Pre-pay tips

JOWgrandma

Strange, but when I furnish the info to support my post, it disappears. I have tried to furnish the post info you couldn't find, and will try again. Post 146. 140pm 8/21 by the officer you named,

If

"Post 146 140pm 8/21" on what thread? What forum? Not this one.

EDIT: OK, found it. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=53856136&postcount=146

All it says is "Having sat in on my share of onboard revenue meetings (every week), I can tell you that regardless of what you decide to call it, the DSC is a reportable onboard revenue stream."

How does that support your claims?

It only says it's reportable revenue stream. Not that it's the entire wage.

Edited by Shmoo here

NCL's DSC is different. They even say so:

Unlike most other ships in the cruise industry, there is no required or recommended tipping on our ships for service that is generally rendered to all Guests. While you should not feel obligated to offer a gratuity, all of our staff are encouraged to “go the extra mile,” so they are permitted to accept cash gratuities for exceptional or outstanding service if you care to offer them.
The tax law is clear: If the passenger cannot adjust or remove the gratuity, then the money must be reported as revenue. No matter who the money eventually goes to, if the amount is not third-party discretionary, then it is income to the cruise line.

"Post 146 140pm 8/21" on what thread? What forum? Not this one.

EDIT: OK, found it. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=53856136&postcount=146

All it says is "Having sat in on my share of onboard revenue meetings (every week), I can tell you that regardless of what you decide to call it, the DSC is a reportable onboard revenue stream."

How does that support your claims?

It only says it's reportable revenue stream. Not that it's the entire wage.

You will understand if you read the challenge to my post in which I said an officer posted the DSC was a reportable revenue stream.

I hope this helps.

NCL's DSC is different. They even say so:The tax law is clear: If the passenger cannot adjust or remove the gratuity, then the money must be reported as revenue. No matter who the money eventually goes to, if the amount is not third-party discretionary, then it is income to the cruise line.
Thanks for this information. I think most know that it has to be reported, if they take it in and no way does that mean that it doesn't all go to the crew in the way of salary and incentive programs

NCL's DSC is different. They even say so:The tax law is clear: If the passenger cannot adjust or remove the gratuity, then the money must be reported as revenue. No matter who the money eventually goes to, if the amount is not third-party discretionary, then it is income to the cruise line.

This is spot on.

The thing to remember is that NCL's DSC is still removable. The line simply made the process a lot more cumbersome -- presumably because, when it was very easy, too many took advantage of the option.

The fact that it remains "third party discretionary" insulates NCL from any need to treat it as income - and lets it pass directly to the staff, whose home country laws may let them receive favorable treatment vis a vis salary income.

I have responded to questions with facts, and am now seeing attempted Insults and double talk.

Since NCL agrees that the DSC is distributed at management's discretion, and they leave guests the option to remove it, it seems prudent for guests to remove the DSC and tip in cash at the guests dis retion. That assures the guest that their money goes to those,who provideo service to them. If the servers need to tip out, it is at their discretion.

I have responded to questions with facts, and am now seeing attempted Insults and double talk.

Since NCL agrees that the DSC is distributed at management's discretion, and they leave guests the option to remove it, it seems prudent for guests to remove the DSC and tip in cash at the guests dis retion. That assures the guest that their money goes to those,who provideo service to them. If the servers need to tip out, it is at their discretion.

As a fellow poster on CC, I ask you to give it up- you are only embarrassing yourself with material like this.

• 5 months later...

interestingly, if you want to prepay tips on carnival thru the web site you cannot adjust the overall amount. In other words if you adjust due to having kids in the room you can only prepay the standard tip rate x amount of people in the cabin or do zero. I guess i will continue to remove tips at the counter and tip with cash and a nice note.

interestingly, if you want to prepay tips on carnival thru the web site you cannot adjust the overall amount. In other words if you adjust due to having kids in the room you can only prepay the standard tip rate x amount of people in the cabin or do zero. I guess i will continue to remove tips at the counter and tip with cash and a nice note.

I’m sure the staff will appreciate the “nice note” as much as they would the suggested amount of tip.

That is very nice of you to adjust your gratuities higher because have kids in the room.

Oh, you mean adjust them DOWN! :evilsmile:

Strange, but when I furnish the info to support my post, it disappears. I have tried to furnish the post info you couldn't find, and will try again. Post 146. 140pm 8/21 by the officer you named,

If

You have to admire someone who engages in a one man crusade to get people near the top of the global heap to screw over people much nearer the bottom of the global heap.

And by admire, I don't really mean admire.

You have to admire someone who engages in a one man crusade to get people near the top of the global heap to screw over people much nearer the bottom of the global heap. And by admire, I don't really mean admire.
There seems to be a lot of that going around. This whole thing with tipping less for children is surprising to me. I've had occasion to see into the staterooms of friends and others. The level of work for the stateroom attendant seemed, in practically every case, seemed to be correlated with the number of different sleeping surfaces utilized, with singles and couples sleeping together on the low end of the scale and going up from there. The worst always seem to be the ones where three different sleep surfaces were employed, presumably worse not just because there are more sleeping surfaces to address, nor because more people are contributing to the work that needs to be done, but also because that higher number of sleeping surfaces makes the room more cramped, thereby making even the most lightly treading passengers have more trouble treading lightly. I can only conclude that this inclination toward "screwing over" the stateroom attendant by adjusting gratuities down because some of the passengers in the room are children is really just a rationalization for being unjust to the stateroom attendants, in the interest of the passenger's personal financial benefit.