11:15am flight out of SYD

I cannot see what is so hard to understand about all flights having to go through security?

Nothing's so hard - that's what I said. _All_ flights going through security is normal.

Your post implied it was exceptional - it aint.

Nothing's so hard - that's what I said. _All_ flights going through security is normal.

Your post implied it was exceptional - it aint.

Well it depends on how many flights are departing Sydney International that day that will tell you how many passengers to roughly expect at the airport. There could be some quite long queues to go through security. Sunday may mean less staff too due to penalty rates if they still pay them there.

Well it depends on how many flights are departing Sydney International that day that will tell you how many passengers to roughly expect at the airport. There could be some quite long queues to go through security. Sunday may mean less staff too due to penalty rates if they still pay them there.

I haven't encountered long queues in the last year, but even if there is a very long queue (say half an hour delay) it would not really matter because they would already be checked in. This has to be done at least 2 hours prior to departure. With all due respect, you seem to be missing this point. :)

An overseas flight I have booked for later in the year leaves from the Sydney International terminal (after a domestic flight from Brisbane). Qantas specified flights with 90 minutes between arrival at the domestic terminal and departure from the international. Obviously I have to take the shuttle from the domestic terminal to the international. Qantas apparently believes that I can get through the international terminal after arriving there about an hour before departure. Yes - I think that it cutting it too fine. I have booked an earlier domestic flight giving me two and a half hours.

I haven't encountered long queues in the last year, but even if there is a very long queue (say half an hour delay) it would not really matter because they would already be checked in. This has to be done at least 2 hours prior to departure. With all due respect, you seem to be missing this point. :)

An overseas flight I have booked for later in the year leaves from the Sydney International terminal (after a domestic flight from Brisbane). Qantas specified flights with 90 minutes between arrival at the domestic terminal and departure from the international. Obviously I have to take the shuttle from the domestic terminal to the international. Qantas apparently believes that I can get through the international terminal after arriving there about an hour before departure. Yes - I think that it cutting it too fine. I have booked an earlier domestic flight giving me two and a half hours.

As I said in page one on my first reply -

Lastly I certainly hope you are not put in the embarrassing position of begging others at the airport to let you push in and check in ahead of them, push in at immigration and push in at security. That would be rather embarrassing to have to ask other passengers to make way for you because you booked your timing too close to make the schedule.

I personally would never lower myself to such a level of inconsiderate behaviour and public shame by doing the above when it is sensible to not book the flight they booked. If they want to do the "walk of shame" and take the risk then that is their choice.

As we all know there are too many factors and variables to consider their chances of making the flight on time.

We have done the early flight out of Sydney to New Zealand a couple of times. We are at breakfast around 5.00 am and are queuing up around 6.00 am so that we can be amongst the first off. For Trans Tasman flights 90 minutes are required pre checkin. We have always managed to get a 7.00 am train from Circular Quay which goes direct to the International airport in 20 minutes. Even early in the morning the train is quicker and cheaper than a taxi. Even with a USA checkin an 11.15 flight is achievable. It means a bit of planning and no mucking around but is easily done

Sometimes I get a bit anxious with the transfers that they make you do at various airports. Singapore is a good case in point, they sometimes give you 40 minutes and you need to change terminals and then get through the security at the next gate. At least you don't have to worry about the bags.

As I said in page one on my first reply -

I personally would never lower myself to such a level of inconsiderate behaviour and public shame by doing the above when it is sensible to not book the flight they booked. If they want to do the "walk of shame" and take the risk then that is their choice.

As we all know there are too many factors and variables to consider their chances of making the flight on time.

I wouldn't want to cut it that fine either but everyone has a different threshold for risk and anxiety/stress for getting to a flight on time.

I wouldn't want to cut it that fine either but everyone has a different threshold for risk and anxiety/stress for getting to a flight on time.

That we can agree on. I tend to keep my risk factors low and adjust my timing to compensate for delays. I find I am much happier that way and less likely to get stressed out and annoyed over trivial things. If a delay happens to me I can just happily wait through it as I have planned for such things.

Our January cruise was slow getting into Sydney due to bad weather, missed the morning slot and ended up docking at 11.30am. There were people pacing the decks with the stress of missing their flights and calling travel agents the minute we got back into a mobile phone reception area. Not a pleasant end to a holiday. I hope this doesn't happen to you OP.

Our January cruise was slow getting into Sydney due to bad weather, missed the morning slot and ended up docking at 11.30am. There were people pacing the decks with the stress of missing their flights and calling travel agents the minute we got back into a mobile phone reception area. Not a pleasant end to a holiday. I hope this doesn't happen to you OP.

It can happen but it is very unusual. Then there are the rare occasions that a ship is delayed until the next day. What about those delayed in the US by Hurricane Harvey.

On our 30 or so cruises that ended in Sydney, we have been late once, arriving at 3.30. Virtually everyone flying out that day would have missed their flight. We did, but Qantas just put us on the next available flight.:)

It can happen but it is very unusual. Then there are the rare occasions that a ship is delayed until the next day. What about those delayed in the US by Hurricane Harvey.

On our 30 or so cruises that ended in Sydney, we have been late once, arriving at 3.30. Virtually everyone flying out that day would have missed their flight. We did, but Qantas just put us on the next available flight.:)

I would have no control of these unforeseen circumstances I would assume a lot of passengers would miss their flight. Thank God I purchased insurance

Unforseen circumstances occur often and that is why one has quality travel insurance to take care of the unforeseen circumstances.

Whilst I posted earlier about catching early post cruises out of Sydney I do so because I am very familiar with the travel requirements and the airport operation. In a country and / or city I was unfamiliar with I probably wouldn't push the envelope

I haven't been late in at any end of cruise port however, I know numerous people who have been, one being my wife into Sydney.

Only docked in Sydney twice and been late on one of them, so running at 50% for me.

I haven't been late in at any end of cruise port however, I know numerous people who have been, one being my wife into Sydney.

I have only half an hour, but that really upset the apple cart for 11:15

I have only half an hour, but that really upset the apple cart for 11:15

Rosie's one was 3 and 1/2 hours late, they missed the early harbour entry and had to wait outside the heads, so a major disruption for anyone with further travel plans in the morning.