Anthem of the Seas in March...Too Cold??

Please share your experience and thoughts on the weather/temperature,!sailing on the Anthem in March. I will be travelling with kids and I'm a little nervous about whether they will be able to swim, etc. due to the temps at that time of year. Would love to hear your experience if you have sailed from Cape Liberty at that time of year. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Please share your experience and thoughts on the weather/temperature,!sailing on the Anthem in March. I will be travelling with kids and I'm a little nervous about whether they will be able to swim, etc. due to the temps at that time of year. Would love to hear your experience if you have sailed from Cape Liberty at that time of year. Thanks!

We sailed on Anthem in February and it was very cold outside, 20 degrees up to 40 at sailing. We were outside for sailaway and did Northstar but many were inside. There is an indoor family pool that was open the whole time and also the Solarium, that is for 16 and up. Make sure you use the forward elevators to and from the pool until it warms up outside, otherwise, it is a very cold walk outside.

The Seaplex is completely indoors so there is basketball, bumper cars, video games, ping pong, foosball and lots of other stuff.

Lots to keep the kids busy inside until you get to warmer weather.

Just curious as to how warm the Solarium and indoor pool area are during the winter months. I'd love to do a winter cruise out of Cape Liberty but I like my pool time on sea days but don't want to freeze.

This past March it was a super-cold week (snowed a day or two before departure). The indoor pool and solarium areas were quite warm (and, for me to say that, they must have been since I wear a sweater in August in NY). I popped into the Solarium as well here and there and it was nice in there too. I was pleasantly surprised at the indoor areas.

Just curious as to how warm the Solarium and indoor pool area are during the winter months. I'd love to do a winter cruise out of Cape Liberty but I like my pool time on sea days but don't want to freeze.

For our late November 2016 cruise it was very comfortable to swim, relax, eat, etc. in the indoor pool area and Solarium, areas where we spent all our time. Sail away was very cold outside so they allowed children in the Solarium, crowded but ok. No kids the rest of the week in Solarium. This was Thanksgiving week so lots of kids onboard.

May 2016 was unbearably hot in both the Solarium and indoor pool.

Have fun!

We have found it depends on if it's sunny or cloudy.

Generally if it's sunny there are more areas that are warm or even hot then if it's cloudy. Not only does the Anthem have indoor areas there are outside areas that have good wind blocking so on a sunny day there is a lot more comfortable areas to use but there will be more people using the upper decks.

We sailed out of Bayonne a few years ago, beginning of March, warm the day we sailed, in the 50's. Sailed in April & May and it was cooler, you just never know! But, with glass covered pools, all is good! Muster is inside also.

Marg

i've researched the anthem extensively before booking and out of NYC determined it was a better ship than the breakaway for cold weather. then i booked it

i'm assuming you booked in march because of kids spring break?

Why would indoor pools be anything but warm? I'm confused. They are indoor pool areas heated to a comfortable temperature for people to swim and be in bathingsuits.

The indoor family pool has automatic doors that lead outside to the pool deck which is extremely cold in the middle of winter. Doors open, cold air comes in, making for a chilled environment at times.

Why would indoor pools be anything but warm? I'm confused. They are indoor pool areas heated to a comfortable temperature for people to swim and be in bathingsuits.

Well they certainly aren't air conditioned as both indoor pool areas were extremely hot on Anthem in July. I've never sailed from a cold weather port with indoor pool areas in the winter so I wanted know how warm they are. That's why I asked.

Well they certainly aren't air conditioned as both indoor pool areas were extremely hot on Anthem in July. I've never sailed from a cold weather port with indoor pool areas in the winter so I wanted know how warm they are. That's why I asked.

I know they try to close off doors to the outside to try to keep the cold air and wind out, but they have to have some available. The outer doors to the Seaplex are locked from the outside and there are signs on the inside saying to go to the entrance from the elevator lobby but harder to do this from the indoor pool. There was also an outer door from the pool deck, near the bathrooms, that lead to the WJ that they had closed off. The door that went into the bathroom that connected to the outer deck was still open, so you can go into the bathroom from outside and then out the other door to the WJ. There were men actually cutting through the ladies room to the WJ on our February sailing.

I know on our sailing, the automatic doors from the indoor family pool to the pool deck were not locked. We actually took that cold path one morning from the WJ to the Solarium, passing through the family pool area. Cold, but doable. Johnny Rockets was empty since it is accessed from outside and has seats outside, though some are under cover, still cold until you reach warmer waters.

Just use the forward elevators and you will be able to walk out of the elevator lobby to the family pool area or the Solarium. If you need a morning wake up, use the aft elevators and walk fast.:D

I know they try to close off doors to the outside to try to keep the cold air and wind out, but they have to have some available. The outer doors to the Seaplex are locked from the outside and there are signs on the inside saying to go to the entrance from the elevator lobby but harder to do this from the indoor pool. There was also an outer door from the pool deck, near the bathrooms, that lead to the WJ that they had closed off. The door that went into the bathroom that connected to the outer deck was still open, so you can go into the bathroom from outside and then out the other door to the WJ. There were men actually cutting through the ladies room to the WJ on our February sailing.

I know on our sailing, the automatic doors from the indoor family pool to the pool deck were not locked. We actually took that cold path one morning from the WJ to the Solarium, passing through the family pool area. Cold, but doable. Johnny Rockets was empty since it is accessed from outside and has seats outside, though some are under cover, still cold until you reach warmer waters.

Just use the forward elevators and you will be able to walk out of the elevator lobby to the family pool area or the Solarium. If you need a morning wake up, use the aft elevators and walk fast.:D

Thanks for this info, very helpful.