Hurricane irma....ugh

Irma was already the strongest hurricane ever east of the Leeward Islands. Irma just hit 185mph. This ties her for the second strongest hurricane ever wind wise with Wilma, Gilbert, and 1935 keys hurricane. Next on her list is Allen at 190 mph.

Just so everyone can understand the seriousness with this hurricane. The 185 is average with gusts at 200-210. In perspective you are basically looking at a EF4 tornado that is 20-25 miles wide!! In addition those tornadoes may last for a couple miles, this hurricane would do that now for many many miles.

I am booked on Magic 9/9 out of Port Canaveral. If by some miracle it doesn't get cancelled I am wondering if we will even be able to get down there. Fearing gas will be out as a news article in Orlando reported "People are also urged to fill their gas tanks before gas stations could see long lines and a supply shortage.".

Found this on Southwest's website just in case it helps anyone out:

Based on the forecasted weather conditions for the following cities, our scheduled service on Tuesday, September 5, thru Monday, September 11, may be disrupted (flights may be delayed, diverted, and/or cancelled):

• Fort Lauderdale (FLL)
  • Fort Myers (RSW)
  • Havana (HAV)
  • Nassau (NAS)
  • Orlando (MCO)
  • Punta Cana (PUJ)
  • San Juan (SJU)
  • West Palm Beach (PBI)

Customers who are holding reservations on Tuesday, September 5, thru Monday, September 11, and want to alter their travel plans may rebook in the original class of service or travel standby (within 14 days of their original date of travel between the original city-pairs and in accordance with our accommodation procedures) without paying any additional charge.

I am booked on Magic 9/9 out of Port Canaveral. If by some miracle it doesn't get cancelled I am wondering if we will even be able to get down there. Fearing gas will be out as a news article in Orlando reported "People are also urged to fill their gas tanks before gas stations could see long lines and a supply shortage.".

My daughter lives in Orlando and she said the lines are very very long at the gas stations today. She lives near UCF.

Yes, very strange and odd. I am very concerned with this vacation. I have called Carnival everyday to get an update and last night the rep told me that the Glory was sailing on the 9th and that there was no alerts as of last night. (Hello it was a category 4 hurricane last night) Maybe, I am just paranoid but I wish they would just cancel it so I can just re-schedule my cruise. Good luck, on your flight Saturday!

I read in my roll call that another person called Delta (my carrier as well) and they said if the cruise gets canceled, the flight would too. I'm wondering what the possibilities are of "switching" to another cruise that's unaffected. There is one out of Mobile, AL that one of my employees will be on.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Me too. I don't think it's a good idea to be encouraging people to come to an area that's going to be hit by a major hurricane.

There's nowhere for them to go and potentially nowhere for them to return to. I'm on Victory out of Miami to Nassau and would be happy with a CTN if it weren't for the worry about the return.

That's what I'm thinking. To me, it sounds like Royal is getting themselves into position to move empty ships out of the way of Irma.

Evacuations are ordered for visitors in the Florida Keys starting tomorrow, all tourists to leave the islands.

Mayor of Miami just held a press conference which was televised on the Weather Channel, and he is telling tourists to get out of Miami-Dade.

My daughter lives in Orlando and she said the lines are very very long at the gas stations today. She lives near UCF.

Lines are gone, and fuel is available. I just filled up and work at UCF.

However, the rationing has started for bottled water in the places that still have some in stock.

Ok guys I'm here briefly. We're in Roatan. Weather is beautiful but we're too worried to enjoy it.

We've got ourselves at home mostly taken care of once we get there. We're supposed to port on Saturday morning. If that happens we should still

Make it ahead of the storm safely with the car that's in Miami.

If that doesn't happen... I'm guessing we'll

Head to New Orleans?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lines are gone, and fuel is available. I just filled up and work at UCF.

However, the rationing has started for bottled water in the places that still have some in stock.

Awesome! DD is 21 so her idea of a line and my idea of a line are probably two different things. LOL

I hope UCF decides soon on class cancellations to allow students adequate travel time.

Ok guys I'm here briefly. We're in Roatan. Weather is beautiful but we're too worried to enjoy it.

We've got ourselves at home mostly taken care of once we get there. We're supposed to port on Saturday morning. If that happens we should still

Head to New Orleans?

Hi, enjoy ur cruise as there is nothing u can do right now to change the weather or prep you made at home. I think you will be spending a few extra days at sea before heading to New Orleans.

Ships due back Saturday and Sunday will most likely not make it back to port... Latest cone of death has South Florida under Tropical Storm conditions by Saturday... Not sure what's the plan for 3 Day cruises this coming Friday, Bahamas will probably be off limits as well as the Florida Keys...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Cone of death?

For people speculating that cruises out of Mobile might be a good swap, please take another look. The forecasted track for Irma 's eye/center has shifted west again to the west coast of Florida. The model tracks have been shifting west since first developed and could shift again in the next 5 days. it will depend upon the steering currents and interaction with the cold front and jet stream from Canada. At present you can't rule anything out. New Orleans would be a stretch for any ship originally intended to return to Florida's East coast. And not sure if docks there can handle the load. Ships in the Western are already going to have to go south of Cuba instead of the Florida Straits for return and hope to come in behind the storm versus being in front.

So stay alert, stay flexible, and hope for the best.

Hi - I'm newer to cruising than most on here. I'm supposed to sail out of Ft. Lauderdale on the Carnival Splendor Sept 14th. I'm thinking Irma will be done by then, but what happens if the ship is kept out at sea on the cruise before mine and doesn't make it back in time? Do they cancel? Postpone? Use a different ship?

Head to New Orleans?

Try to enjoy your cruise! You’re on Glory, correct? If Irma hits Miami directly and Carnival needs to divert you, they could send you to Nola but also Mobile (which is less likely). Either way, you wouldn’t immediately be diverted. Maybe after a few days at sea

if you can tell me what is informative about a post that basically says "you are all idiots for planning a cruise in September" I am all ears.
Who posted that? Please provide me the link so I can go over and criticize that comment as vigorously as you have.
I keep reading about everyone's upset comments concerning cancelling cruise, rerouting cruise, worried about homes back home if they cruise, and on and on. I feel bad for you all, but if I've said it once I'll say it again--this is the risk you take by booking during hurricane season. You can defend it all you want, but it is a total waste of money! And a whole lot of pain, worry, and stress. It's great when it works out in your favor, but do really want to risk your hard earned cruised dollars?
I am anxiously awaiting your criticism....
All I can criticize in this case is your post, for failing to follow the discussion and failing to provide a link to an actually offensive posting. While I disagree with grandmarnnurse's conclusion that it is a "total waste of money", not one part of her comment was offensive.

oh goodness. You YOURSELF have said "I see very few people actually attacking or placing blame on travelers for choosing to cruise in hurricane season" so obviously you have seen the posts.
There have been some posts that I thought were rude, and I replied to them appropriately. I was trying to get you to post a link to one in a discussion I was following that I had missed. I guess I didn't miss any.

Let's set aside the meta-discussion and get back to the topic.

Me too. I don't think it's a good idea to be encouraging people to come to an area that's going to be hit by a major hurricane.
When appropriate I expect that the governor will issue a non-essential travel ban.

Cone of death?
Cruise Critic needs a facepalm smiley. Edited by bUU

You're telling me. We drove from NY down to Baltimore, and sailed up to NY. lmao. We made the best of it, and had an awesome time in Little Italy and Times Square.

Not to mention, we all got $250 pp onboard credit, we upgraded our cabin (free) from a 4k to an extended balcony on the 7th floor. By the time we sailed back down to Baltimore, there was only 700 people onboard. We had the ship to ourselves. In addition, we got 50% off a future cruise (which we are going on in March 2018).

In 2012 we were on the Pride when Hurricane Sandy hit, and the coast guard closed the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay. We were literally on the ship, had lunch (and my mother was unpacked), and they canceled our cruise.

But I did learn my lesson. I will never ever book another cruise during hurricane season.

Twice bitten. lol

That Matthew trip, while NY was disappointing, turned out to be the best cruise I've been on. Ship was empty, no lines, and great weather just cruising up and down the coast. Not to mention credit and half off like you said. Best Cruise Ever!

All I can criticize in this case is your post, for failing to follow the discussion and failure to provide a link to an actually offensive posting.

There have been some posts that I thought were rude, and I replied to them appropriately. I was trying to get you to post a link to one in a discussion I was following that I had missed. I guess I didn't miss any.

Let's set aside the meta-discussion and get back to the topic.

When appropriate I expect that the governor will issue a non-essential travel ban.

Um... All three cruises I've been on were during hurricane season and they were fine, so I guess I'll see how this one goes.

How long do they usually wait to make a decision? Anyone know?
Based on what we've seen in the past, it'll be once the chances of a successful turnaround on debarkation/embarkation day gets very low. With mandatory evacuations being ordered by the mayor, that's going to drive the probability quite low and possibly over the threshold for all the cruise lines operating from Port of Miami.