Southampton Hotels Advice Please

geordielass2

Sorry Geordielass2 sorry I can't help with your hotel search but why not try our rollcall http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?p=53634111#post53634111 I believe there are a couple on their who are local to southampton.

May be wel'll see you on board.

Only 71 days till we sail :)

Thank you Groryjm I'll have a look at that

As will we. It's many years since we stayed there but it's about as close to the port as you can get. We've also stayed at the West Quay Premier Inn pre-cruise and walked from there to the ship.

Geordielass, you will probably see from my screen name that I am also one.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi Sandancer it s a long time since I've lived in the NE. Thank you for your advice I'll start checking out prices, my husband needs to bring an electric wheelchair so we booked parking at the port so want somewhere where the parking for the 1 night is not to expensive.

If you're parking at the port you don't really need to be in Southampton the night before. You could stay outside of the city centre where parking for the night of your stay is free. We spend a lot of time in Portsmouth and there are a couple of Premier Inns at Port Solent which are around half an hour from the port just down the M27. If you want to be closer then the Holiday Inn Express Southampton would be a good choice. Easy drive into the port to park up in the long term car park.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We've stayed at the Novotel a couple of times, rooms are OK, breakfast is good. On our last trip we stayed in Winchester, there isn't a lot to do in Southampton. If you are just looking for a room and somewhere to park then the Novotel is good.

Does anyone know if is it feasible to walk with a smallish case from The Novotel to the terminal for Celebrity ships. I believe they use City Cruise Terminal Berth 101 going through dock gate 10.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Does anyone know if is it feasible to walk with a smallish case from The Novotel to the terminal for Celebrity ships. I believe they use City Cruise Terminal Berth 101 going through dock gate 10.

It all depends how fit you are!

You will see the ship, but we haven't walked as we have always driven, as our car has been booked into the car park next to the pier and flour mill.

It doesn't look too far using google maps, but seriously, why not just get a cab from the hotel and relax?

The Hilton at Aegas Bowl is very nice, I've stayed there a couple of times and never paid more than £100 a night. Parking is easily available and free. :)

We've stayed there. A lovely hotel with lots of restaurants around and about a 20 min drive to the terminals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes it's walkable through dock gate 10. About 10 minutes max.

Yes it's walkable through dock gate 10. About 10 minutes max.

I think gate 10 may be closed during the period of the boat show (mid September). Worth checking out if this is the time slot you are looking at....

I think gate 10 may be closed during the period of the boat show (mid September). Worth checking out if this is the time slot you are looking at....

Thanks for the heads up, that starts the day before we disembark. Last time we cruised when the boat show was on gate 8 was closed and everyone had to use gate 10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the heads up, that starts the day before we disembark. Last time we cruised when the boat show was on gate 8 was closed and everyone had to use gate 10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We were told this by the staff at the Holiday Inn when we queried booking, I think we must be getting on as you are getting off....Just looked up on the boat show website, it does not say any gates are closed. However, we are expecting heavy traffic and lots of pedestrians crossing....We usually board early so I think we will be leaving our little New Forest retreat early that morning!

Please send a few comments through during your cruise, I will be looking for recent Eclipse updates!

We were told this by the staff at the Holiday Inn when we queried booking, I think we must be getting on as you are getting off....Just looked up on the boat show website, it does not say any gates are closed. However, we are expecting heavy traffic and lots of pedestrians crossing....We usually board early so I think we will be leaving our little New Forest retreat early that morning!

Please send a few comments through during your cruise, I will be looking for recent Eclipse updates!

Alas our Sep cruise is Royal but we were on Eclipse this June.....as good as ever!

According to ABP gate no 8 closes this month!

Please be advised that Dock Gate 8 is closed when the Southampton Boat Show is in operation in August & September every year - please use either Dock Gate 10 or 20 during this period