What's with the damned music ads on Cruise Critic?

John Bull

When I posted I think I needed to re-boot, because I too have now lost all ads on CC.

On some other sites I now get messages telling me that I'm consequently not providing them with revenue. TBH, that's a shame. But advertisers over-doing the ads have created the situation.

Same with the long drawn-out stuff on facebook.

If it looks interesting, nowadays I go straight to "comments", to see if there are complaints about wasted-time. There usually are.:rolleyes:

And the same with TV.

Programmes I'm keen to watch I now record, so that I can watch later and fast-forward through the ads.

Advertising is a fact of life.

But when it starts to dominate, they lose me entirely. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the heads-up.

JB :)

Again you're welcome. Your post is spot on. Now if only there a quick and effective way to stop all the robocalls on our landline and cell phones. :mad:

Again you're welcome. Your post is spot on. Now if only there a quick and effective way to stop all the robocalls on our landline and cell phones. :mad:

We haven't had a landline in 14 years but agree about them on the cell phones. It's gotten to the point where I don't even answer the phone anymore unless I know the number. Most of the robocalls won't leave a voicemail. If someone wants me bad enough they will text me, email me, leave a voicemail or contact me on Facebook.

OK, in order to operate, Cruise Critic needs adverts. I know that, I accept that.

But now I'm sometimes getting video ads complete with music or dialogue.

Not only does it slow - and occasionally stall - my computer, but the sound is downright intrusive. Especially when there are others in the room, or I'm concentrating on my one-finger typing or listening to something else while I browse, so I have to turn off my speakers.

Have others been getting the same?

Or mebbe just those of us on the UK site?

Just recently, or for some time?

On tablets as well as PCs?

Do you find them a damned nuisance?

....................... or am I just a grumpy old man? ;)

Holy cow. I'm now experiencing this. Makes it almost impossible to enjoy CC.

I use uBlock Origin so I don't see ads, but any autoplay video or advertisement that makes sound is just horrible. I agree that it's unreasonable for a site to not want its users to use adblockers if the ads are so intrusive.

OK, in order to operate, Cruise Critic needs adverts. I know that, I accept that.

But now I'm sometimes getting video ads complete with music or dialogue.

Not only does it slow - and occasionally stall - my computer, but the sound is downright intrusive. Especially when there are others in the room, or I'm concentrating on my one-finger typing or listening to something else while I browse, so I have to turn off my speakers.

Have others been getting the same?

Or mebbe just those of us on the UK site?

Just recently, or for some time?

On tablets as well as PCs?

Do you find them a damned nuisance?

....................... or am I just a grumpy old man? ;)

Maybe UK site since here in US I've never had a music ad, never had an ad with sound even though I do have ads: cars, cruises, and a few others.

Maybe UK site since here in US I've never had a music ad, never had an ad with sound even though I do have ads: cars, cruises, and a few others.

I'm in the US and I was getting the blaring audio for a while--it's been better for a couple of weeks though. I hated those ads--don't mind the others.

I would strongly recommend uBlock Origin over AdBlock Plus. It uses far fewer resources and is more reputable.

I've tried them both on my Laptop using ME and didn't notice any difference in my computers performance. Since I installed AdBlock Plus after uBlock Origin I stayed with it. Provide your sources claiming uBlock Origin is more reputable?

Have you installed Add Blocker Plus?

No, I haven't. I will have to look into that. Thanks.

Not sure what is happening. Response/refresh is very slow. This doesn't happen on other forums I belong to. (took forever just to type this response:o)

No, I haven't. I will have to look into that. Thanks.

Not sure what is happening. Response/refresh is very slow. This doesn't happen on other forums I belong to. (took forever just to type this response:o)

If you decide to install it it's "AdBlock Plus" not Add Blocker Plus as I suggested in the prior post.

This has been a real problem for me recently. Thanks for the info about muting the tab, I wasn't aware that this is possible.

I think I stopped using an ad blocker when I wanted to use the ITV player but have to go back to using one for my own health and temper!

The robo phone calls were also really getting on my t*ts until I activated our Sky shield which has made a huuuuge difference :)