Just Off Marina. Will Answer Any Questions

Mylisa

Are cocktails still around 10USD plus 18% tip?

Liquor drink prices start at $9, up to about $12.50 for the basics. Top shelf very special selections top out at $27.50.

Cocktails are $10 - $11.25

Specialty coffees $9

Wines by the glass $10 -12, but the Montaudon burt champagne, $16.50

Hi, if it's not an imposition, would you post pix of the new by the glass list? We're debating whether or not to buy a package and knowing the current btg choices will help us decide. Thank you!

Sorry, not knowledgeable in posting photos, Don't do social media stuff.

But wine by the glass list has:

3 sparkling wines: a prosecco brut, Montaudon brut Reins($16.50), house.

11 whites....covering most popular varietals and one not as popular, Cline Viognier.

2 blush or rose'.

11 reds. The most popular varietals from CA, Italy,Spain, Australia, Argentina, and the unusual Carmenere from Chile. No reds from France!

Maybe there is someone onboard now that might be able to take a photo of the bar menu & post it here

It would be nice to see what has changed

Surprised there is no French red wines

Liquor drink prices start at $9, up to about $12.50 for the basics. Top shelf very special selections top out at $27.50.

Cocktails are $10 - $11.25

Specialty coffees $9

Wines by the glass $10 -12, but the Montaudon burt champagne, $16.50

That looks about right but I believe some cocktails were $14-15, although I didn't really look too closely since I was on the Premium Bev Package.

Also, keep in mind, the bartenders unless familiar with you or very busy, tend to actually measure out drinks using a 1.5oz jigger....which is generally less than what you will see in a typical American bar pour (2 oz main spirit, 1 oz mixer/aperitif).

Asking for a double will literally cost you double the price, and double the tip. Even custom cocktails with multiple spirits may count as 2-3 drinks in price.

With the Premium Bev Package, doubles are standard (they ask you, double?), the jigger goes away, and you're enjoying yourself to the tune of 5-6 cocktails, Scotch, Cognac, whatever....that are probably closer to 10 drinks in price since they are always poured as doubles with a free hand once the bartenders know your name and that you're on the BIB.

One of the crowning moments of my Med cruise was seeing no additional gratuity from my bar tab, and keep in mind, I got flagged for elevated ACL (liver enzhymes) due to increased alcohol consumption during a pre-op physical upon return to the US! Even my wife remarked at how great of a deal it was!!!!

"We missed all the little extra touches that Silver Sea offers."

With the VERY greatest of respect for you, Mylisa, AND thanking you for taking the time to write this specifics-oriented report, I am wondering if you could elaborate a little on your Silversea comment. I am not trying t pick a fight but simply wondering what those things might be.

"We missed all the little extra touches that Silver Sea offers."

With the VERY greatest of respect for you, Mylisa, AND thanking you for taking the time to write this specifics-oriented report, I am wondering if you could elaborate a little on your Silversea comment. I am not trying t pick a fight but simply wondering what those things might be.

I'm wondering how fair it is to compare Silversea (a luxury cruise line) and Oceania (a premium plus cruise line). We have sailed on both and there is no comparison.

I terms of the Premium Alcohol Package, keep in mind that the pours are measured. Many drinks (especially martinis) are thimble size. In order to get an alcoholic beverage equal to what is served in most restaurants and lounges in the U.S., you need to order a double. We found the Prestige Alcohol Package worth every penny - even on the days where we didn't drink quite enough to warrant it!

I'm wondering how fair it is to compare Silversea (a luxury cruise line) and Oceania (a premium plus cruise line). We have sailed on both and there is no comparison.

I terms of the Premium Alcohol Package, keep in mind that the pours are measured. Many drinks (especially martinis) are thimble size. In order to get an alcoholic beverage equal to what is served in most restaurants and lounges in the U.S., you need to order a double. We found the Prestige Alcohol Package worth every penny - even on the days where we didn't drink quite enough to warrant it!

As discussed here previously, I consider the labels of "luxury" and "premium plus" as rather arbitrary. If by luxury you mean all inclusive then you may be right. I don't define luxury that way.

And when you say that there is it is unfair to compare Silversea and Oceania you seem to be strictly discusssing comparison of alcohol. Again, in that respect you are probably correct - one can drink as much as one wants (and probably better brands) on Silversea. If that is what one is looking for in luxury, then indeed Silversea is a better choice. I don't drink so that comparison doesn't work for me. What is more important to me is great food (Oceania wins for ME), no formal nights (O wins again) and more compatible clientele for ME (O wins again). Silversea does have more attentive and personalized care as their ships are much smaller - not that important for me as Oceania's service is attentive enough for me.

We have cruised on Silversea four times for itinerary (like to Syria when it was still a place to visit) but would never choose Silversea (a luxury line) over Oceania (a premium plus line) for the same itinerary.

As always, YMMV.

Edited by Paulchili

Is it customary to tip besides the customary 18% service charge they automatically add to everything? And if so, do you tip at the end of the cruise?

It is a personal choice

We do give a bit extra to the housekeeping team at the end of the cruise they do go above & beyond to make our cruise more enjoyable

We do tip room service at the time of delivery when we have room service

JMO

We were on the Marina 2 yrs ago and had the wine pkg for meals only. We could have wine at any venue that was serving meals. That means you you can have lunch in the main dining room and still have wine at the buffet and at the grill. The only time is when outdoor grill closes and dinner has not begun. We could also have room wine as long as some form of dining was open. I don't know if the room service is still valid.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sky rose;

Referring to the lack of red French. Our recent cruise had it by the glass. It was a 20 day tour and the wine list nearly turned over completely. Very popular wines poured out and were replaced with new ones. Less liked wines just hung around. The wine menu any one shows you is a snapshot. Could be vastly different within a few days.

As to another poster's comment. O was cracking down on gaming the system. All things are in the computer. If you have lunch in the GDR , along with wine, don't expect to be a halfling and have a second lunch in the Terrace with more wine on the Program. Likewise, don't expect to be able to drink beer all afternoon at Waves while having a four hour lunch. It's all in the computer, they know what you've had and where you have it!

Just as a follow up to the above. We were on a twenty (20) day cruise. When we got on the ship (Day 1) some of the listed were non available. It was probably at least Day 4 before the Head Sommelier opted to print a new wine list that matched available wines. By Day 15, 3-4 of those wines were gone with new substitutes, not necessarily of the same variety. A new wine list was not published for the duration of our cruise, have no way of knowing when the next cruise got one. Actual Wine list is like a box of chocolates!

Thank you for your informative review. Did you enjoy the ambiance on the ship?

I googled Canyon Ranch Spa -

Q&A

18% gratuity is added to your service

No additional tip is required or expected.

Surely Canyon Ranch Spa pay their staff.

Did you report the matter to Canyon Ranch, as seems they are independent operators?

I am sorry the OP has decided to avoid my question about those "touches" which were missed. As to not being able to compare two cruise line experiences because they have been very arbitrarily labeled at some "level," the definition of which has not been agreed upon, is, IMO, inaccurate. Of course you can compare them and of course it is "acceptable" to do so.

Can you give some detailed information about how people dressed for dinners. We travel a ton but this will be our first cruise (Baltic Sept 2). We always do carryon luggage only and would like to do the same for this trip, but a little bit concerned that I will need to bring more clothes than normal in order to dress up a bit for dinner. I have read that it is "Country Club" casual, can I just wear black or white pants with nice sweater/blouse and nice flats? Are dark skinny jeans ok?

Can you give some detailed information about how people dressed for dinners. We travel a ton but this will be our first cruise (Baltic Sept 2). We always do carryon luggage only and would like to do the same for this trip, but a little bit concerned that I will need to bring more clothes than normal in order to dress up a bit for dinner. I have read that it is "Country Club" casual, can I just wear black or white pants with nice sweater/blouse and nice flats? Are dark skinny jeans ok?

The pants with sweater or blouse will be fine. No jeans in the MDR or specialty restaurants for dinner but fine for Terrace and of course for touring during the day. We are also on the September 2 Baltic cruise [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums