Just Off Marina. Will Answer Any Questions

Mylisa

Can you give some detailed information about how people dressed for dinners. We travel a ton but this will be our first cruise (Baltic Sept 2). We always do carryon luggage only and would like to do the same for this trip, but a little bit concerned that I will need to bring more clothes than normal in order to dress up a bit for dinner. I have read that it is "Country Club" casual, can I just wear black or white pants with nice sweater/blouse and nice flats? Are dark skinny jeans ok?

Search country club casual. You will find dozens of threads. No tank tops or cut offs. Otherwise it recently ranged from jackets with no tie and slacks to polo shirts and decent jeans. I didn't take a jacket.

Can you give some detailed information about how people dressed for dinners. We travel a ton but this will be our first cruise (Baltic Sept 2). We always do carryon luggage only and would like to do the same for this trip, but a little bit concerned that I will need to bring more clothes than normal in order to dress up a bit for dinner. I have read that it is "Country Club" casual, can I just wear black or white pants with nice sweater/blouse and nice flats? Are dark skinny jeans ok?

Yep black/white pants with sweater/blouse combo is totally fine for women, dark indigo wash or black skinny jeans are fine too with fancier open-toed sandals/heels/pumps, very popular look on our Med cruise and my wife also wore that look a few nights. Avoid sneakers and flip flops.

For men, slacks/chinos with polo or button down collared shirt is fine. If your husband wants to dress it up a bit a blazer or sport coat is about as dressed up as men get. I brought a nice navy blazer and don't regret it at all, wore it probably half the nights (La Reserve and Specialties). I'd say about 25-30% of men on any given night are wearing a sport coat with higher concentrations at the Specialties, La Reserve, and the fancier bars (Martinis and Grand Bar). The groups that gathered at the tables around Martinis always seemed to run 6-8 people deep with the men wearing jackets. Also, our table at La Reserve all 3 men wore Jackets, the other 2 tables were maybe 50/50.

Personally if came down to a choice between packing light or bringing a sport coat and dressing it up a bit, I would still bring the sport coat and either wear it on the plane, or pack fewer dress shirts and pay for the laundering/pressing service onboard.

But in the end you'll be comfortable with what you are used to wearing at a nice dinner out on the town, everyone was dressed nicely for the most part and was similar to how folks dressed when on a dinner date at a nice restaurant in town!

How does the Marina compare to the Riviera? Not physical layout, but atmosphere and passenger tone.

We sail, for the first time on the Marina, next Sunday from Southampton. It will be our first cruise on the Marina after four on the Riviera. I like the social style of the Riviera. Usually the Cruise director, all of the entertainment team, the Terrace manager and a lot of the Terrace staff know me by the end of the cruise along with many of the passengers.

A lot of long port days may make this less possible this cruise.

People, not food, cabin size or entertainment are the main reason we sail Oceania.

How does the Marina compare to the Riviera? Not physical layout, but atmosphere and passenger tone.

I would think it is very similar but it can also depend on where the ship is sailing & the passenger demographics

Some cruises are more lively than others

I would think it is very similar but it can also depend on where the ship is sailing & the passenger demographics

Some cruises are more lively than others

Agree, the ship operations are basically the same. But their itineraries can result in a different passenger mix... age, nationality, interests, etc.

• 1 month later...
Does the room service dinner menu carry all the items from the specialty restaurants? Just wondering if we can't get more than one reservation in each specialty restaurant, can you still enjoy the meals in your room?

Only if you're in a PH or higher.

Further to Orv's comment ...

People in suites (PH and above) can order from the specialty restaurants to dine in the room.

But the room service menu does NOT provide those courses. However, the room service menu is extensive enough for ME! I remember a time on an "R" ship when I'd been ill and finally felt up to eating. I had a lovely meal from the room service menu. It does have lots of choices, and I love their hamburgers and club sandwiches.

Obviously, those are for lunch and not dinner! But there are very nice dinner selections on the room service menu.

Yes, if you are in a suite with a butler it's a more elegant meal ... but I was just as happy when I ordered from the room service menu.

Hope this helps ...

• 1 month later...
Hi all. We are just back from the Baltic Cruise on Marina. A couple of things I think might be helpful if you are sailing on her. We were in concierge level cabin for the purpose of this thread. There are both U.S plugs and European plugs in the cabin. I had brought my own multi charger battery so that helped. There is one set of outlets U.S. at the desk (2 individual plugs) one useable plug at the tv and one in the bathroom if you take out the nite light. Apparently if you want another type of diet drink other than just Diet Coke, like Sprite Zero or diet gingerale in your refrigerator you have to request this well in advance of your sailing. They do have soy milk on board but would not provide coffeemate for me even when requested in advance. We were not able to add any extra dinner reservations for the specialty restaurants for more than once. We were on waiting lists but never able to get one. We even requested to add 2 people to an existing reservation and they couldn't do that. We were able to add the 4th reservation to the one restaurant that I did not book in advance. There is a self laundry on every cabin deck. The cost is $2 per machine. So $4 to wash and dry a load. The detergent is included and is located where the machines are. You purchase coins but be careful where you put them in on the machines as where you put them in on the washer and dryer are right next to each other. The dryer I used didn't quite dry everything. I used the tub shower all the time because the regular shower is way to small. Think put bar of soap on wall and rotate to clean. No way or room to shave legs unless you are a contortionist. The bath shower was perfect. There is a hidden drawer in the bathroom right next to where they hang the hand towels. Baristas closes at 6 no exceptions. Disembarkation in Southampton was a nightmare as British immigration insisted on face to face passport inspection on the ship in the Marina lounge. The line weeny out The door and into the reception area. It was mostly due to the fact that the passengers did not listen to be called down for their inspection and instead got in line out of turn. So it's important to not get in line until your color code and number or call. If you fly out of Heathrow be aware that they will not let you check your luggage until two hours before your flight. So if you get to the airport early you essentially have to sit around with your baggage. These are just a few of my thoughts. If you have any particular questions please ask them and I will be very glad to answer any of them that I can. All in all we had a wonderful cruise, great weather, great ports of call. We also met quite a few very nice people, one couple we even hope to stay in touch with. Moral of this story is to share tables whenever possible when dining. They were also quite a few older people on this cruise as well. One gentleman we dined with was in World War II. One more thing, one of my friends on board went to get her hair washed and blow dried. The hairstylist did a wonderful job however at the end when she went to pay he pressured her for an additional Gratuity in addition to the standard 18% standard add on as he said this did not include a tip for him. Even though she questioned him about the 18% add-on. She felt embarrassed and left an additional tip. So a wash and blow dry ended up being around $80. When she thought about it she went down to the reception desk and inquired about whether indeed the 18% included the gratuity and was told it did. She explained what happened and they told her to take it up with spa Canyon Ranch as they had nothing to do with them. She told them that she was a passenger on their ship and that they should advocate for her but they refused to do so. She called the manager at the salon and was told that the 18% plus any additional gratuity is all the salary that the stylist get. So please be aware when using the spa Canyon Ranch of these concerns. Wow this turned out to be a lot longer than I thought it was going to be so I'll and here.

Thanks. Helpful post.