new to MSC Questions

joeyjeremiah

I have previously cruised with Princess and Holland America and have a cruise booked with princess for this January but we are thinking of cancelling it and trying MSC. I will be cruising with my 13 year old son, my 20 year old son, my husband and his parents. So I have been trying to figure out the differences with MSC. I am looking at either the Divina or Seaside for sometime this winter. We won't be doing YC as it is sold out on any of our available sailings.I'm most likely going to do a whilpool suite with aurea pkg for me and my husband and either balcony or inside for the others with fantastica. So I was wondering:

1) Does anybody have experience with the the teen program for the 12-14 age range, how was it

2) Has anybody put 4 people in 1 cabin, how crowded was it

3) When booking fantastica online it shows drink vouchers in the info page but the booking page says mealtime drinks included, is this in addition to the drink vouchers

4) How is the food and entertainment?

5) It looks like the aurea pkg includes a massage, what are the details on this?

6) What are the superfamily rooms like, considering this as an option?

7) How much stuff is an extra charge once onboard? Will most things be included?

8) Bella pkg says it included meal drinks in the booking page so what are the other incentives to pay for fantastica?

9) What does the status match program give you?

Sorry for all the questions just trying to get a better feel for this cruise line.

There are several things to consider here. If you sail on Divina, in a quad cabin, the 3/4 passengers share a fold out couch. It is at least queen size. If you book Bella experience, you have to pay for room service delivery. You also are not guaranteed a place in the MDR, although noone as yet has reported being bumped to the buffet area where you would have the MDR menu and wait service just as though you were in the MDR. Fantastica is guaranteed to eat in the MDR. However, Aurea guests have the possibly experimental MSC version of anytime dining, and are seated in a separate area of the MDR and therefore if the rest of your party are not Aurea, they cannot dine with you. I can't speak for Seaside as she has not sailed yet, and I am not following the threads about her. I did read that on one of the ships there are quad cabins with a couch and an upper, but don't know if that was Seaside or Meraviglia.

Mealtime beverages included means that you will get ice water from a pitcher, iced tea if you request, and coffee. these would not be free if you were sailing in Europe on MSC. These cruises sail with a large portion of the guests from Europe, speaking different languages. Therefore the entertainment is mostly musical. EM

I have previously cruised with Princess and Holland America and have a cruise booked with princess for this January but we are thinking of cancelling it and trying MSC. I will be cruising with my 13 year old son, my 20 year old son, my husband and his parents. So I have been trying to figure out the differences with MSC. I am looking at either the Divina or Seaside for sometime this winter. We won't be doing YC as it is sold out on any of our available sailings.I'm most likely going to do a whilpool suite with aurea pkg for me and my husband and either balcony or inside for the others with fantastica. So I was wondering:

1) Does anybody have experience with the the teen program for the 12-14 age range, how was it our daughter is 7 so I can't comment on the teen club/program.

2) Has anybody put 4 people in 1 cabin, how crowded was it. My cousin's family of 4 (2 adults and 2 teens) shared a balcony cabin on Meravigilia and said it was fine. For me personally, I feel it may be a bit tight. We were a cabin of 3 and that was comfortable.

Also, I think the inside cabin size is smaller than oceanview which is smaller than balcony.

BTW - on Meravigila for Balcony cabins, we did not have traditional sofa sleeper which took up floor space. Instead the ship has "convertible sofas" which functions like this: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/501729214709923458/. My cousin didn't take a picture of his cabin. For our cabin, our sofa turned into a single bed. It was very nice.

3) When booking fantastica online it shows drink vouchers in the info page but the booking page says mealtime drinks included, is this in addition to the drink vouchers Yes this is in addition to. The mealtime drinks is the promo for balcony cabin, whereas the vouchers are for the fantastica experience. We have this booked for Jan 2018 Seaside. Mealtime drinks include beer, wine.

5) It looks like the aurea pkg includes a massage, what are the details on this?

6) What are the superfamily rooms like, considering this as an option? Are these even available? We booked our Jan 2018 Seaside vacation in Oct 2016 and those were gone. If I understand correctly, these super family rooms are connecting rooms. We like connecting cabins.

7) How much stuff is an extra charge once onboard? Will most things be included? This all depends on the cabin and experience selected. Pete posted all this info in one thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2224649

8) Bella pkg says it included meal drinks in the booking page so what are the other incentives to pay for fantastica? See Pete's thread. Fantastica gives you the (12) drink vouchers per person, including the 3rd and 4th passenger. It also better cabin location, room service (if you use it). It is $70 to upgrade per person. The (12) drnk voucher is worth about $60(??).

9) What does the status match program give you? See Pete's thread/

Sorry for all the questions just trying to get a better feel for this cruise line.

See my responses in red.

We just sailed on Meravigilia. My guess is the cabin configuration will be similar for Seaside. At least I hope.

Edited by lifeasme123

Thank you for your comments. I am looking at a caribbean sailing. I should also clarify the mealtime beverage states wine and beer in included during lunch and dinner.

Yep. Its a perk being offered for booking balcony or higher. We got it as well as the drink vouchers for booking Fantastica. This works out great for us as neither of us are big drinkers, so the vouchers plus the included wine at dinner will more than cover our needs without having to purchase a drink package.

Thank you for your comments. I am looking at a caribbean sailing. I should also clarify the mealtime beverage states wine and beer in included during lunch and dinner.

We are also booked for Seaside in Jan 2018. My assumption is that Seaside will be similar to Meravigilia with the exception that food and entertainment would be catered to North American passengers.

I didn't understand your last sentence.

However, Aurea guests have the possibly experimental MSC version of anytime dining, and are seated in a separate area of the MDR.

Nothing "experimental" about MSC's "version" of anytime dining with Aurea 'Experience'. "MyChoice" is working perfectly well. You are possibly confusing it with "Flexi-dining" which was attempted for Fantastica bookings on Meraviglia and cancelled as it didn't work out.

Mealtime beverages included means that you will get ice water from a pitcher, iced tea if you request, and coffee. these would not be free if you were sailing in Europe on MSC.

Again: wrong. Mealtime drinks package was the Cheers package:

CHEERS ADULT - UNLIMITED MEALTIME DRINKS

(AVAILABLE TO BOOK FOR CARIBBEAN & MEDITERRANEAN CRUISES)

*Starting Summer 2017 the Cheers package will be re-named the Mealtime Restaurant Drink Package.

Make your everyday meals a special occasion!

Unlimited wine (a choice of 2 white, 2 red and 1 rosé house brands), mineral water, draft beer, sodas and fruit juices during lunch and dinner.

The drinks included in this package are for consumption in the main restaurants and the self-service buffet, but not in the specialty restaurants.

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/Manage-Your-Booking/All-Inclusive-Packages.aspx

1) Does anybody have experience with the the teen program for the 12-14 age range, how was it

We sailed this May when my two youngest were 12 and 15. For the most part it seemed that the 12-14 and 15-17 age groups did the same activities together. My 12 year old went a few times through the week but my 15 went as much as we would let him (this is usually how it goes with them on other cruise lines too).

One thing that was different from other lines is that at the end of the night when the teen club closed, instead of everyone having to leave and the club getting locked up, the counselor would leave at closing time, taking the remote controls and games etc with him but leaving the club open, and the kids could continue to hang out there.

2) Has anybody put 4 people in 1 cabin, how crowded was it

3) When booking fantastica online it shows drink vouchers in the info page but the booking page says mealtime drinks included, is this in addition to the drink vouchers

Yes, the vouchers are in addition to the mealtime drink package. We were able to use the vouchers for gelato and milkshakes as well as the usual beverages.

We enjoyed the majority of the food. Had lots of late night pizza - it was so good!

We only went to two of the nightly shows - the tribute to Queen and the Michael Jackson show. Both were fun. The late night entertainment up on the pool deck was fun too.

6) What are the superfamily rooms like, considering this as an option?

7) How much stuff is an extra charge once onboard? Will most things be included?

We purchased the unlimited package for the F1 simulator, 4D movies, and bowling for 85.00 each cabin (I think). You can also pay as you go.

The vouchers we received could be used for alcoholic drinks, soft drinks, coffees, smoothies, etc. and gelato so we didnt have to pay for those things.

The usual things had an extra charge like the spa, specialty dining, etc.

8) Bella pkg says it included meal drinks in the booking page so what are the other incentives to pay for fantastica?

Each person will also get 12 drink vouchers which can be used throughout the ship at any time of day.

There are are other incentives regarding the kids club, room service, and location of stateroom but I don't know those specifics.

9) What does the status match program give you?

5% off your cruise and other things depending on what level you match to.

We matched to black and got something everyday such as free specialty dining, thermal spa passes, free photo, string backpacks, sparkling wine and chocolate covered strawberries, etc.

Have a great cruise!

We are also booked for Seaside in Jan 2018. My assumption is that Seaside will be similar to Meravigilia with the exception that food and entertainment would be catered to North American passengers.

I didn't understand your last sentence.

Two different classes of ship; different designs.

We just came off the Divina on Saturday and had the above included. It means draft Heinken beer, soft drinks (Coke products in cans); bottled water and LaTerra wine - chardonnary, cabernet sauvignon and a rose (white zinfandel). You are allowed to consume during lunch and dinner times in the main restaurant and buffet (12 to 3 p.m. lunch).

We just came off the Divina on Saturday and had the above included. It means draft Heinken beer, soft drinks (Coke products in cans); bottled water and LaTerra wine - chardonnary, cabernet sauvignon and a rose (white zinfandel). You are allowed to consume during lunch and dinner times in the main restaurant and buffet (12 to 3 p.m. lunch).

Oh, snap. La Terre wine can be bought for $4 bottle ... might have to upgrade our package (at least it was included)

Oh, snap. La Terre wine can be bought for $4 bottle ... might have to upgrade our package (at least it was included)

I know! We looked it up on google! Beyond the first night at dinner, we didn't have any more.

We ended up doing the wine blending seminar on the first sea day and ordered additional bottles of what we made to enjoy in our cabin and anywhere on the ship.

We have a 13 DS who was in MSC last year and he didn't love their tween club. This was his 7th cruise and he felt their program was one of the weakest of the lines he has been on. For comparison, he hated Disney because there was way too many kids and loved NCL. (HAL was ok). However, he loved the cruise ship. They had a great sports deck, amazing gelato and pizza, nice arcades and the simulators. We are in fact booked for a Jan cruise in Divina.

We were in Europe, so it may be different in the US, but the tween/teens were together, which made him uncomfortable. And at night they didn't open until quite late and he was always waiting for them to open. He ended up making a bunch of friends (many who didn't speak much English) and hanging out playing sports with them.

We really like the MSC experience and we know the US based cruise will be different. As for food, we were in YC but ate quite a bit around the ship. The quality is similar to HAL and better (in most cases) than NCL.

• 4 weeks later...

So I'm comparing the all inclusive drink packages and the premium one states that it's from the patisserie are included. What are these? Is it drinks or food? Also, has anybody used the thermal suite on the divina, did they like it? Can you upgrade the classic drink package that comes with the aurora experience to the premium package?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I'm comparing the all inclusive drink packages and the premium one states that it's from the patisserie are included. What are these? Is it drinks or food? Also, has anybody used the thermal suite on the divina, did they like it? Can you upgrade the classic drink package that comes with the aurora experience to the premium package?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Patisserie is the fancy cakes shop usually locate don the shopping Plaza, it may have coffees or shakes too. I believe you can upgrade the drinks package once onboard but have no experience of this. Many similar questions on here suggest you can. Ken