11:15am flight out of SYD

My two cents

We did the same a few years back. But because we booked so far in advance the airlines changed the flights. And we took advantage of the flight change to have them make a Much later flight for us. There was traffic getting to the airport so I am not sure what time we ultimately arrived. We had hours to kill. The airport in Sydney has a beautiful American Express lounge and somehow our gold cards were good for entrance. We used that time to relax and catch up on emails, etc.

I did not catch how far in advance you booked, but if the airline makes a schedule change you might be able to work it to your advantage.

Be patient... some of those older aussies can be a "bit" "biddy"

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for all the replies. A bit more details we are young in our late 40s and will walk off with one bag each which we've done for years. Luggage in hand and literally walk off this ship as soon as they open the door. I have done this in several countries with Royal with 5,000 passengers and we are first in line waiting to walk off. I am not taking food with me or fruit I have never done that nor would I take the risk of doing this. some of you are betting I won't make it but remember I am from Vegas and the house always wins. LOL

Sounds like it's gonna turn out right for u regardless. Please let us know how it turns out. It's a fabulous trip enjoy. We fell in love with Sydney (arrived nye and spent a few days in Sydney pre-cruise ).

Then we fell in love with each port as our cruise went to NZ

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for all the replies. A bit more details we are young in our late 40s and will walk off with one bag each which we've done for years. Luggage in hand and literally walk off this ship as soon as they open the door. I have done this in several countries with Royal with 5,000 passengers and we are first in line waiting to walk off. I am not taking food with me or fruit I have never done that nor would I take the risk of doing this. some of you are betting I won't make it but remember I am from Vegas and the house always wins. LOL

I am sure if everything goes to plan, you will make it with time to spare. It is more of an issue that things don't always go to plan.:)

BTW, you may be from Vegas where the house always wins but in this case you are not the house. :p

Well I am still under 40 and do a 5km run in 20 minutes 5 days a week. My best time for a 1km run is around the 3 minute mark. I often self disembark and have no issues carrying a suitcase over my shoulders up or down stairs. I often walk at paces much faster than the average person. That being said even with my fast pace and routine of not wasting time, I personally would not be booking a flight that early. Not worth the stress, hassle, inconvenience. I base that on my knowledge of Sydney and my past travel experience. I am all for not wasting time, but to me that schedule is just pushing it beyond the boundaries of what I would risk.

Good luck, you are brave man, you need a 3 hour window at Sydney Airport with all the security checks.:halo: Interested to see how it pans out. Getting to Sydney Airport in morning traffic can be a nightmare.

Good luck, you are brave man, you need a 3 hour window at Sydney Airport with all the security checks.:halo: Interested to see how it pans out. Getting to Sydney Airport in morning traffic can be a nightmare.

Les, they are arriving in Sydney on a Sunday morning when there is likely to be very little traffic. Check in is a minimum of two hours before the flight and security checking is after check-in. I still believe that with self-disembarkation and these factors, they are likely to be in time for the flight.

Les, they are arriving in Sydney on a Sunday morning when there is likely to be very little traffic. Check in is a minimum of two hours before the flight and security checking is after check-in. I still believe that with self-disembarkation and these factors, they are likely to be in time for the flight.

Noted, no worries, Sunday morning to the airport is generally ok.:halo:

That is the problem right there in your post "security" It is not just their flight going through security, it is every single international flight departing from that terminal.

Heaven forbid there is another terror related incident like in the past month where security checks increase. That is the factor that I would not take a chance at all with.

That is the problem right there in your post "security" It is not just their flight going through security, it is every single international flight departing from that terminal.

I don't recall any terminal where only one flight goes through security.

Every terminal I've seen every flight goes through security. So it would be something the OP would be familiar with. In fact coming from the US, their security processes are even lengthier than ours, so I don't see that as anything exceptional.

Heaven forbid there is another terror related incident like in the past month where security checks increase. That is the factor that I would not take a chance at all with.

In our several flights this year there have not been any delays. On the three international ones we went through security and immigration in probably ten minutes total. The latest automated system with immigration is faster than the old one where everyone fronted up to the desk to talk individually to an officer. On a Sydney-Brisbane flight a couple of days after the latest terror-related incident, we walked straight up to security with no-one waiting ahead of us.

Every terminal I've seen every flight goes through security. So it would be something the OP would be familiar with. In fact coming from the US, their security processes are even lengthier than ours, so I don't see that as anything exceptional.

The time-sensitive factor for the OP's flight will be checking in, not going through security and immigration that are after check-in. These are done in the two hour (minimum) time after check-in. Even if they take an hour instead of the more likely 15 minutes, they have plenty of time.

With our security checks, passengers do not have to take off their shoes and belts or stand in an X-ray box. :D

If something happens on the day then even arriving 5 hours early would not work.

Haven't you ever heard of the domestic and international terminal?

For all flights at domestic and international there is one security screening area that covers all flights checking into the terminal.

I cannot see what is so hard to understand about all flights having to go through security?

Haven't you ever heard of the domestic and international terminal?

For all flights at domestic and international there is one security screening area that covers all flights checking into the terminal.

I cannot see what is so hard to understand about all flights having to go through security?

I am sorry to say, but your above comments sound unnecessarily argumentative. In an earlier post you informed us that the problem was that all flights leaving from that terminal would have to go through security. We all know that. Your comment about domestic and international terminals is unnecessary when the OP is going on an international flight. As you would also be aware, the major difference in Australia between security for domestic and international flights is that for international there are restrictions on liquids.

The OP has confirmed my earlier comment that they have to check in at least 2 hours (not 3 hours) prior to the scheduled departure. I believe that with self-disembarkation and Sunday traffic, they can make that deadline with time to spare. After that, they have plenty of time to go through security and immigration (probably 15 minutes unless there is some major emergency).

Those dogs will sniff out a bag that had a banana in it a week prior. Luckily a quick search would show that the person was innocent of smuggling food in, but it does send a message that the dogs are very good at detection on contraband.

That exact scenario happened to me in Auckland a couple of years ago. Had my work backpack which I'd had a banana in a week earlier. Their sense of smell is amazing.

My concern would be "what if the ship is delayed and doesn't dock at 6 am, as scheduled?. I know it is rare, but it does happen.

If ship is on time, I agree shouldn't be any problems.

Has anyone flown international on a Sunday morning recently? If so, how long did it take to go through security/immigration?

I am sorry to say, but your above comments sound unnecessarily argumentative. In an earlier post you informed us that the problem was that all flights leaving from that terminal would have to go through security. We all know that. Your comment about domestic and international terminals is unnecessary when the OP is going on an international flight. As you would also be aware, the major difference in Australia between security for domestic and international flights is that for international there are restrictions on liquids.

Its not argumentative, I cannot help if someone fails to comprehend that security at an airport is like a choke point for all passengers.

I am 100% certain that they will miss their flight that I would bet money on it. That is how certain I am.

Its not argumentative, I cannot help if someone fails to comprehend that security at an airport is like a choke point for all passengers.

I am 100% certain that they will miss their flight that I would bet money on it. That is how certain I am.

I will have 50 cents each way bet then.:p

We all comprehend that all passengers have to go through security. However, in my several flights in the last 12 months there has been no delay, or at most five minutes' wait to go through security then straight through immigration for each of our international flights. From your comments, are you indicating that you have been delayed at the airport security check recently?