure. It was not a difficult decision due to the big pricing advantage, although i did not like having to pay such a big deposit, but that made the final payment fit on one credit card :).

The large deposit and the early penalty dates are due to this cruise being a long cruise (49 nights), not due to the pricing program.

I've always observed, Cruise Lines are money-making operations, os they will do what they have to to make their margins. I have no idea how much they might lose with refunding deposits, but I think locking people into the early fares, and not having any flexibility as costs might come down to fill the ship, might make them more revenue.

Airlines learned a long time ago - offer good prices in advance with no refunds or very expensive refunds, charge for changes, and overbook! Could be what we're coming to with cruising. m--