Sky Great Stirrup Cay Tender Question

gravitar

I haven't been able to find the answer to my question here or elsewhere online and haven't been able to get an answer from my NCL rep or their access desk.

Is the tender accessible to someone using a walker? I understand that there may be stability issues in rougher seas.

Is it required to change levels after boarding the tender to disembark at either the pier at GSC or the ship?

Thanks

I haven't been able to find the answer to my question here or elsewhere online and haven't been able to get an answer from my NCL rep or their access desk.

Is the tender accessible to someone using a walker? I understand that there may be stability issues in rougher seas.

Is it required to change levels after boarding the tender to disembark at either the pier at GSC or the ship?

Thanks

If tours are booked, they get priority disembarkation.

Have tendered more than once to Great Stirrup Caye, I would tell you that yes, it is possible for someone using a walker but it is very difficult. The tenders pull up to the side of the ship. To board the tender, you have to step across into the tender which may or may not be very steady. Then you have to find a bench for sitting. Staff from both the ship and the tender will help as much as possible.

I do not need to use a walker but I do have mobility issues because of a bad knee. I do NOT do off ship at Great Stirrup Caye. Once arriving at Great Stirrup Caye, it is a very long walk to the beach areas or the cabanas.

If tours are booked, they get priority disembarkation.

Have tendered more than once to Great Stirrup Caye, I would tell you that yes, it is possible for someone using a walker but it is very difficult. The tenders pull up to the side of the ship. To board the tender, you have to step across into the tender which may or may not be very steady. Then you have to find a bench for sitting. Staff from both the ship and the tender will help as much as possible.

I do not need to use a walker but I do have mobility issues because of a bad knee. I do NOT do off ship at Great Stirrup Caye. Once arriving at Great Stirrup Caye, it is a very long walk to the beach areas or the cabanas.

Thanks for the reply

So there is no gangway from the ship to tender? I have seen pictures that appear to show one. I have also read that you have to change levels on the tender for embarking /disembarking.

Can you provide any more insight on that?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N910P using Forums mobile app

Thanks

The ship crew will assist.

You need to walk down the 1 set of steps from the doorway to the tender platform.

You will be assisted from the tender platform onto the large tender.

You need to go down one set of stairs to the lower deck of the tender.

At the island, you will disembark and embark via a ramp (not too much slope) onto the dock.

On the island, there are sand wheel chairs (first come first serve).

... Is the tender accessible to someone using a walker? I understand that there may be stability issues in rougher seas. Is it required to change levels after boarding the tender to disembark at either the pier at GSC or the ship? Thanks

Yes, you have to switch from upper deck into lower deck when tendering ship to shore, and reverse - lower to upper deck when returning to the ship - tender has a wider ramp that connect once at GSC's pier, with a moderate incline.

I've seen others with mobility issues do GSC, with assistance from other members of their traveling party. With a little bit of wind & waves and changing tide, the tender boat will have a little vertical motion, up & down slightly.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yqwznsx2fpt5mmz/Mar%2025%2C%202015_872162.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dw9uybzxkto94zz/Mar%2025%2C%202015_902345.jpg?dl=0

This is from beyondship's website - gives you an idea of the tender's 2 decks:

http://www.beyondships3.com/uploads/8/2/4/5/8245255/9509347_orig.jpg

You can call the NCL Accessibility desk with questions. I'd give it a 50/50 chance of getting the right answer. The best is to talk with the ship's crew and ask for assistance. 866-584-9756

Access desk said they didn't know but suggested that one would have to step across an open gap between the ship and the tender.

Thanks for the reply

So there is no gangway from the ship to tender? I have seen pictures that appear to show one. I have also read that you have to change levels on the tender for embarking /disembarking.

Can you provide any more insight on that?

Thanks

Not having been on The Sky yet, I can not tell you exactly how their tendering operation works. Once you board, you might want to talk with the people at the Shore Excursion Desk.

Whenever I have done tendering, you go down to Deck 4 or so and led to the door they are using for tending. Sometimes that can be a long walk if you have to wind through the ship a bit. Then the tending is either at the door level and you can step across or you have to climb down a long narrow metal staircase on the OUTSIDE of the ship, stand on a platform and then load into a tender ( not fun for me).

I hope my comments help a bit.

I don't recall - both for the Breakaway and the Gem (should be same as the Sky) - that you will have to step across an open gap to get on/off the upper deck of the tender boat.

But, you most definitely have to negotiate and go down and back up (later) those 10 to 15 interior staircase steps. I've seen others do that while on crutches, with some difficulties but help from other members of their traveling party.

Here are some pictures from the Jewel with a better closeup of the tender, you board the upper deck and get onto the island on the lower deck via those ramp ... onto the pier. The main beach is a 10 minute walk on the paved path ... the rest is sandy. Or, make use of beach wheelchair - much longer time with a walker.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aemcyadvit183fd/SDC10091.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ocbxhafw1tfdos0/SDC10092.JPG?dl=0

They do use a ramp to make it as safe as possible to walk across/transfer between the ship and the tender boat, you use both hands to hold onto the safety railings on either side ... I don't believe it is wide enough for doing that with a walker, about 4 or 5 to 6 steps across, sometimes with an incline depending on tide & waves can be tricky.

Frankly, you might wish to and better off stay on the quieter ship and enjoy the pool deck and find a sunny spot - the BBQ and food served is the same ... and the buffet is, as you know, air-conditioned.

I just got off the Sky yesterday. You do enter the tender on one floor and disembark on another. I would say there are approximately 12 steps. When getting off it is via a ramp which has a slight decline. When you get back on the ramp has spraying water (to clean the sand from your feet). From the tender to the beach it is a good distance. In my opinion (which is just my opinion) unless you are really wanting to get to the beach it may be more trouble than it's worth. The beach is nice but the only other options are a few market vendors. The food is the same as what is on the ship. Although there is a taco hut at one end that served some good tacos but the seating was limited and the tacos were in paper wrappers. No plates or eating utensils. We waited until after the crowd and was in group 7. Also, the beach chairs are plentiful but are really close together. There was a couple of shaded areas that look like they had more room but they were taken by the time we got there. Hope this helps.

Don't let any disability keep you from getting on the tender and to the island. you paid for the cruise, so you're entitled to enjoy every port stop made available. If a person needs help getting on or off, or if a wheelchair is needed for part of the walkway, then they should provide one. go and enjoy yourself! walker or not,,, just do it and make the best of it! :)

We tendered there on our last cruise with pretty rough seas. We were on the Breakaway, but I think if the seas are pretty quiet there should be no problem with a walker and those sand chairs are neat! But if it's a rough sea day you may want to go down and check it out for yourself before having her come down. Hope you have a great trip!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk