LIVE (and Solo) from the Vista, Sep 09-2017...

sid_9169

They have been stringing us all along for days now, while NCL and RCL have already issued refunds above and beyond the price of the cruise. In my opinion, Carnival is being very greedy about this whole situation. Hopefully at 1:00 today I'll have a real answer...

we are sailing on the Conquest on 9/9 (now 9/13). We waited and waited and then waited some more just to tell us that they want to keep our money and not cancel just head to Cozumel for a 4 day cruise. I am so mad at Carnival i could scream. :mad:

I'm going to go ahead and wrap this up, I suppose... This will go down as the only "Live Review" that never even got within 3,000 miles of the actual ship. Basically, the story here is that Carnival now expects thousands of people to try and get to Miami somehow, not even knowing what sort of conditions will prevail by then. My idea of a vacation is not travailing over downed trees and through puddles of water for 800 miles. They say that they will "pro-rate" the refund for the 3 days that everyone will miss, plus a "future cruise credit" for the remaining 5/8ths of the money...

Norweigian and Royal have issued full refunds, above and beyond the price paid for the cancelled cruises. Carnival has decided that their bottom line is more important than their passengers. Carnival can roll up my "future cruise credit" tightly, and stick it deeply where the sun don't shine. I'm done with them forever. I have gone ahead and booked the NCL Escape for Halloween week, and will try to put the lost money behind me. I honestly feel that Carnival is shooting themselves in the foot with this move, but I am not the one making that decision. They had their chance to really step up and show people that their passengers were their top priority, and they failed miserably...

That's pretty much it, folks. For those who made it this far, thanks for following along. I will pick up where this led off on the NCL board inabout 45 days from now. Until then, adios. sid=out...

The pro-rate ,,,goes on your sail and sign account to give back to Carnival should you decide to take the cruise :( It should go back to the credit card so we can decide for ourself where to spend our hard earned dollars. I have cruised 26 times . I don;t drink and my gratuties are paid . I am so past of buying souveniors on a cruise ship.......there is nothing new anymore !

Sadly all cruise lines are the same, for every story like this there are similar ones on the other lines boards. We got the royal shaft by RCI and I see they are still true to their form! Good luck with NCL! I'm hoping Carnival will still cancel your cruise and you will get a full refund!

I'm going to go ahead and wrap this up, I suppose... This will go down as the only "Live Review" that never even got within 3,000 miles of the actual ship. Basically, the story here is that Carnival now expects thousands of people to try and get to Miami somehow, not even knowing what sort of conditions will prevail by then. My idea of a vacation is not travailing over downed trees and through puddles of water for 800 miles. They say that they will "pro-rate" the refund for the 3 days that everyone will miss, plus a "future cruise credit" for the remaining 5/8ths of the money...

Norweigian and Royal have issued full refunds, above and beyond the price paid for the cancelled cruises. Carnival has decided that their bottom line is more important than their passengers. Carnival can roll up my "future cruise credit" tightly, and stick it deeply where the sun don't shine. I'm done with them forever. I have gone ahead and booked the NCL Escape for Halloween week, and will try to put the lost money behind me. I honestly feel that Carnival is shooting themselves in the foot with this move, but I am not the one making that decision. They had their chance to really step up and show people that their passengers were their top priority, and they failed miserably...

That's pretty much it, folks. For those who made it this far, thanks for following along. I will pick up where this led off on the NCL board inabout 45 days from now. Until then, adios. sid=out...

To my fellow Kahuna...I agree. My daughter had to evacuate S Georgia, so I just decided to go see a Braves game...And try to enjoy my day off! Teia

Sid_9169. Thank you for your report and your perspective on this situation. I think that at some point perhaps Carnival will offer full refunds for your altered cruise, and I think they should do so. I know that the hurricane is not their fault, however they should accept that the altered cruise does not fit into many if not most people's schedules and plans, and also that not everyone will want a cruise credit. So as a good will gesture, which they have previously done in situations beyond their control, they should offer full refunds to those who want. Then those affected people will likely some day book another Carnival cruise, but how this played out for you and probably many others, I understand the frustration, and the bad feeling it leaves one with, and the reluctance to ever want to do business with them again.

Thanks again for your input, and I will look forward to your Norwegian Escape review, as I have enjoyed your previous cruise reviews. I am still trying to get myself fit again to travel, and hopefully to cruise again, and NCL ships with solo rooms are a big draw for me. So I wish you better luck with your next travel plans. Take care, and happy sailing.

Thanks for your comments. I hope that Carnival comes to their senses, and realizes all of the bad publicity this will reign down upon them... Remember a few months ago when they dragged that guy off the plane?

Sid_9169. Thank you for your report and your perspective on this situation. I think that at some point perhaps Carnival will offer full refunds for your altered cruise, and I think they should do so. I know that the hurricane is not their fault, however they should accept that the altered cruise does not fit into many if not most people's schedules and plans, and also that not everyone will want a cruise credit. So as a good will gesture, which they have previously done in situations beyond their control, they should offer full refunds to those who want. Then those affected people will likely some day book another Carnival cruise, but how this played out for you and probably many others, I understand the frustration, and the bad feeling it leaves one with, and the reluctance to ever want to do business with them again.

Thanks again for your input, and I will look forward to your Norwegian Escape review, as I have enjoyed your previous cruise reviews. I am still trying to get myself fit again to travel, and hopefully to cruise again, and NCL ships with solo rooms are a big draw for me. So I wish you better luck with your next travel plans. Take care, and happy sailing.

Yes, it's sad that the Kahuna cruise is going to go down the drain like this...

To my fellow Kahuna...I agree. My daughter had to evacuate S Georgia, so I just decided to go see a Braves game...And try to enjoy my day off! Teia

Its time to call your Credit Card and do a Charge Back telling them that your life is in danger and that other people had their sailings cancelled and your sailing waited until the last minute to try and suck revenue from their most revenue based cruise.

Carnival did this from greed. I would contact the local news station investigative unit a lawyer etc. Yes its an act of God but its the way Carnival is handling it. I smell a lawsuit waiting to happen.

I could cancel my flight with a full refund let alone hotels and Carnival is giving you a pro rated cruise that may or may not happen. Even with a good Travel Insurance it may not cover an "Act of God",

And even worse the infrastructure at the Port may be compromised let alone how does Carnival expect you to fly to a closed airport or on closed roads? Oh yea a FEMA helicopter that can land on the helipad. I don't think so.

You need to get onto the phone with your Credit Card Pronto as do other people on this crusie to do chargebacks to show Carnival that their decison is wrong .

Please keep us informed.

Did you not purchase travel insurance? That is always a good idea when traveling during hurricane season. Still possible to be hit by more Hurricane's before the end of Oct

If I was the OP I would wait and see if the shortened itinerary gets cancelled ( and refunds given )

Support staff, etc may not even be available Tuesday. Many evacuated to Georgia and I highly doubt that they are going to head back south as Irma makes her way north.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Out of curiosity what's happening with the current six night Vista Cruise that should under normal circumstances be docking into the port of Miami early tomorrow morning. Where can I track her? I'm supposed to be on this sailing along with many of you replying to this thread. Not being a cheerleader of Carnival; earlier today (mid morning) I called them. Was on hold approx. 25 minutes. Kept my phone on speaker. I'm on vacation so fortunately not at work just at home with my cat. Should have been with my close friend enjoying Miami Beach but... The agent was super friendly and I believe offered refunds or using the travel funds for a future cruise. I/we have up until lunch time on Tuesday to cancel. Unless Irma misses Miami I have the feeling this cruise is going to to get canceled. I agree with you the sooner the better would have been nice. Enjoy your Haloween cruise. I'm a bonafide cruise addict and may even try to snare a quick 3 nighter to satiate my habit. Otherwise, upon return to work, I'd make Hurricane Irma seem like a nasty little rain storm. BTW, though a cruise addict you'd have to pay me to travel on a holiday cruise. I make my own holidays and detest Haloween and Christmas. Haloween is an overrated holiday like Christmas and New Years. Hope everything works out for all of us. My previous 7 cruises all Carnival all in Mid August or September went off without a hitch. Gorgeous weather. Well, my second cruise was on the Fascination and was supposed to be Miami, Key West, and Cozumel but tropical storm Fran was loitering in the area like opportunistic lawyers at a disaster. Instead, I got my first visit to Grand Turk which I loved. Weather, as I said, was fantastic. Still not a bad record.

Out of curiosity what's happening with the current six night Vista Cruise that should under normal circumstances be docking into the port of Miami early tomorrow morning. Where can I track her? I'm supposed to be on this sailing along with many of you replying to this thread. Not being a cheerleader of Carnival; earlier today (mid morning) I called them. Was on hold approx. 25 minutes. Kept my phone on speaker. I'm on vacation so fortunately not at work just at home with my cat. Should have been with my close friend enjoying Miami Beach but... The agent was super friendly and I believe offered refunds or using the travel funds for a future cruise. I/we have up until lunch time on Tuesday to cancel. Unless Irma misses Miami I have the feeling this cruise is going to to get canceled. I agree with you the sooner the better would have been nice. Enjoy your Haloween cruise. I'm a bonafide cruise addict and may even try to snare a quick 3 nighter to satiate my habit. Otherwise, upon return to work, I'd make Hurricane Irma seem like a nasty little rain storm. BTW, though a cruise addict you'd have to pay me to travel on a holiday cruise. I make my own holidays and detest Haloween and Christmas. Haloween is an overrated holiday like Christmas and New Years. Hope everything works out for all of us. My previous 7 cruises all Carnival all in Mid August or September went off without a hitch. Gorgeous weather. Well, my second cruise was on the Fascination and was supposed to be Miami, Key West, and Cozumel but tropical storm Fran was loitering in the area like opportunistic lawyers at a disaster. Instead, I got my first visit to Grand Turk which I loved. Weather, as I said, was fantastic. Still not a bad record.
I believe all the ports are closed and all ships out to sea already will be hanging out in the Western Caribbean out of danger.

I am presently on the glory, perusing the Caribbean Sea as we are unable to arrive back in Miami until the port re-opens.

Though this unplanned extended Cruise does create an odd set of issues for those of us who cannot get home to our families and jobs, my heart goes out to all of you who are so greatly affected with the cancellations and adjustments to itinerary.

we are being treated exceptionally well here on the Glory however, I think Carnival has made some very very bad decisions regarding cancellations, itinerary changes, etc. And a ship debarked today in Miami?? Can't be true!

This sounds very similar to my experience with Carnival during Hurricane Katrina. We were booked on a 5 day on the Carnival Holiday out of Mobile. I called several days before the hurricane was projected to hit and called each day. I got oh no we are not going to cancel. Hurricanes happen all the time. Next, we are just going to shorten to a four day, now a three, two day. Oh, wait, we are now giving our ships to FEMA.

In order to get our money back from insurance we were instructed we had to attempt to get to our cruise. So two parents and 4 kids hop on an airplane headed for Nola, knowing this ship was not going anywhere. Since our flight had a plane change in DEN, this is as far as we got. The hurricane was hitting the gulf. Frontier still offered to get us into PNS. ( what are these people thinking????) I said no way. -Land and go straight to a shelter. What are you people thinking. The six of us had (the crappiest McDonald's) lunch at the DEN airport, waited in line for several hours and finally got a flight back home. Just in time to send the kids to bed and empty six suitcases of clean laundry.

I found Carnival to have the most terrible customer service. They had no idea what was going on. I got told a different story each time I called. It took a couple months to get my money back. I got a full refund but no more. I didn't have to file a claim through my travel insurance because the airline offered to give me a refund the same day. Carnival said they were still trying to figure things out. I wrote a letter telling them how I felt the situation was handled. For my troubles of complaining, I got a fruit basket that I could get the next time I sailed. Can't even give me a I'm sorry unless I spend more money with them. Just like you OP, Carnival put a bad taste in my mouth. I could not replace or postpone my vacation. My hubby substituted new living room furniture. Two years later we finally sailed on Princess. It took ten years for us to try Carnival. I will tell you I held on to that letter and my free gift and finally used it on our first Carnival cruise in 2015.

Have fun on NCL, OP. Maybe you will come back (like I did) and try Carnival some day. Happy sailing and safe travels!

I am presently on the glory, perusing the Caribbean Sea as we are unable to arrive back in Miami until the port re-opens.

Though this unplanned extended Cruise does create an odd set of issues for those of us who cannot get home to our families and jobs, my heart goes out to all of you who are so greatly affected with the cancellations and adjustments to itinerary.

we are being treated exceptionally well here on the Glory however, I think Carnival has made some very very bad decisions regarding cancellations, itinerary changes, etc. And a ship debarked today in Miami?? Can't be true!

Wow, what a difference a year makes! Last year at this time I was on my 7th. cruise all Carnival and it was by far my best. She's not the newest gee whiz ship in the Carnival family but, everything seemed to come together for a fantastic time. Also, after three solo cruises, I got to introduce one of my dearest friends to the world of cruising. I got her hooked. Who would ever think that I'd be back home with my cat worrying about my friends in Florida? If this was a normal vacation, I'd be getting up to take my morning pills at the Crystal Suites Hotel and Spa in Miami Beach before rising in a couple hours to get in an aquatic workout and last ocean dip before showering and heading to the port of Miami to the Vista. I've been cranky, cussing but, in the long run, feel blessed I have great friends and the opportunity to take cruises. My beloved parents never got to take a modern cruise. They took a one-way cruise when on their honeymoon from Miami to Havana on the SS Florida which to me looks like the Titanic's little sister. They told me it was so bad they flew back to Miami. This was 1955. Their cabins had bunk beds with one ladder for many state rooms. My dad had a bad back so mom got elected to sleep on the upper bunk! Somewhere in dusty photo albums are photos in beautiful black and white which I'll have to scan and share. Sorry for going off on a tangent. Could Carnival have done better with being proactive? Probably but take into consideration most of the Carnival employees live and work at Hurricane Irma Ground Zero. So if they are not at the top of their game I can give them a pass this go round. I know because I work for one of the largest domestic airlines and much of the time sh*t happens and sometimes we have to follow policies that don't make sense, and we are not at the top of our game. I can't blame any of us the cruise passengers nor the folks at Carnival for not being the best. This is a weather disaster of epic proportions and hopes none of us ever have to experience anything like this again. It's now 0500 EDT and I'm not sure if I'm going on my Vista Cruise, switching to the Pride out of my home town port or hanging around my messy digs with my cat eating junk food and watching TV. Irma has shifted West but Miami is still in its crosshairs with most of Florida. If this hits as they say the port, the cruise ships and headquarters could be things of the past and any sense of normalcy will be a long time coming. I don't wish this on anyone except Kim Jung Oon. For my money, he can float like a chubby dead limpet face down in the ocean after a storm surge. florida001.jpg

Vista on 10/7/17, look forward to our two cruises a year on spring and fall teacher break. Heart breaking to see islands that we have visited over 45 cruises facing this devastation. Will be watching this page for anyone going on a cruise prior to our departure.

Sounds like the cruise lines have been 'dumping' passengers OFF the ships into the nightmare of the airport?

Maybe they need this:

(///The governor just stated if you can't get out of any mandatory evacuation zone, whether for fuel or any reason at all, call 1-800-955-5504, right now! He said they will do anything in their power to help get anyone in a mandatory evacuation area out. Even if you are elderly, disabled, have pets, have no money, any reason at all---they will get you and your loved ones out.)- from a post via other forum

If Irma is as bad as it looks like it is going to be, then it will be a week before the ports reopen, providing it hits as scheduled, before Sid's cruise.

(love the space phone, my hubby needs the space phone 9168 model)

Sounds like the cruise lines have been 'dumping' passengers OFF the ships into the nightmare of the airport?

If ppl are getting off the ship in these areas its because they want or need too. Some have families they need to try and get to to make sure they are safe. But all the ports are closed in the danger areas, so the ships have headed out to sea to keep everyone safe!

My fingers are crossed that they will just cancel the Vista cruise, now set to depart on Tuesday the 12th... I really don't want a future cruise credit with Carniavl. I have looked into upcoming sailings on the Vista, and even a year out they're running close to $2,000 or more for an inside cabin. I'm a solo, so paying for 2 while only cruising as one. And, yes, the space phone 9169 is pretty awesome. It's superior to the iphone 25 which won't even be invented for decades...

Maybe they need this:

(///The governor just stated if you can't get out of any mandatory evacuation zone, whether for fuel or any reason at all, call 1-800-955-5504, right now! He said they will do anything in their power to help get anyone in a mandatory evacuation area out. Even if you are elderly, disabled, have pets, have no money, any reason at all---they will get you and your loved ones out.)- from a post via other forum

If Irma is as bad as it looks like it is going to be, then it will be a week before the ports reopen, providing it hits as scheduled, before Sid's cruise.

(love the space phone, my hubby needs the space phone 9168 model)

My fingers are crossed that they will just cancel the Vista cruise, now set to depart on Tuesday the 12th... I really don't want a future cruise credit with Carnival. I have looked into upcoming sailings on the Vista, and even a year out they're running close to $2,000 or more for an inside cabin. I'm a solo, so paying for 2 while only cruising as one. And, yes, the space phone 9169 is pretty awesome. It's superior to the iPhone 25 which won't even be invented for decades...

Cool Cruiser: I too have been in that position as a solo traveler. And as mentioned if we didn't have Jihad Nature's slap in the face with Irma you and I would now be off the coast of Florida cruising towards Grand Turk. I would hope rates on the Vista come down a bit as the new Horizon will be sailing out of Miami this time next year. And I hope Carnival gets the memo and has some mini solo cabins available so solo cruisers won't get screwed. I can understand Carnival and the other line's main reason is to make money. It's not Bernie Sanders land. But the single traveler has been as second class citizen way too long. Other cruise companies are adjusting their business model. In the future if, I find myself in the position of cruising solo contact me maybe we can share resources. If you can put up with my desire to have the cabin meat locker cold and me being a night owl we just may be able to save some serious coin while adding to the profits of the cruise and tourist industries. I always cruise this time of year because this is when I take my vacation weeks. My birthday is in mid-August and that is still high season meaning kids, families, crowds and big money. I travel non-revenue as an airline employee and lose out to the "summer people" who fill our planes. If our Vista Cruise gets docked I'm seriously considering taking a three-night quickie next weekend to at least satiate my cruising addiction till next year. As I mentioned I'll never take a cruise during Halloween or the Holidays. Too much money, too crowded and I can't be bothered with Haloween hype.

Carnival Fascination 2007

Carnival Fascination 2008

Carnival Imagination 2010

Carnival Victory 2013

Carnival Conquest 2014

Carnival Breeze 2015

Carnival Glory 2016

Carnival Vista Vista 2017 ???