10:00 pm sail away time?

kac0426

I'm looking at a Celebrity cruise out of Dublin, Ireland that has a sail away time of 10:00 pm. I've never been on a cruise that didn't have a 4:00 or 5:00 pm sail away. How do they handle the muster drill in this situation? And I assume you can still board around 11:00 am or noon? Can you get on board, drop off your stuff, and then go back out in Dublin to explore?

I'm looking at a Celebrity cruise out of Dublin, Ireland that has a sail away time of 10:00 pm. I've never been on a cruise that didn't have a 4:00 or 5:00 pm sail away. How do they handle the muster drill in this situation? And I assume you can still board around 11:00 am or noon? Can you get on board, drop off your stuff, and then go back out in Dublin to explore?

You must be there for muster

I have been on a number of cruises that were late evening sail away.

Muster is either done between early and late MDR seating or on one occasion they had it the next day (first day at sea).

Agree, although nowadays, I would bet that it will be between MDR seatings... ships are not "allowed" (although there are exceptions) to hold their muster drill after sailaway (this is a new rule that has been implemented since the Costa Concordia tragedy since their muster drill was scheduled for the following day).

We've had a late sail away many times and they usually hold it around 7:30. It does interrupt dinner especially if you go to the MDR. Many people went back for dessert following the muster drill break between their main course and dessert. We dined select so had a reservation for later so we wouldn't be interrupted.

I believe they closed embarkation shortly before the muster drill.

I do remember one recent cruise though but for the life of me can't remember where it was sailing, where there were quite a few people that hadn't boarded by the time the drill was held so they held a session for them the following day in the sky lounge.

I do remember one recent cruise though but for the life of me can't remember where it was sailing, where there were quite a few people that hadn't boarded by the time the drill was held so they held a session for them the following day in the sky lounge.

Hi,

Hi,

Not sure why this got posted. Anyway, Hi coldwatergirl. I got excited when you posted and thought you were booked on the cruise out of Dublin that we are on. Say hello to Ted.

John

As required by the International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea, a passenger muster drill must be conducted by the ship within 24 hours of departure. However, in the wake of the Costa Concordia disaster, many cruise lines choose to conduct the drill before the ship departs port for the first time. It is the responsibility of the crew to ensure that a muster drill is held and that every passenger and crew member is aware that it is being held. If a muster drill cannot be held, a report in the logbook must be made to state the circumstances.

Laws in some places hold crew members liable to face civil charges if they voluntarily do not attend the muster drill. For example, in some U.S. states, those who do not attend are fined varying amounts, depending on their rank.

Muster drills are typically not conducted and are usually not required for short trips on the water, such as those taken on ferries, dinner cruises, and riverboats. On ferries, a safety briefing delivered through the PA system alerts passengers to the sound pattern of the emergency alarm and what to do if the signal is heard.