HAL and America's Test Kitchen

santaharry

No extra charge for the programs they offer that are listed in the daily program. It's part of the ship's entertainment program. There may be cooking classes that are offered and they do have an extra charge in order to participate.

The cooking demonstrations (of which there were 3 or 4 on our 7-day Alaska cruise on the Noordam) were free and very popular. You had to get there early to get a seat where you could see the demonstrator. Be sure to pick up the nice large recipe cards as you enter for the demonstration. I made the recipe for the Chewy Brownies (which were demonstrated at the Chocolate Cooking Show) for our local county fair and won a blue ribbon!

Sounds like fun!

Which ships have this activity???

All of the ships are supposed to have ATK in place by the end of 2017, according to the information on the HAL website. Westerdam was first to get it, in Oct/16, followed by Nieuw Amsterdam in late Dec/16 or early Jan/17. Those are the only two ships I know about but I know I've read reviews on other ships that have it. I just can't remember which ships those are!

All of the ships are supposed to have ATK in place by the end of 2017, according to the information on the HAL website. Westerdam was first to get it, in Oct/16, followed by Nieuw Amsterdam in late Dec/16 or early Jan/17. Those are the only two ships I know about but I know I've read reviews on other ships that have it. I just can't remember which ships those are!

THANK YOU!!

We are on the Zuiderdam in April 2018.....Hopefully the program is well-received and it is added to our ship by then!

:)

The Amsterdam had ATK on our 14 day Alaska cruise earlier this month. The chef, Kathleen, was very good! I enjoyed all of the demos and, like others mentioned, it helps to arrive early in order to get a seat. I asked about the ATK classes at the front desk on embarkation day (thanks to the advice given on this board!) and was able to get class on cakes. There was a charge ($39, I think), but it was a fun class and I got an ATK apron.

The ATK demos we had on the Noordam in June, 2017, were very professionally done and without a single misstep or word stumble. Lots of great tips and worthy of a final, edited TV presentation. The handouts for salmon and chocolate were filled with shopping, preparation, packaging, and storage tips in addition to the recipe presented.

THANK YOU!!

We are on the Zuiderdam in April 2018.....Hopefully the program is well-received and it is added to our ship by then!

:)

We were on the Zuiderdam in June. It was still running the "Culinary Arts Presentations" at that time, but will soon be in drydock. It should be updated at that time.

I got an email reply from the Veendam Ship Services Coordinator and he said that the ATK started on the Veendam in May 2017 so looking forward to getting our free 5 Star cooking class with them in October.

We were on the Zuiderdam in June. It was still running the "Culinary Arts Presentations" at that time, but will soon be in drydock. It should be updated at that time.

Thanks, Heartgrove!!

Looking forward to our first HAL cruise, and we're all fans of ATK!!

:D