Starboard or Port for South America Grand Adventure

Cruise2End

I've got to agree with California&Cruise - aft. We had an aft cabin on the Ocean Princess on this same voyage last year. Loved the views going in and out of port. While at sea, meh, any side is the same. OTOH, if you're rounding Cape Horn, both times we did that the port side was facing the island as we went around counter-clockwise.

Hi...are the seas rough when sailing around the cape??? we are cruising there in Dec. Thanks

We didn't make it around Cape Horn in late December last year - we could see it in the distance when the captain announced he was aborting the circumnavigation of the island. No one was surprised - we had been more than 6 hours late leaving Ushuaia because the wind had the ship 'stuck' to the pier until after midnight. When we woke the next morning we were rocking and rolling. My husband came out of the shower laughing that the water couldn't drain at all because, given the angle of the ship, it was all pooled in the back of the tub and didn't reach the drain. It was shortly after that the captain announced we were heading straight to the Falklands. We didn't hear any complaints about the captain's decision; I'm sure many were disappointed (us too) but didn't need convincing that the captain was acting in our best interests given the state of the seas and the wind.

I hope you are luckier than us but if not, it is only one small part of a fantastic cruise. Have fun!

We sailed from Rio to Santiago in January. Starboard side faced land most of the trip however Cape Horn is actually an island and we went around that counterclockwise so the better side for viewing that was the Port side. Hubby and I had a Port side cabin and had friends on the Starboard side so we just changed up where we met based on the view.

We had a port side cabin half the cruise and starboard the other half. There really wasn't an advantage to either. We circled Horn island and both sides got a view. Sea conditions were mild that day. Normally your too far off shore for a view of anything but water but there is plenty of scenic cruising in the southern cone (Patagonia). Remember no matter what side of the ship, you'll have afternoon sun on your side of the ship for half the trip and morning sun the other half.