Port of Miami departure strategy

FloriDan

We took our first ever cruise earlier this year out of Miami and arrival and embarkation were a breeze, but when we got off ship, two other cruises disembarking and Terminal G was a sweaty mass of angry humanity. Row after row of people were stacked 10 and 20 deep waiting for shuttles and cabs. It was nightmarish. We had parked on-site and after waiting 20 minutes for a port parking bus, we gave up and hoofed it about half a mile back to the parking garage.

As we start planning for our next cruise out of Miami in November, I'm wondering if what we had was a rare experience, or if that's par for the port. I'd like to entertain the idea of parking off-site or at a hotel to save on the $20/day port garage fee But if it's going to take forever to get back to our car and start the four-hour drive back home, I'm willing to pay the extra $$$.

We used Safe Parking in May and had no problems. They did not keep our keys. Departing the ship we waited 10 minutes for the free shuttle. Employees were helpful. Parking lot has high wall with fencing. Not located in good area but will use again. Was easy with our GPS

I have sailed in and out of Miami numerous times and the answer is you never know precisely what the experience will be like. On most arrivals we had no problem securing a taxi and these days you have Uber as an option.

Now as to parking I would park on site and to me it is money worth spending. You run a risk parking off site such as coming back to no car.

And by parking on site you have that added advantage that you mentioned which is convenience to walk over to where your car is parked and not have to wait.

Keith

The answer is very simple. Just do self-assist and hop off early. At POM, we walked down during self-assist time and right off the ship, right through customs and out to the curb. I just walked over and got the truck, my wife stayed with the kids near the terminal. I pulled up, kids, wife and luggage into the truck and on our way. Of course, it was early and there was no crowds or anything of the sort. Easy as can be.

This will be my first cruise out if Miami. Which would be better to get to the airport. Just grab a taxi at the ship or book a shuttle before hand.

If flying out of MIA just get a taxi when you get outside the terminal building

it is $27 flat rate + tip

This will be my first cruise out if Miami. Which would be better to get to the airport. Just grab a taxi at the ship or book a shuttle before hand.

We just got back from our cruise out of Miami on Friday.

I did the Carnival transfer to the port from the airport. I like the safety of being with Carnival but we stopped to pick up people and I said next time I would just do uber/taxi for speed!

We took our first ever cruise earlier this year out of Miami and arrival and embarkation were a breeze, but when we got off ship, two other cruises disembarking and Terminal G was a sweaty mass of angry humanity. Row after row of people were stacked 10 and 20 deep waiting for shuttles and cabs. It was nightmarish. We had parked on-site and after waiting 20 minutes for a port parking bus, we gave up and hoofed it about half a mile back to the parking garage.

As we start planning for our next cruise out of Miami in November, I'm wondering if what we had was a rare experience, or if that's par for the port. I'd like to entertain the idea of parking off-site or at a hotel to save on the $20/day port garage fee But if it's going to take forever to get back to our car and start the four-hour drive back home, I'm willing to pay the extra $$$.

There's a site that will also show you how may cruise ships are in a port at a time. That is something you may want to consider as well. That helps determine how crazy busy it will be. I'm not sure where that site is but someone can point you to it.

The answer is very simple. Just do self-assist and hop off early...

We considered doing this on our last cruise, but dealing with all the luggage was a concern. It was a four-day cruise and my wife insisted on bringing enough clothes for two weeks. So one huge bag, her purse, a rollaboard carry-on and the bag of snorkel gear. This trip is nine days so I imagine we'll have even more to deal with. Over the years, I've learned it's better for our marriage to let her pack what she wants rather than try and convince her that she'd have to change outfits five times a day to wear everything she wants to bring. ;)

All that said, the idea appeals to me. And would get us out of the port quickly and on our way, which is really the goal.

There's a site that will also show you how may cruise ships are in a port at a time...

I looked at the Miami schedule on cruisemapper and that's what got me to worrying about all this. Like I said there were three ships disembarking in April. The day we get back in November, there are supposed to be SIX in port! :eek::eek::eek:

If you are parking at the port just get off last or at least in a later group

Easier to find luggage as all the me first people have long gone

If you have a flight to catch that is a different story

We usually get off around 9 am & at MIA by 9:30 it works for us

We are sailing on Navigator of the Seas in Dec. and I would like an address of the parking structure in Miami to load into my GFS. Does each ship have it's own parking area? We will be driving from Fort Pierce,FL area where we plan on spending the night before.

J.

We are sailing on Navigator of the Seas in Dec. and I would like an address of the parking structure in Miami to load into my GFS. Does each ship have it's own parking area? We will be driving from Fort Pierce,FL area where we plan on spending the night before.

J.

Parking structure at the port? You park in the one in front of your ship. It's as easy as can be. Get to the port, see where your ship is (they are big, hard to miss) and pull into a parking structure in front of it.

Like BNBR said, the garage/terminal situation is pretty easy to navigate once you're there, using the posted signs. And if you get turned around, you can always make a loop and circle back (voice of experience).

From my limited knowledge, there are three large garages from which to choose. Garage C is the easternmost, across from Terminals B and C. Garage D is across from Terminal D and Garage G is way at the west end, across from Terminal G. Our first cruise out was from Terminal C and we parked at Garage C, which was very convenient for departure. Our debarkation terminal, however, was Terminal G and since we decided to walk back to the garage, we were starting at the furthest point and walking to the most distant garage.

I think next time, we'll park in the middle garage (Garage D), just to be safe. The entrance to that garage is on the corner of N. Cruise Blvd., just after crossing Europe Way. Here's a link to the terminal map, and maybe that will help.

I looked at the Miami schedule on cruisemapper and that's what got me to worrying about all this. Like I said there were three ships disembarking in April. The day we get back in November, there are supposed to be SIX in port! :eek::eek::eek:

Assuming you are driving back to Tampa (based on the city by your name), I honestly don't see what the big deal is. You are not having to head to MIA or FLL tol catch a flight, worst case you are home in time for dinner and not a late lunch.